Photo
- - - - -

Top 25 Paid WRs 2014

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#61 Bogart

Bogart

Muthafuka

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

So. $7 million in 2015 guaranteed money in 2015 even if we cut him?

I read $3.6 million guaranteed per year....I'll research.

That's they way I read it. And I read somewhere that the option year 2016 is actually picked up on June 1st 2014. So I'm sure that the guaranteed money for 2016 would be figure in there somewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#62 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Smith has $3 million that is fully protected this year in the event he is released, but the Panthers have time to decide on his fate which works to their advantage. Smith has an option bonus due of $3 million but the team has until June 30 to make a decision on this option. Normally the option would need to be exercised in the first few days of the League Year to facilitate a quick release for the player. By the time they would decide in this case, though, the bigger money in free agency will have dried up.

If the team fails to pick up the option and release Smith by July 1 they will owe him a $3 million non-exercise fee. If they release him they will need to pay him $3 million in fully guaranteed base salary. So $3 million of this money is indeed protected for Smith. In addition I believe that Smith’s guarantee is of the no-offset variety meaning he can double dip if released. So at a minimum Smith will earn $4 million in the NFL this season and most likely a few dollars more.

The Panthers would gain little by releasing Smith. His cap charge for the year would be $6 million, assuming his is a post June 1, and he is currently only counting for $7 million.  The team would then be responsible for $3 million in cap charges in 2015 ($4 million in acceleration and a $1 million credit for not picking up the option). His roster spot would also need to be replaced by someone making at least the minimum of $420,000. What it boils down to is that releasing Smith in 2014 is going to cost the Panthers $9.84 million in cap space and $3.84 million in cash plus a somewhat negative PR situation over the next two seasons.

The best case for both sides is to find a way to make Smith’s contract more reasonable for his age and expected performance level. According to a source with knowledge of Smith’s contract his true cash salary in 2014 would be $5.5 million due to half of his option being deferred until 2015. That should be the first starting point. Eliminate the option and pay him $5.5 million in 2015, with $2 million coming as a roster bonus in June (thus getting him more immediate cash than he would get in the option) and reducing his P5 to fully guaranteed $3.5 million. $5.5 million is likely more than he would make if the situation dragged out and he was released on July 1.

http://overthecap.co...olina-panthers/

#63 Bogart

Bogart

Muthafuka

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

So it still comes down to redoing the contract before June 30th. Which so far Steve has said publicly he will not do. We have come full circle with this debate and are no closer to an agreement. I say he is not worth his current rate regardless of past performance and you want to see him make more.

#64 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

So it still comes down to redoing the contract before June 30th. Which so far Steve has said publicly he will not do. We have come full circle with this debate and are no closer to an agreement. I say he is not worth his current rate regardless of past performance and you want to see him make more.

Not what I read.

The Panthers would gain little by releasing Smith. His cap charge for the year would be $6 million, assuming his is a post June 1, and he is currently only counting for $7 million.  The team would then be responsible for $3 million in cap charges in 2015 ($4 million in acceleration and a $1 million credit for not picking up the option). His roster spot would also need to be replaced by someone making at least the minimum of $420,000. What it boils down to is that releasing Smith in 2014 is going to cost the Panthers $9.84 million in cap space and $3.84 million in cash plus a somewhat negative PR situation over the next two seasons.

#65 TheNewStandard

TheNewStandard

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Dude, I just actually looked at the contract particulars instead of taking someone else's word for it. I was relaying to you what I was explained. So please understand how frustrated I am with all this.

As it appears, we are stuck with a, gulp-let me get this right, 9 million hit in dead cap if we release him before June 1st and that goes on 2014 cap figures. If the 3 million kicks in on day 1 of the '14 season, I'm not sure, but if he's on the roster it's prorated over the final 3 years of his contract. So it's looking like 9 before and 12 after the deadline.

if he were cut after the '14 season, the dead cap lowers to 7 mil dead against the cap for the '15 season and we just can't afford that number.

Basically, we have to do this now or things get really messy for Cam and Luke and anyone else who wants to come here for that matter.

Sorry for being a total a-hole and throwing out names, it was uncalled for and I'm as frustrated as you are with all this. There's more to it that we aren't being told and it sucks. It comes down to who is going to take the bit for us each of the next couple of seasons to keep us on track and this year it looks like Smitty because it costs too much to do this twice in one year with these big bonuses.