22 replies to this topic

#1 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Steve Smith will always be my favorite Panther.  I'm sure many of you feel the same way.  He's individually won more games for the Panthers than any other player.  His attitude is contagious not only on the field but off it.  No player has meant more to the franchise than him.  If he wins a Superbowl in the few remaining seasons he has left (should he miraculously stay with the Panthers or he wins one with another team) - there's no doubt in my mind he's a Hall of Famer.

That said, things have changed in Carolina.  There's a new emphasis on winning over loyalty.  Let's face it, Steve Smith has lost a few steps.  He's lost that initial burst of speed that could turn a 10 yard catch into a 50 yard TD.  While he's still a solid receiver, he's making the money that 27 year old Steve Smith would have made.  He'll be 35 when the season starts and in all likelihood his stats will continue to decrease.  He's not the same game-changing superstar he once was.  Sure he might go have a respectable season should he go somewhere else, but I understand if the Panthers decide to cut him.  It's hard not to get emotional about it because Steve Smith is the best Panther player ever.  

Everyone knows this day was coming - it's just a shame to see Smith's exit may not be on his terms.  Let's just give respect to the best Panther player of all time and wish him the best.  He's entertained us for over a decade and that's what he deserves.  No hate for Gettleman either - he's trying to do what's best for the team long term, and I also respect that.

GO PANTHERS. 

#2 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

This is basically what others have said in multiple posts in the other thread.  Thx for the summary, not sure it warranted a thread of its own though.

#3 Billy Love

Billy Love

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Steve Smith will always be my favorite Panther. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. He's individually won more games for the Panthers than any other player. His attitude is contagious not only on the field but off it. No player has meant more to the franchise than him. If he wins a Superbowl in the few remaining seasons he has left (should he miraculously stay with the Panthers or he wins one with another team) - there's no doubt in my mind he's a Hall of Famer.

That said, things have changed in Carolina. There's a new emphasis on winning over loyalty. Let's face it, Steve Smith has lost a few steps. He's lost that initial burst of speed that could turn a 10 yard catch into a 50 yard TD. While he's still a solid receiver, he's making the money that 27 year old Steve Smith would have made. He'll be 35 when the season starts and in all likelihood his stats will continue to decrease. He's not the same game-changing superstar he once was. Sure he might go have a respectable season should he go somewhere else, but I understand if the Panthers decide to cut him. It's hard not to get emotional about it because Steve Smith is the best Panther player ever.

Everyone knows this day was coming - it's just a shame to see Smith's exit may not be on his terms. Let's just give respect to the best Panther player of all time and wish him the best. He's entertained us for over a decade and that's what he deserves. No hate for Gettleman either - he's trying to do what's best for the team long term, and I also respect that.

GO PANTHERS.

Very well said sir

#4 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,836 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

no, you look!

bustedtees.545d1fa667ade786ffc1d092e9400

#5 Panthers69473

Panthers69473

Mr Mojo Risin

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

This is basically what others have said in multiple posts in the other thread. Thx for the summary, not sure it warranted a thread of its own though.

I believe it did far too many people take for granted what steve did and means to this franchise 5 9 hall of fame wrs dont grow on trees

#6 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

This is basically what others have said in multiple posts in the other thread.  Thx for the summary, not sure it warranted a thread of its own though.

I know.  Instead of trade speculation and rumors of signing another receiver, this thread is intended to be just a thank you thread to Steve.  I know a lot of people are upset about him probably leaving and I just wanted to offer up some grounding.

#7 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

The only thing, and I understand that I'm not an NFL GM, is that cutting Smith would absolutely not be a good move for the team. It would clear only $2million and would take away our only weapon at WR, and yes he is still a weapon, especially if we put him in the slot. Not to mention how important he is to Cam's development as a QB and a leader, and a young receiver if we draft one. Cutting Smitty would absolutely be the worst move Gettleman has made and will ever make. It will prevent us from having any chance at not only repeating as NFC South Champs and making the playoffs, but even at having back to back winning seasons for the first time ever. We won't continue to be relevant, and it will cost Rivera his head coaching career. Bad move all around. While it's true you can't have too much loyalty, like Hurney, you also can't have no loyalty. Smitty deserves the team's and G-man's respect, which, if he gets cut, he wouldn't get.

#8 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

3585430-in-before-the-lock.gif

#9 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

fug that, Steve Smith should be able to retire when he is ready as  a Panther…. fug this bullshit.

#10 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,208 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

well to keep this current the Steve Smith trade or cut story made the front page of Yahoo...

http://sports.yahoo....-214136947.html

#11 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Look...another Steve Smith thread!

#12 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yeah he's lost a step but he's still faster than a lot of receivers.

#13 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Look...another Steve Smith thread!

There will never be enough.  About to start another original thread "!tuc eb thgim thimS evetS" 

#14 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Need more Steve threads. There aren't enough.

#15 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Regardless of Smith's age he's by far the best WR on the team. Defenses has to plan against him. His leadership on the team can't immediately be replaced and he is a huge part of Cam's development. He's in Cams ear because Cam respects him. We need a number 2 or 1 to give Smith that complimentary WR he hasn't had since Moose. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com