Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

When Has This Much Turnover Ever Resulted In a Successful Season?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 Third Degree

Third Degree

Bucket of Boat Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Relax guys, it's just the preseason

#17 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ohhhh no, one of the worst offenses last year got purged! Wtf r we thinking?

#18 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm clearly making a mockery of people who are blindly following him.

Lol, sorry about the friendly fire, man.

#19 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

i see this as

well we cant get any worse

#20 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Are people forgetting about our defense? And the draft? And the fact that there's still hundreds of free agents out there? Our offense was ranked 28th last season....it wasn't great to begin with

So instead of letting Shula go, we get rid of the players that did make a difference?

#21 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

I just hope we're being thorough and sending people over to cockpunch Newton at least once a say.

#22 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,344 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Those OL guys retiring is just part of the game...  could an argument be made that they picked this year for a reason?  Maybe...

I don't understand what's going on with WR, but I'm hoping there is a plan... I know Gman has one, I just can't figure out what it is...

Defense is fine... minus Mitchell and another decent CB, we should have a very solid D again.

#23 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Quit propagating this slanderous propaganda that we've lost the core of our team. It's disrespectful to the actual core of this team.

Lol...  quit overreacting and embellishing.  I did not say we lost our core, nor would I.  But, as many wise men in football have said, it's not your superstars that make up the whole of your team, it's the other 53 guys, and that's where we are going horribly wrong.

#24 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

This thread perfectly illustrates the shortcomings of inductive reasoning.

#25 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

You realize that an average receiver takes 1-2 years in the NFL to make a significant impact, don't you? We could get lucky and get one that is ready right out of the gate but that is unlikely.

I'm sure you also realize that it take time for an o line to gel and learn to work efficiently together.

Don't forget that our ball control offense played a large part in the 28th ranking.

#26 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Its way to early to be calling this offseason a failure. We are 2 days into free agency. When was the last time that a big name free agent that signed for millions of dollars worked out? I'm sure there are some but there are way more that sign these big contracts then get released two years later. We still have the draft ahead of us, as well as the entire fuging offseason. You see what the Buc's are doing. Every year they sign these free agents to massive contracts and have it blow up in their face. Just because we havent signed anyone yet does not mean we're not going to.

#27 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

This thread perfectly illustrates the shortcomings of inductive reasoning.

How so?

#28 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Put the bottle down, we still have our stud front 7 in tact, and on offense, we have one of the best young QB's in the league.  We're still in better shape than Dallas, or even the Saints really who have a ton of cap issues and only made it worse by signing Jairus Byrd.  So, let it play out.  I'm bummed about losing Smitty, and still think Greg Hardy wasn't truly worth the franchise, but this is what we have and I think we can be as good next year as this.

I'm as sober as they come buddy...  Maybe I should be picking a bottle up, lol. 

But seriously, the front seven is all fine and good.  The problem is that we got worse on the side of the ball that struggled last season. 

The game starts in the trenches and works its way out.  Offensively, we are in shambles on the line and we were already lacking playmakers.  Idk if you saw the quote from Smitty's agent about that as well, but he said Smitty volunteered to take a reduced role and play as a slot but we lacked the other playmakers to allow that to happen so he ended up carrying the load again in a methodical, slow-play, conservative offense.

That is an awful lot to replace in one season and hope that every guy you sign or draft can contribute at that same level of the guy he is replacing immediately.

#29 Cam2Ligit2Quit

Cam2Ligit2Quit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

You can bring up the Pats, but their core usually remains solid and their system is pretty easy to plug guys into. They are an aberration. They also collect draft picks like baseball cards.

We have lost 3 OL (2 starters so far) and Wharton considering it. We lost Mitchell. We are likely to let Ginn walk. And to put the icing on the cake, we are publicly humiliating and then releasing the guy who has been the face of the franchise for the last 13 years and is a guy who is a potential hall of famer. As far as Smitty goes, love him or hate him, but his tenacity defined us in our greatest runs and it sustained us to endure throughout our worst. Regardless of Gettleman's reasoning for the Smitty decision, tell me how this will equate to a carryover from last season?

Yes, you have to have some turnover to have sustained success in the NFL, but too much turnover and you end up like the Browns and Raiders. Not to mention, two of the biggest influences in the locker room over the last 12 years or so are now gone. All the other guys that are leaving that many huddlers are shrugging off made up the personality of this team last season as well.

And yes, we still have the draft and free agency to go through, but the point is, I don't recall many, if any, teams that suffered this much turnover AND got rid of their most popular player from the previous 10 seasons (I'm saying until Cam got here), and went on to sustain success - REGARDLESS of hiw we replace them. Bring in new vets and draft some rookies, the turnover is still evident and there is no sure-fire formula to ensure similar chemistry. That is a concern for eevery team going into every season, but much more so for teams who have gutted significant areas of their roster.

I'm not saying this is a imminent destiny for our team, but it's definitely something to think about going forward.

In 2010 we brought back 20 of 22 starters and we went 2-14. You can't improve by retaining player on the team in the nfl. Let Gman do his work, I can tell you we will be better long term, and closer to having back to back winning season.

#30 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'mgetting incredibly annoyed at people who insult others for questioning the merits of Gettleman's moves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com