#106 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,159 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

I guess Gett Dawgs main problem is he doesnt know when to fuging keep his mouth shut.

Seriously dude. Just shut your mouth and do your job. Youve done enough PR damage already...

Gettleman didn't say anything.

As Panthro pointed out numerous times, Smith's agent is the one doing the talking here.

#107 QCkilla

QCkilla

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Lots of players don't really get along....

89 is old with his 4th child on he way..... Cam is a 23 yr old. They aren't likely to be good buddies off the field.

It sounds to me like Steve Smith demanded Cam's respect and didn't feel like he was getting it and it lead to Steve trying to force the respect. Once again, this is speculation from a second hand source but certainly a possibility given what I know about both of their personalities.

#108 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

As Panthro pointed out numerous times, Smith's agent is the one doing the talking here.

The whole situation wouldn't be this way if Gettelmen made his thoughts know to Smith during his exit interview or at least before the combine.

I'm giving Gettelmen credit that this decision was made way before the combine I hope.

#109 Rise of The Hive

Rise of The Hive

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

G Man is just dealing with what was left for him.

#110 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

It sounds to me like Steve Smith demanded Cam's respect and didn't feel like he was getting it and it lead to Steve trying to force the respect. Once again, this is speculation from a second hand source but certainly a possibility given what I know about both of their personalities.

Per reports over his career, not many fully respect the manner in which 89 handles things in a lockerroom.

Maybe the entire point is....Gettlemen doesn't see the need for declining WR running his mouth like in 2012 and always making demands and having it about him

#111 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

I really don't know what thread to post this in considering there are at least 100 Smitty threads. But....

I just want everyone to realize Steve Smith is not the first great player to be let go in some shape or form like this. Unitas, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Seau, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Emmit Smith etc were all franchise players let go "when the time was right". I am sad to see Smitty go. He is my all-time favorite player. But not all careers will have a fairy tale ending like Gross'.

#112 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I really don't know what thread to post this in considering there are at least 100 Smitty threads. But....

I just want everyone to realize Steve Smith is not the first great player to be released like this. Unitas, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Seau, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Emmit Smith etc were all franchise players let go "when the time was right". I am sad to see Smitty go. He is my all-time favorite player. But not all careers will have a fairy tale ending like Gross'.

And most of them had better reps in the lockerroom...... and that issues is likely what is forcing DG to make the move in this case. Being good in a lockerroom or leader wasn't enough to keep better guys than 89

#113 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'm entering the acceptance stage now. I suppose it will be good for Cam to be able to demand certain things from his receivers that will help his game. I know Peyton M. , Brady and Rodgers do it. Those guys give their receivers hell if they fug up.

I guess Cam couldn't do that with Smity around.

At least thats one benefit I see.

#114 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Smith was a great receiver. Off the field, Smith is an admirable human being. What I don't get is why people would be surprised that he is viewed as an asshole when he's working at his profession. He's always been that way. We've loved his fire because he was our guy, and made play after play, so we glossed over all the other stuff.

The difference now is his production no longer dictates that the team should suffer his overly-domineering personality.

Why is that so hard to understand?

#115 Mighty Mite

Mighty Mite

H.O.F Cats Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationDouble Snow Land

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

fug Gman

You want Smitty go? Just let him go, why still BS about such thing? Smitty must be real disappointed about how the FO deal with him.

#116 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Translation: He didn't kiss my ass so he had to go

Funny but much truth in this. Gettleman doesn't like SS so we will pay him 5mil to play somewhere else. Oh yeah we save 1mil on cap space this year.

#117 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

I just want everyone to realize Steve Smith is not the first great player to be let go in some shape or form like this. Unitas, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Seau, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Emmit Smith etc were all franchise players let go "when the time was right". I am sad to see Smitty go. He is my all-time favorite player. But not all careers will have a fairy tale ending like Gross'.

his career is not over.

#118 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Funny but much truth in this. Gettleman doesn't like SS so we will pay him 5mil to play somewhere else. Oh yeah we save 1mil on cap space this year.

Yeah it makes less sense the more I think about it.

Keeping him would cost $7m in cap space.
But since we cut him, we still have to pay his $3m guaranteed base. Plus his remaining bonus immediately hits the cap.

I know we'll probably designate him as June 1 cut, but that does nothing until June. In fact, we lose $2m until then, so we made it even harder to sign anyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#119 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,259 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Smith's agent basically poo on any chance Gettleman had of working a trade somehow

#120 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

it seems this is closer to the truth it was personal not business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com