Photo
- - - - -

So, lets see what Smith has to say (via David Newton)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#46 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

And your point is?.....

It doesn't matter if he was the #1, #2 or #3 or "in name only" because the Panthers have none of the above at this point.

Which is how big of a loss.  I think your making mountains out of moles hills.  I dont care that our wide receiving core is gone, our receiving core sucked, and now we can have some focus developing one  If August gets here and it really is much worse off than yeah what a screw up because it would be hard to be worse.  

#47 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

You obviously haven't been paying attention because he didn't say anything with the Ravens he didn't say here. He's said for years he wants them to bring in a new #1. He didn't drive any wedge anywhere. He certainly didn't do anything to just get more money from another team on top of his guaranteed money from us. All those statements were completely and utterly ridiculous.

This year is different.  There was a lot of money to be made by being released.  Do the numbers man....look at how much more he's making when you factor in  the 5 mill we still owe him, a 4 million dollar a year contract by the Ravens, and a two and a half million signing bonus, and the potential dead money the Ravens would owe him if they part ways prior to 3 years.  Smith's base salary was 4 million here.   That's triple and a half.  If you don't think a tripled increase in salary would motivate a professional football player.....I would just say it's naive.

I know it goes against Smitty legend, but the Panther's built that image too.

#48 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Steve has publically said before he would be happy to play slot for us.

Hard to play number 2 behind a WR we never drafted or picked up

I'll make a brief mention of what I replied to Jawnyblaze.

Steve stood to gain a tripled increase in salary by getting released from Carolina.  5 mil we owe him still. 2.5 million signing bonus, 4 million dollar a year salary (what he was making here), and potential dead money owed by the Ravens if they release Smith before the conclusion of his contract in 3 years.  

That would motivate a lot of people.  I know a lot of you believe that Smitty is pure of heart.  But it's a business, and that was his last chance to get a big payday before he's done.

I'm not intimately aware of what Smith's true intentions are....I'm just going off the evidence.  It's all conjecture.....but it's a lot easier to connect the dots when you look at the money situation.

#49 Oldmanrivera

Oldmanrivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

I'll make a brief mention of what I replied to Jawnyblaze.

Steve stood to gain a tripled increase in salary by getting released from Carolina.  5 mil we owe him still. 2.5 million signing bonus, 4 million dollar a year salary (what he was making here), and potential dead money owed by the Ravens if they release Smith before the conclusion of his contract in 3 years.  

That would motivate a lot of people.  I know a lot of you believe that Smitty is pure of heart.  But it's a business, and that was his last chance to get a big payday before he's done.

I'm not intimately aware of what Smith's true intentions are....I'm just going off the evidence.  It's all conjecture.....but it's a lot easier to connect the dots when you look at the money situation.

...not intimately aware...just going of the evidence...(all of which is subjected by your opinion)... it is all conjecture... 

So you have just openly said that you have no reason to believe any of the tripe you have spouted, but will choose to do so because you under stand the 'money situation'.

Don't ever represent anyone in the court of law please.

#50 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

...not intimately aware...just going of the evidence...(all of which is subjected by your opinion)... it is all conjecture... 

So you have just openly said that you have no reason to believe any of the tripe you have spouted, but will choose to do so because you under stand the 'money situation'.

Don't ever represent anyone in the court of law please.

So you would rather on focus on demeaning me then have to admit that Smith will indeed make A LOT more money with the Ravens next year?

#51 Oldmanrivera

Oldmanrivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

So you would rather on focus on demeaning me then have to admit that Smith will indeed make A LOT more money with the Ravens next year?

The point of the argument you are trying to have is not 'Smith will make more with the ravens', 

You are trying to argue that Steve Smith is a scoundrel and an asshole, but you admittedly have nothing to base that on other than your "in depth look" at money.

#52 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Tanking the 2010 season and then the big contracts that followed

Thats about 12 mistakes.

The single biggest mistake was signing Sean Gilbert and giving up 2 first round picks to do it. It's not even close. I'm not hating, just telling the truth.

#53 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Steve and his agent saw one last opportunity for a big payday. This is all this comes down too.  Just look at the difference in what he's going to make when you factor in the money we still have to pay him and his signing bonus.

Anyone who thinks this has to do with anything other then money is naive.

then call me naive because that is bullcrap. SS played the game paid his dues and got his deal. The Panthers needed help from him to reduce the cap and he obliged.They didn't even offer this time so moving on was the thing to do.

#54 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

The point of the argument you are trying to have is not 'Smith will make more with the ravens', 

You are trying to argue that Steve Smith is a scoundrel and an asshole, but you admittedly have nothing to base that on other than your "in depth look" at money.

