• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,612 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

thinking that this might be something we have to do and is necessary from a business pov is hating smith? thinking that we'll be ok and that we'll find other talented player for cam to throw to is hating him?

where's that frikkin facepalm gif?

#32 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Do you know for a fact that G-man did ask Smitty anything? As I just typed in another response, it's completely possible he didn't ask him at all in the meeting and straight up put him on the trade block with plans to cut him if a trade didn't work out.

isnt it completly possible that gman asked him to take a paycut/restructure??? and steve thought to him self 'hey ive got about 2 years tops'  2 more paydays before he sails off in the sunset.......so he said no because he thinks he earned his money???

works both ways...

#33 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

isnt it completly possible that gman asked him to take a paycut/restructure??? and steve thought to him self 'hey ive got about 2 years tops'  2 more paydays before he sails off in the sunset.......so he said no because he thinks he earned his money???

works both ways...

Yes it is, and my point is no one knows. My main point is that even keeping Smith at his current number is much better than cutting him, as we'd only be freeing up $2million in cap space.

#34 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

What's hilarious is the guys saying things like "we'll find more talent its just business!!" will just fade away and start spouting more company line horseshit if it doesn't pan out. Where will we find talent?  Will we overpay for Decker? Will we sign Nicks' overrated ass and hope he doesn't sandbag on us as well? Sign Britt and hope he doesn't knock off a 7-11?

You replace Smith when you have someone to replace him with. We're talking about replacing Smith with King and McNutt on roster and nothing else.

For whatever reason the team is taking the retard fuging backwards route on how to develop and behave with a franchise QB. Most places build around them as they're smart enough to realize what they have. We build our defense and put the entire fuging offense on his back. Sorry Cam, we gave you Olsen 3 years ago, we need you to make things happen.

#35 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yes it is, and my point is no one knows. My main point is that even keeping Smith at his current number is much better than cutting him, as we'd only be freeing up $2million in cap space.

If it were only this year then I would agree. It's about the entire contract however, not just 2014. Can't have one without the other unless he restructure/redoes that awful contract which from what if read is only renegotiable this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#36 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I want to see some visual evidence from just one of you geniuses that, prior to Gettleman's comments, suggested cutting him for cap reasons as a good idea. Otherwise, I will assume you are simply supporting this move of the guy behind it (Gettleman) and not because of the reasoning behind it.

WTF?

#37 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

If it were only this year then I would agree. It's about the entire contract however, not just 2014. Can't have one without the other unless he restructure/redoes that awful contract which from what if read is only renegotiable this year.

We could cut him after this season.

#38 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

We could cut him after this season.

Yes but the hit would be much worse. It's now or never as far as his contract is concerned.

#39 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes but the hit would be much worse. It's now or never as far as his contract is concerned.

The hit would be bad regardless, even if we cut him now. It's a tough situation and we'll just have to see what happens.

#40 Jimmy

Jimmy

Beer Me

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationOn A Mother F'ing Boat

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

All this talk about loyalty takes me back to 2010 when Steve Smith went to JR's house asking to be traded and dealt to a SUper Bowl conteneder (Chargers, Baltimore).  Would love to dig some old threads up from the Huddle when that happened.  Sure there are some who are singing a different tune today. 

#41 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

The hit would be bad regardless, even if we cut him now. It's a tough situation and we'll just have to see what happens.

And that is what most of us are saying. Let it play out before we hit the panic button.

#42 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

All this talk about loyalty takes me back to 2010 when Steve Smith went to JR's house asking to be traded and dealt to a SUper Bowl conteneder (Chargers, Baltimore).  Would love to dig some old threads up from the Huddle when that happened.  Sure there are some who are singing a different tune today. 

Opinions can't change over time and under different circumstances? To me having the ability to alter your viewpoint when confronted with new information is a sign of emotional and intellectual maturity.

#43 Jimmy

Jimmy

Beer Me

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationOn A Mother F'ing Boat

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Opinions can't change over time and under different circumstances? To me having the ability to alter your viewpoint when confronted with new information is a sign of emotional and intellectual maturity.

Thanks for making my point. Or misunderstanding it altogether. To be clear, there are those here who want him to stay come hell or high water but were probably the same people who defended him wanting to leave because we weren't very good. 

#44 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for making my point. Or misunderstanding it altogether. To be clear, there are those here who want him to stay come hell or high water but were probably the same people who defended him wanting to leave because we weren't very good. 

Hokay. I don't think the two situations draw as easy a comparison. I also think there's a lot of misplaced anger regarding how this has unfolded.

#45 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

This is where i stand... We have to do what we feel is best for the team. Smith makes more money than he contributes at this point. Always been a Smitty fan but a few years ago he made a decision that was best for him and asked to be traded. At this point we feel it is in our best interest to no longer go forward with him. 

Hope one day he realizes it was nothing personal, all business. It would be disappointing to me and most of our fan base if he held it against us because he truly does deserve a statue one day for his contributions to this franchise, fans, and community. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com