134 replies to this topic

#85 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Um, who cares? I feel like you keep trying to counter argue and downplay the importance of the bigger point here. It's important to be sentimental, but not to the point of detrimence and only when you've earned it. Maybe he should have worded his words about smitty at the combine a bit better, but in all honesty, who cares? Hurney was too sentimental with his job, and in this business that almost never produces consistent results. Why do you think JR hired someone like gettleman? Someone with massive personnel experience who's worked in New York, the most cut throat city on earth, for some 10 years? Winning > Niceness in sports whether we like it or not. Just ask Belichick. His job is to build a winner not make best friends with the players. We'll see if he can, but so far it's working out. Stop worrying about whether the players like him or not, that bears nothing on the performance of the team.

Sure most people may not care, but some do.  If any point is being downplayed, it's the fact that you can run an NFL franchise without publicly stepping on players' toes. This is especially true as it pertains to fan favorites and franchise legends, no less. The Hoody keeps all his negotiations in house. Nobody said that you had to be nice, just professional, respectful and hopefully tactful in your public relations. I've stated that I love G-man, and the way that he goes about his business, but no one is perfect. In the end, I would desire that he not alienate players or stars with his mouth in the future, but if he does I guess I'll shake my head and take the good with the bad. But I'm not gonna pretend that talking too much in matters of contractual and personnel changes are a good thing if it's not. People can be naive all they like, but the league is watching, players are watching, and free agents are watching. It does matter how the organization is perceived to treat its players, coaches, (and even fans in some respects).  Ultimately it all can affect the performance of the team. In my opinion, to say anything less is just being shortsighted and simplistic. That is what is being downplayed. 

#86 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Um, who cares? I feel like you keep trying to counter argue and downplay the importance of the bigger point here. It's important to be sentimental, but not to the point of detrimence and only when you've earned it. Maybe he should have worded his words about smitty at the combine a bit better, but in all honesty, who cares? Hurney was too sentimental with his job, and in this business that almost never produces consistent results. Why do you think JR hired someone like gettleman? Someone with massive personnel experience who's worked in New York, the most cut throat city on earth, for some 10 years? Winning > Niceness in sports whether we like it or not. Just ask Belichick. His job is to build a winner not make best friends with the players. We'll see if he can, but so far it's working out. Stop worrying about whether the players like him or not, that bears nothing on the performance of the team.

pretty much this..."like him"...."don't like him"....who cares?

job number one is make the team better. to make sure you have the right coach and the right players and you fit those right players under the tight budget you are left with.

it doesn't matter if the players like the guy who decides if they have a job or not. it doesn't hurt if they do, but it's not going to matter. you do your job well and try to have reasonable expectations of salary and stay flexible in that regard and you should keep your job.

#87 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationSouth Florida
SUPPORTER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

That's all fine and dandy but that can cause problems. Soooooooo.... Work on that otherwise I'm extremely happy with who we got

If he didn't change in New York, what makes you think he'll change here? Like I said previously in another thread, G-Man is who he is.

#88 Carolina Mike

Carolina Mike

It's a Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Not a surprise at all. How many people here "love" their boss, manager or pay department?

#89 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

if players don't like the coach or don't like each other...that's probably an issue.

if the players don't like the guy who gets/keeps them employed, that's not that big of an issue. it's not like they have to spend every day with the guy or anything.

#90 Panthers111

Panthers111

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Love DG he understands how there is a shift in terms of the money in the NFL

Think about this.

Whenever top free agent hits the market chances are they are going to get overpaid because some sucky team has alot of money and really need talent. Then when other player's contract needs to be renewed they compare their worth to the overpaid guy who just got paid big bucks. I deserve more than him cause I am better. Heck just look at Romo, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler and other guys. Everyone is overpaying. Guess what happens when you do that? You run out of money to field the entire team which is what you see now. 

Cowboys Saints and other teams just flat out don't have any money and they have to release a ton of players. Now you have a bunch of free agents wanting to get paid and there is no money. There is a reason the salary cap got raised 10mil this year. The practice of overpaying is killing teams. That is why you get those 1 year mercenary deals DG was talking about.  

#91 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

I don't care if players like a GM, as long as they respect him.

Ask anybody who's played for the Patriots and then been jettisoned how warm and fuzzy the team was to them.

You want to draw the best players?  Put together a roster that can win Super Bowls.

You want to draw players that talk a good game but are ultimately happy just getting a paycheck?  Run your team like Hurney did.

#92 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

I really don't give two shits about anyone liking him. It isn't high school.

Just keep things in house, and talk to guys directly. I don't think that's a foreign concept.

#93 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• LocationILM
Administrators

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

is one-sided respect really respect?

Getting paid is respect.

#94 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Getting paid is respect.

If that's the case, then all the players are respected.  But, we all know it's not that simple. Money doesn't necessarily translate to respect. Life isn't that simple.

#95 Jimmy

Jimmy

Beer Me

• LocationOn A Mother F'ing Boat
SUPPORTER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Love it x100000000000000000

#96 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Family dont steal money from each other (Stewart).

Must be tough for these guys to have a real GM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users