• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

For me, there are only 3 real candidates for ACC POY. I don't think I could fault any choice of Paige, Parker, or Warren, but figured we could use a thread to maybe have a decent discussion about it (lol at that thought).

Jabari Parker - The easy choice for Freshman of the Year, but can he double dip and get POY as well? The most talented of the 3, and likely top 3 NBA draft pick, but Duke "underachieved" by finishing 3rd in the ACC. 

30.3 MPG, 19.2 PPG (.487 FG%, .371 3P%, .738 FT%), 9.0 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.4 BPG, 1.0 SPG

Marcus Paige - Plain and simple, the heart of Carolina's team and the reason they've rebounded so well from their bad start in conference play. Big shot after big shot, and an absolute closer who makes UNC dangerous every time they play. 

35.6 MPG, 17.1 PPG (.440 FG%, .395 3P%, .876 FT%), 3.3 RPG, 4.5 APG, .0.2 BPG, 1.6 SPG

TJ Warren - NC State would be absolute garbage without Warren. Instead, they're sneaky dangerous but only decent at best because they couldn't close out games. Preseason 10th, they finished 7th despite losing close games to Syracuse, UNC, Wake, and others where NC State Shiiiiiiiiiiiit showed up. The dude simply gets buckets and went for over 40 in back to back games this week. 

34.8 MPG, 24.2 PPG (.528 FG%, .301 3P%, .699 FG%), 6.9 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.6 BPG, 1.8 SPG

All things considered, Jabari is the most talented, but Paige and Warren mean more to their respective teams. Jabari is still the favorite to some, and some knock Warren for not leading State for the tourney where their bubble has seemed to have already burst. For me, Warren SHOULD win it, but may not. Jabari will get some votes due to his name, and Duke being the best team of the group. (Yes, that can be debated. But with all playing to their potential, Duke is better than UNC, IMO). As I said, I can't fault any of the 3 listed if they win it. My heart says TJ, head says Jabari, and Paige is the dark horse. 

So, who gets your vote? 

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,589 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

T.J. Warren and it ain't even close...

I believe Warren is the first player since Redick to have back-to-back 40 point games.

#3 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

1. TJ Warren

2a. Marcus Page 

2b. Jabari Parker

I'm  sure I could list some more but TJ Warren is the favorite (even if he is from State :D). If Page and Parker were more consistent it would be tough. Would consider throwing Tyler Ennis in there maybe Rodney Hood if he played Carolina every game (sigh)

#4 Omega Atrocity

Omega Atrocity

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Imagine how bad NC State would be without TJ Warren. Easy vote for me too. Paige and Parker are both huge for their team too, but TJ Warren is the clear choice for me.

#5 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,130 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

Everyone in the entire world knows that he's getting the ball and he is going to score and they can't do jack poo about it. Also extremely efficient shooter and has played good defense and getting rebounds as well.

Also most ppg in a power conference. If your head says Parker, you need to get it checked. TJ Buckets and it isn't close.

#6 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

Everyone in the entire world knows that he's getting the ball and he is going to score and they can't do jack poo about it. Also extremely efficient shooter and has played good defense and getting rebounds as well.

Also most ppg in a power conference. If your head says Parker, you need to get it checked. TJ Buckets and it isn't close.

Wasn't enough for Erick Green to win it outright (higher scorer than TJ) last year

Or the 4 guys ahead of Zeller in 11-12

Or Delaney in 09-10

Lawson wasn't Top 10 in scoring in 08-09

The point being, points alone aren't always enough. Talking heads like Goodman recently (maybe even Bilas if I remember correctly) have discredited Warren's chances because State is NIT bound. Warren "should" win, sure. But will he? Different question, with the head taking into account a myriad of factors that people with actual votes consider and believe. The player with the best season or stats doesn't always win, which is why people continue to debate whether MVP's are given to the actual most valuable player, or the best player on the best team. 

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

My Awards

Coach Of The Year: Tony Bennett, UVA- squad lacks premier talent but they find a way to win with defense and hustle.

Player Of The Year: T.J. Warren: NCSU- Not his fault that his supporting cast is garbage.

