• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#46 King Schit

King Schit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

That's what we needed. Pussy GMs like Hurney.take the family thing to far. Gman is straight Godfather

I think you just coined Gettleman's new nickname... "The Godfather".

#47 ajax4132

ajax4132

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

If we have no wrs next year, then there will be a good reason not to like him

#48 Chief Keek

Chief Keek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

So the players have to actually earn their contracts now and they're not going to be overpaid? I don't see the problem with that. If they want to keep getting overpaid for average play and a losing record they can go right ahead but just not here.

#49 QueensKing

QueensKing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

But by that rationale, players should have been giving all kinds of warm fuzzy discounts when Hurney was here because gee whiz they just love the organization. Charles Johnson got a massive contract. Charles Godfrey got a massive contract. Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams both got massive contracts. Jon Beason at one point signed the largest contract ever for a MLB. None of these guys took a voluntary paycut when we were in cap hell every year because they just love Charlotte.

As fans we tend to want to keep players around eva use we get attached to them. They are the athletes who get us all pumped up on Sundays, not the fat bellied GM who tucks his polo shirt into his short shorts. So we take it personal when they get mad (Smitty) or when they leave on less than stellar terms (Beason).

At the end of the day I'll take Gettleman's approach ten times out if ten. No more max contracts for making topless workout videos or for riding stationary bikes. Hardy was a clear example. No, we will not overpay you for one solid year. He produced again this past season, and will now be well compensated for it. I have no problem with paying top tier talent top tier money, but for too long we've given out contracts that are out of line with performance or playing time.

Do your job, you'll get paid. Do it really well, you'll get paid really well. Very simple. Riding the coat tails of a decent season you had years ago isn't gonna fly anymore, and this fan couldn't be any happier about that.

In no way did I argue for Hurney's tactics, he paid players more than what they earned or commanded.  I was mostly referring to situations of hold-outs, players giving a "home town discount" and the Smitty situation where he found out about his situation secondhand.  He can be cutthroat, but a good leader also is honest and builds rapport and some things suggest that he hasn't done that so far, and has possibly created distrust with some of the players. 

He should definitely play hardball to an extent, but if he doesn't go about it the right way, we'll have a team full of players who have the same attitude as he's projecting.  Imagine the power that Cam and Luke could have.  Both could legitimately come in and ask for the max for their position, and probably get someone to pay it. 

#50 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

i think in one year of managing the team, he's done plenty to earn that respect.

he doesn't hide the fact that his job is to make the franchise better...not to be liked by the employees. his commitment is to the team, not the players.

i think he's a likeable fellow, he's just not trying to be their buddy like hurney was. business first.

I'm not sure that always work, though. NFL players aren't just employees. They're practically the commodity. So a happy medium needs to be reached. Talking tough sounds great until you need to sign high profile FAs. What do you think Gross would tell Monroe in regard to Gettleman in a conversation? That's a guy with some choices now. Each of those players are millionaires with lawyers/agents. Not ordinary employees. Can't play game with them(Maybe the UDFAs. :)).

I wouldn't advise anyone to use the NFL as example of how to run their private businesses.

#51 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

What do you think Gross would tell Monroe in regard to Gettleman in a conversation?

what do you think he'd say? that he didn't like him and still doesn't like him?

#52 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,485 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hurney:  Players get overpaid, "we love Hurney!"

Gettleman:  Players are forced to accept their worth, "we didn't like him at first!"

weird, huh...

#53 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

#54 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Gross likes him now, for what it's worth.  Perhaps this is the general sentiment, unlike what many of you are trying to suggest.

#55 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

what do you think he'd say? that he didn't like him and still doesn't like him?

Enjoy South Beach, Eugene Monroe. lol

#56 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Gross likes him now, for what it's worth.  Perhaps this is the general sentiment, unlike what many of you are trying to suggest.

You think Gross converted in just a season? After trying to play with his money, I doubt it.

#57 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

When I was a kid, I would have been pissed off if the Grinch replaced Santa Clause.

#58 The_Mango55

The_Mango55

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

While I'm fine with his strategy, posters have to accept what comes with it.

I don't want to see any more posters bitching about players being greedy. That's a double standard.

#59 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

You think Gross converted in just a season? After trying to play with his money, I doubt it.

Hey, man, let me delude myself. There is a chance...

#60 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Gettleman is raising the standard here. He's not going to dole out ridiculous contracts to marginal talents like Hurney did. How would anybody be surprised that the players weren't very happy when a real authority showed up? That's like being pissed that a stricter parent came home and stopped playtime when it got a little raucous. Sure the fun part of the day is over, but now we're eating dinner instead of having a mighty max wedged up someone's nostril eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com