I never called him a scoundrel.  I don't think he's spending all night at strip clubs, buying weapons, or anything like that,. I don't think he beats his wife, and I think he loves his kids.  But he also appears to take what he wants.  He is a documented asshole based on accounts and from what I've experienced. 

All I know is if a competing company wanted me to come work for them and found a way to triple my salary it would be hard not to listen.

#55 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

He's also had no history of being a hardass when it comes to money. Money isn't everyone's primary motivation and Smitty has never given any indication that it is for him. Yea, he's had solid contracts but I fully believe that the reason he asked for more than a mediocre contract is the hit to his ego of getting less money than guys he considers himself superior to. This is just as much conjecture as anything else, but I bet if WR weren't one of the higher paid positions, if the top WRs we're making $3-4 mil per year, he'd have been happy playing for that and played as hard as he did making $7mil per.

#56 Oldmanrivera

Oldmanrivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

I never called him a scoundrel.  I don't think he's spending all night at strip clubs, buying weapons, or anything like that,. I don't think he beats his wife, and I think he loves his kids.  But he also appears to take what he wants.  He is a documented asshole based on accounts and from what I've experienced. 

All I know is if a competing company wanted me to come work for them and found a way to triple my salary it would be hard not to listen.

ok, cool, thanks for finalizing my initial thoughts.

Everything you said is based on your interpretation on everything that has happened.

So how the fug is everyone else naive for not believing your baseless opinions?

#57 TheNewStandard

TheNewStandard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Looking at his salaries and signing bonuses over the years, it appears that Smiity made 89 million dollars as a Panther. That's 8.5 million per season. Hardly underpaid at any point in his career and he never had to sacrifice anything for his teammates. So please quit painting Smitty as this starving and tortured artist.

Sounds like it's about his cash, his numbers and his ego...fitting.

#58 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,355 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

Smitty was cut by Gettleman, not the other way around.  Don't hate. Steve is gonna take that money and run...all the way to the end zone.  He's going to do for the Ravens everything that he could have done for us had the pieces been put in place. It's not his fault that the Ravens made him an offer that basically says that "We appreciate what you bring to the table, and we believe you've still got game."  

#59 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

It's one thing to cut a 35 year old receiver.  It's another thing entirely to start the conversation in public, decide not to offer a restructured contract (which presumably would have taken care of 2015 and 2016), and cut him like a third string kicker.  This is especially true when it's obvious that, to paraphras, "The answer is NOT on the roster."

There are so many ways the organization could have handled it better that it's hard not to think there was a message being sent somewhere.  Although, it could just be that the current front office is kind of tone-deaf about how to treat star players. 

Last year Gettleman basically told Jordan Gross that he had to restructure, and cut his pay in half (less than that actually).  Gross decided to retire rather than come back and play another year, and from his play last year he has another year or two left in him.  GMan took forever to answer a simple question, "Is Cam Newton the kind of player you build around?"  And when he did, he was quick to throw in a caveat about it being time to win.  He did the same cap stuff that other GMs around the league do every year, and we cheered him for it because all we've heard about is how horrible our contract situation is.  He had what looks like a great draft.  He did a good job bringing in talent and depth, and let's hope that becomes a trademark skill of his because he seems to have let most of it go already, but that's another topic.

So basically, he's doing a good job with the money, the draft, and patching holes.  But now we've got one of the biggest holes on the team we've ever seen, and our GM hasn't really shown a ton of people skills with players we have come to love over the years.

No wonder people are upset.

#60 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

It's one thing to cut a 35 year old receiver. It's another thing entirely to start the conversation in public, decide not to offer a restructured contract (which presumably would have taken care of 2015 and 2016), and cut him like a third string kicker. This is especially true when it's obvious that, to paraphras, "The answer is NOT on the roster."

There are so many ways the organization could have handled it better that it's hard not to think there was a message being sent somewhere. Although, it could just be that the current front office is kind of tone-deaf about how to treat star players.

Last year Gettleman basically told Jordan Gross that he had to restructure, and cut his pay in half (less than that actually). Gross decided to retire rather than come back and play another year, and from his play last year he has another year or two left in him. GMan took forever to answer a simple question, "Is Cam Newton the kind of player you build around?" And when he did, he was quick to throw in a caveat about it being time to win. He did the same cap stuff that other GMs around the league do every year, and we cheered him for it because all we've heard about is how horrible our contract situation is. He had what looks like a great draft. He did a good job bringing in talent and depth, and let's hope that becomes a trademark skill of his because he seems to have let most of it go already, but that's another topic.

So basically, he's doing a good job with the money, the draft, and patching holes. But now we've got one of the biggest holes on the team we've ever seen, and our GM hasn't really shown a ton of people skills with players we have come to love over the years.

No wonder people are upset.

You hit the nail on the head my friend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com