Freshmen Of The Year: Jabari Parker: Duke- No explanation needed, best freshmen in the country in my opinion.

Most Improved: Marcus Paige: UNC- Many questioned this kid coming into this year, not anymore.

Defensive Player Of The Year: K.J. McDaniels: Clemson- This kid does all the gritty things (rebound, block shots, and creates turnovers) better than anyone.

ACC Sixth Man: Ian Miller: Florida State- For some odd reason, Miller came off the bench for most of the year; and he lit teams up.

First Team: Macrus Paige (UNC), K.J. McDaniels (Clemson), Jabari Parker (Duke), C.J. Fair (Syracuse), T.J. Warren (NCSU)

Second Team: Tyler Ennis (Syracuse), Oliver Hanlan (Boston College), Rodney Hood (Duke), Lamar Patterson (Pittsburgh), James Michael McAdoo (UNC)

Third Team: Malcolm Brogdon (UVA), Dez Wells (Maryland), Joe Harris (UVA), Pat Connaughton (UVA), Daniel Miller (Georgia Tech)

Honorable Mention: Erik Atkins (Notre Dame), Rion Brown (Miami), Jerami Grant (Syracuse), Talib Zanna (Pittsburgh), Garrick Sherman (Notre Dame)

Deserves Recognition: Ian Miller (Florida State), Aaron Thomas (Florida State), Jarell Eddie (Virginia Tech), Devin Thomas (Wake Forest), Okaro White (Florida State)

Last Extra: Akil Mitchell (UVA)

Rookie Fist Team: Tyler Ennis (Syracuse), Anthony Barber (NCSU), Devin Wilson (Virginia Tech), Jabari Parker (Duke), Kennedy Meeks (UNC)

All-Defensive Team: Tyler Ennis (Syracuse), Marcus Paige (UNC), K.J. McDaniels (Clemson), Akil Mitchell (UVA), James Michael McAdoo (UNC)

#8 Guest_Dark Knight_*

Guest_Dark Knight_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

1- TJ Warren

2A- Marcus Paige
2B- Jabari Parker

3- everybody else

#9 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:04 AM

Wasn't enough for Erick Green to win it outright (higher scorer than TJ) last year

Or the 4 guys ahead of Zeller in 11-12

Or Delaney in 09-10

Lawson wasn't Top 10 in scoring in 08-09

The point being, points alone aren't always enough. Talking heads like Goodman recently (maybe even Bilas if I remember correctly) have discredited Warren's chances because State is NIT bound. Warren "should" win, sure. But will he? Different question, with the head taking into account a myriad of factors that people with actual votes consider and believe. The player with the best season or stats doesn't always win, which is why people continue to debate whether MVP's are given to the actual most valuable player, or the best player on the best team. 

Not an NCSU fan, but I'll back Warren. 

1st in points per game

1st in field goals made and attempted (total and per game)

1st in offensive rebounds per game

1st in 2pt field goals made and attempted

2nd in 2pt field goal percentage 

3rd in adjusted field goal percentage

3rd in total offensive rebounds

4th in total steals, steals per game, and steals per 40

5th in minutes per game

7th in field goal percentage

7th in free throws attempted per game

8th in total free throws attempted

10th in rebounds per game

10th in free throws made per game

In my opinion, Warren's main competition is Parker but I'm just trying to get the point across that Warren can do a lot more than just score (rebound, steal, efficient, etc...)

I would love for Paige to win it but he is most likely going to finish third because he doesn't always put together complete games (start to finish).

#10 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

The dilemma with the ACCPOY award is that it has never been defined as to what exactly it is. Does the award go to the best player in the conference, or does the award go to the to the most valuable player on a team in the conference?

If it goes to the best player in the conference, the voting should finish as followed: 1. Jabari Parker, 2. Marcus Paige, 3. T.J. Warren. Jabari Parker is without a doubt the best player in the ACC bar none, there really is no discussion here. Some might say Warren is better than Paige, but I'm not buying that. When Marcus puts full games together, he is one of if not the best point guard in country (along with Napier and Smart).

