114 replies to this topic

#71 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Or how teams allow it to be played out through the media.

This reminds me an awful lot of when Brian Dawkins was allowed to walk in Philly. He is arguably the most beloved Eagle of all time and I am surprised they didn't burn the city down when they let him go. For what it's worth, the President and GM eventually came out and said letting him go and especially the way they handled it was absolutely wrong and they really screwed up from a PR perspective. This appears to be headed down the same course and it really doesn't have to be that way. 

Yes, and you saw that first hand. This is all I'm saying. These are all people here, it just requires basic communication.

#72 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

No comment would have given him time to speak with Steve Smith.

Instead of saying what he did, and Steve Smith getting blindsided by the media, and having to respond.

No comment would have been taken the exact same way. Anything other than saying Smitty absolutely would be back would gave been taken the exact same way.

#73 KissMyConverse

KissMyConverse

ShoGun of Harlem

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSacramento
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say this, for all the people here now who talk about Hurney having a lot of yes men in the fan base. Many people seem to be doing the same for Gettleman. It is okay to disagree with some things he does. It doesn't mean I want him fired, or hate him.

1 Season, 15mil over the Cap, Glaring Holes with no money to fill them, inheriting a mess....

12-4 Record, NFCS Champs

I think there is pretty good reason why some of us are giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

#74 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Gettleman had plenty of options of things to say besides what he did. No comment was not the only option.

Regardless, one of the first things he should have done, was get in touch with Steve Smith, and arranged a sit down. Which by the way, shouldn't this have been something that he should have done before it even got to him being asked about it in the media if he was considering it all along?

#75 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

I think lying about it then turning around and doing it later would have pissed off Panthers fans even worse than this.

It depends how he turned it around. If he, around this time period, said something along the lines of "I've spoken to Steve and come to a consensus that we believe it's time to move on from him" then I'd be much more okay with the situation. But he's just dangling Smitty around like some washed up bait and didn't speak to him until a week after he spoke at the combine. He showed Smith no respect. I don't care what he showed to the media or the fans for that matter, but by lying to the media and speaking to Smith directly, he would show Smith respect. And that alone would make me much happier with the situation. I don't care what Panthers fans would think of it. 

#76 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Social media was speculating from Gettle's comments. Outside of a lie, no way to avoid the way this went down.

Actually the social media speculation didn't bother Steve (he is smarter than that), it was Gettleman's exact words that bothered him.....actually blindsided him is the the exact word he used.

#77 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Actually the social media speculation didn't bother Steve (he is smarter than that), it was Gettleman's exact words that bothered him.....actually blindsided him is the the exact word he used.

I actually think Gett was blindsided and was unprepared for the question. He said what he probably thought was an innocuous answer... That everyone was being evaluated.

Then this thing took on a life of its own.

#78 Match.com

Match.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

The same people who are saying they will not be going to anymore games will be right back on the bandwagon if we reload and keep winning. Get a grip...nothing ever stays the same.

I'm sure winning is not in the future. ...you know and I do

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#79 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I don't see how Gettleman could have been completely unprepared for such a question.

Again, if this was something he was considering, why did he not meet with Steve Smith before the media started asking questions? Obviously this whole thing is going to be a learning experience for Gettleman, I don't think, well I hope that he isn't going to make this mistake again.

#80 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Gettleman had plenty of options of things to say besides what he did. No comment was not the only option.

Regardless, one of the first things he should have done, was get in touch with Steve Smith, and arranged a sit down. Which by the way, shouldn't this have been something that he should have done before it even got to him being asked about it in the media if he was considering it all along?

I can say with almost 100% certainty that when DG replied to the question and said that everybody on the roster was being evaluated, that he didn't think it would get blown out of control so quickly that he needed to make a call to Smitty to smooth things out. By the time it got to that point, twitter and PFTMZ and all that were all over it and Smitty heard it and then didn't do the situation any favors by going on the radio.

You can say DG made an error in his answer yes. But couldn't Smitty have called him and said hey DG what's going on instead of going on the radio almost immediately to contribute fuel to this bullshit dumpster fire? I think he could have. DG isn't the only one to blame here.

Marriages can only end in two ways, death, or a messy, bitter divorce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users