Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just to clear something up....

48 posts in this topic

Posted

He is a complex individual, just like any other person. He's done a lot of good, and some bad too.

Ugh, this feels like a breakup.

1 person likes this

Posted

The good and bad of Smittys personality can both be true- they don't cancel each other. 

Posted

His jersey isn't in the team store online (via panthers.com).  Has this always been the case, I don't do much online shopping?  Not trying to read into anything but if it has been and now its not, hmmmm...... 

Posted

Great players almost never ever ride off into the sunset.  They used to being great and hang on too long (although I don't think this is the case with Smith)  I don't think anyone can argue his present play on the field is worth the money we're paying him.  The thing I love about Gettlemen is he knows what a player is worth and he's not emotional when it comes to business decisions.  

I loved Smith as a player and enjoyed watching him grow as a player and as a man.  He's come a long way.  He's given the city of Charlotte and the Panthers a great deal but don't mitigate what the Panthers have done for him.  They overlooked numerous incidents and paid him a lot of money over the years.  They've treated him fairly and I don't think they've done anything really that bad in how they handled the situation.  Could they have taken him behind closed doors and said he may be cut.  Sure.  But in the grand scheme of things both sides have benefited greatly over the years.  And Smith will still retire a Panther whenever that time comes.

1 person likes this

Posted

Very sad times, I wanted Smith to go out on his own terms, not forced out.

Posted

HE turned me into a newt!. . . . it got better.

1 person likes this

Posted

Zod is right ...

Smitty has been great to the fans, especially the kids.  In addition to everything you read and hear about Steve in the community and signing autographs during training camp, it goes beyond that.  My seats aren't far behind the Panthers bench and Steve interacts with the kids / crowd more than the rest of the team combined.  Routinely, he will autograph a couple hats towards the end of each game and hand them to kids along the sideline.  At the away games, he is practically the only Panther that acknowledges our fans beyond a wave while trotting off the field. 

Yes, he has made a few mistakes along the way.  He will be the first to tell you that.   I don't know him personally but have interacted with him off the field a few times.  Given that he is arguably the greatest Panther of all-time, he carries it with more humility than many other players that are difficult to recognize without their jerseys.  As for his character ... his incidents have primarily been on the field or in the locker room.  I'll take that anyday over those that pollute the community.

1 person likes this

Posted

His jersey isn't in the team store online (via panthers.com).  Has this always been the case, I don't do much online shopping?  Not trying to read into anything but if it has been and now its not, hmmmm...... 

Actually, you need to worry when it goes on sale.  No joke.

Posted

We just gotta wait until something happens

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

and his next job will be in the MEDIA.

Posted

It just really pains me. Smitty has always been one of my favorite Panthers, my all time favorite moment was his catch in the double OT win against the Rams. The fact is that if the Panthers want to build on future success, we need to move on from a 34 year old WR who noticeably lost a step last season. The best case scenario would be Smitty taking a pay cut, but you can't hate on the guy for not. 

Posted

It just really pains me. Smitty has always been one of my favorite Panthers, my all time favorite moment was his catch in the double OT win against the Rams. The fact is that if the Panthers want to build on future success, we need to move on from a 34 year old WR who noticeably lost a step last season. The best case scenario would be Smitty taking a pay cut, but you can't hate on the guy for not. 

I was at that game in St Louis. Awesome!   We were reeling and close to losing that game when Jake lobbed one up and Smitty ran past Sehorn for the win.  The place went silent except for the spattering of panther fans throughout the dome.

Seriously, for all the crap that St Louis gets, it is a great place to visit for a game.  At 9:00 am, the massive parking lot around the stadium was full of tailg8ors.  Most were cordial and surprised to see Panther fans.  After the game, there was a restaurant / bar area next to the stadium (the Landing?)  that was packed for hours.  It reminded me of the old steel buildings along the river in Pittsburgh.  The fans were fun to party with. 

Man ... than seems like a long time ago.