If the award goes to the most valuable player on a team in the conference, then this is how the voting should finish: 1. T.J. Warren, 2. Marcus Paige, 3. Jabari Parker. Let's face it, without Warren NCSU; is probably a 7-10 win team (regular season) and without Paige; UNC is probably a 12-15 win team (regular season). Though Parker is a very good player, people forget that Cook and Sulaimon were quite good last year and led Duke to a 30 win season; and let us not forget Rodney Hood. Without Parker, Duke is still looking at probably an 19-22 win season (regular season).

Personally, based on past results; I believe that about 60% of the voters see the award as option number one (best player in the conference) while about 40% see the award as option two (most valuable player). 

Because of this I expect Parker to win the award, but I also expect to see Warren getting quite a few votes as well. Unfortunately for Paige, I see him finishing third because no one has ever taken the time to actually say, "hey, this is what the criteria for this award is."

As you guys can tell from my above posts, I tend to lead toward option two and if I had a vote it would go to Warren.

#11 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

Also I was wrong about the Redick/Warren thing.

Warren is the first player since Redick (1997-98) to have multiple 40 point games in a single ACC season.

Warren is also the first ACC player since Kenny Anderson (1990) to have back to back 40 point games.

#12 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Parker may be more talented physically. Warrens a better basketball player at the college level right now. TJ warren all day. Parker then Paige.

#13 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

If you are going on strictly numbers - it's Warren. Erick Green won it last year (along with Larkin) and he was on a worse team than State's team this year. I don't even think VT was a NIT team last year, which is where NCSU will probably be this year. 

It's just hard for me to give awards like this out to players who don't make the playoffs - the playoffs of course being the NCAAT. I don't like when they give MVP awards to NFL players when they don't make the playoffs. To me the ACCPOY is the MVP of a good ACC team (that makes the NCAAT) during ACC play only. Paige and Parker are 1 and 1a. 

#14 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

All ACC teams announced. No surprises. Parker and Warren got the same # of ACC votes.

http://www.theacc.co...03-10-14_lzzl91

Big day for Marcus Paige. Air Pierre on All ACC Defensive Team; Meeks on All ACC fresh team. 

#15 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

The dilemma with the ACCPOY award is that it has never been defined as to what exactly it is. Does the award go to the best player in the conference, or does the award go to the to the most valuable player on a team in the conference?

If it goes to the best player in the conference, the voting should finish as followed: 1. Jabari Parker, 2. Marcus Paige, 3. T.J. Warren. Jabari Parker is without a doubt the best player in the ACC bar none, there really is no discussion here. Some might say Warren is better than Paige, but I'm not buying that. When Marcus puts full games together, he is one of if not the best point guard in country (along with Napier and Smart).

If the award goes to the most valuable player on a team in the conference, then this is how the voting should finish: 1. T.J. Warren, 2. Marcus Paige, 3. Jabari Parker. Let's face it, without Warren NCSU; is probably a 7-10 win team (regular season) and without Paige; UNC is probably a 12-15 win team (regular season). Though Parker is a very good player, people forget that Cook and Sulaimon were quite good last year and led Duke to a 30 win season; and let us not forget Rodney Hood. Without Parker, Duke is still looking at probably an 19-22 win season (regular season).

Personally, based on past results; I believe that about 60% of the voters see the award as option number one (best player in the conference) while about 40% see the award as option two (most valuable player). 

Because of this I expect Parker to win the award, but I also expect to see Warren getting quite a few votes as well. Unfortunately for Paige, I see him finishing third because no one has ever taken the time to actually say, "hey, this is what the criteria for this award is."

As you guys can tell from my above posts, I tend to lead toward option two and if I had a vote it would go to Warren.

I agree with you 100%!  Parker is the best player in the ACC but Warren is the most valuable to his team.  Parker averages 19ppg, 9rpg, shoots 49% from the field, and 37% from 3 while Warren averages 25ppg, 7rpg, shoots 53% from the field, and 29% from 3.  The stats are pretty similar it's just Warren has to take more shots because he has to carry his team and he knows it.  So like you said it depends on which camp you fall in, is it the best player or most valuable to his team.  They are both great players so either one that gets it is fine with me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com