96 replies to this topic

#61 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Few thoughts I'd like to add.

1. The Smith release was dumb and if you think it wasn't you don't understand the cap.
2. Hardy needs be signed to a reasonable long term deal or it was a mistake to franchise him(long time for this one to play out so no need to rush to judgement)
3. I must have missed it but I haven't seen posters complaining about Mitchell or Captain not being re-signed for the deals they got elsewhere so why do people keep saying that?
4.On the face of it signing Harper to the deal he got is dumb, he's tying up valuable cap space and got guaranteed money that limits are flexibility if we decide we don't need him come final cuts.
5.If you're overly stressed right now then find other ways to kill time than refreshing the huddle every five minutes.

#62 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

disagree.. right now it is a bad move.. very bad.. the press has been all over it bating Smith into trashing us (which he hasn't and taken the high road, thank god) but it also has shown other FAs that Carolina will "do you dirty".. "if that's what they do to the franchise's savior, what will they do to me!?!"

this move could look better over time, but as of right now- it get a big black fuggin X over it with blood dripping down the sides

Carolina will do you dirty? The Patriots are the most notorious team in the league for "doing players dirty" as you say yet every FA wants to play there. The Colts basically fired one of the best players in NFL history in Peyton Manning, has it hurt them in getting FA? The 49ers were trying to trade their coach that has turned the frachise into a perennial SB contender, has it hurt them? The Saints unloaded their most explosive weapon in Darren Sproles against his wishes, etc.....it happens every year on every team.

Carolina is finally doing what every other team in the league has always done. There is not a player in the league that is going to think twice about coming here because they are worried about being done dirty. They want to win and they want to get paid, that is all.

#63 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Few thoughts I'd like to add.

1. The Smith release was dumb and if you think it wasn't you don't understand the cap.
2. Hardy needs be signed to a reasonable long term deal or it was a mistake to franchise him(long time for this one to play out so no need to rush to judgement)
3. I must have missed it but I haven't seen posters complaining about Mitchell or Captain not being re-signed for the deals they got elsewhere so why do people keep saying that?
4.On the face of it signing Harper to the deal he got is dumb, he's tying up valuable cap space and got guaranteed money that limits are flexibility if we decide we don't need him come final cuts.
5.If you're overly stressed right now then find other ways to kill time than refreshing the huddle every five minutes.

The Smitty release was NOT about money.....how many times does that have to be said.

#64 TheNewStandard

TheNewStandard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

This. We likely have a 13M, one year rental. Money better spent elsewhere.

We would have to spend all that money to sure-up the secondary because losing all those pressures (Hardy was 6th in the NFL in total pressures,) puts the pressure back on our secondary. Suddenly, we go from being able to have a mediocre secondary to needing upper tier defensive backs to cover receivers.

I'd much rather have the one player demoralizing an opposing QB than hit or miss DBs that May or may not be able to adequately cover opposing receivers in a league built around the pass. We play zone anyway and have already seen that we don't need all-pro DBs for our defense to be elite.

Besides, how many players do you think we could actually get for that 13 million who are so much better than what we already have? An upper-tier CB is going to cost half of that and so is a receiver and lineman. So, let's say you can get 3 players for that. One at CB, one lineman and a WR...That ain't gonna do much for our overall play and isn't going to come near to the production and value we have in Hardy.

It's doubtful that we can get more than 2 upper-tier players for that 13 million and even more doubtful that they will be on the rising end of their careers, because Hardy is just now coming into his prime.

#65 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

The Smitty release was NOT about money.....how many times does that have to be said.

*sigh*...it gets exhausting doesn't it?

#66 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

The Smitty release was NOT about money.....how many times does that have to be said.

I'm well aware that it wasn't about money.....however everyone I see defending it brings up it being done to save money.

We agree on that. So what do you think It was about? Was he really that much of a cancer in the locker room? I just don't have a clue as to why it was done when Gettleman himself said he had no plans of dipping from last years success.

#67 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm well aware that it wasn't about money.....however everyone I see defending it brings up it being done to save money.

Actually they aren't....as there is no real savings this year.

However, keeping him this year would have triggered several additional bonuses....which would make his dead money hit next year even worse.

#68 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Nicks wasn't coming here after Smith was cut. Idk why ppl keep saying he LET him walk...

Everyone has a price. If he wasnt intrested he wouldn't have come to vist or say he could see hisself catching passes from cam Newton. Not to mention his father saying the deal to carolina was nearly done. Lot of smoke to say he just wasn't coming.

#69 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Actually they aren't....as there is no real savings this year.

However, keeping him this year would have triggered several additional bonuses....which would make his dead money hit next year even worse.

Precisely you don't get it....not breaking it down again but search and you shall see the cap savings are extremely minimal between cutting him this year and next year.

It wasn't a cap related move to this year or future years. Not going to go back and forth and argue you with you...show me a breakdown of how its a huge difference because its not...btw it only triggered 1 bonus if he was on the team June 30th not several as you claim

#70 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Precisely you don't get it....not breaking it down again but search and you shall see the cap savings are extremely minimal between cutting him this year and next year.

It wasn't a cap related move to this year or future years. Not going to go back and forth and argue you with you...show me a breakdown of how its a huge difference because its not...btw it only triggered 1 bonus if he was on the team June 30th not several as you claim

I assure you that I fully get it.

Go over react somewhere else.

#71 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,056 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

And that perhaps is what makes it most perplexing.

Heath Evans called it the "single dumbest move this offseason".

#72 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Carolina will do you dirty? The Patriots are the most notorious team in the league for "doing players dirty" as you say yet every FA wants to play there. The Colts basically fired one of the best players in NFL history in Peyton Manning, has it hurt them in getting FA? The 49ers were trying to trade their coach that has turned the frachise into a perennial SB contender, has it hurt them? The Saints unloaded their most explosive weapon in Darren Sproles against his wishes, etc.....it happens every year on every team.

Carolina is finally doing what every other team in the league has always done. There is not a player in the league that is going to think twice about coming here because they are worried about being done dirty. They want to win and they want to get paid, that is all.

how in the blue hell can you paint the Smitty release as anything but "negative".. there is no way you can realisticly put a "neutral (wait and see) or positive" spin on this thing.. it didnt save us money, it made our WR depth 10x worse than it already is. our vet leadership sailed with Smitty and Gross and half our team. it looks bad to other FAs.

your arguement of "other good teams release players too" is bogus.

1st, the Pats have been in the playoffs every year for the past 2 decades it seems- thats why players want to go there. how does releasing good players make you better? Pats can release a good player because they have other good players waiting in the wings that will take less money. We have nothing but draft picks at this point and LET'S COUNT THEM- 3 wide open reciever positions

The Colts moved on from Peyton because his neck injury and they had Andrew Luck staring them in the face. it makes sense.

Sproles in a RB that can be replaced with an UDFA in todays game. if we were smart, we would have done Dwill and/or Stewart what NO did to Sproles. not to Smitty.

#73 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I assure you that I fully get it.

Go over react somewhere else.

Since you fully get it...how much total savings did we incur by releasing him now vs next offseason?

#74 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,638 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

And that perhaps is what makes it most perplexing.

Heath Evans called it the "single dumbest move this offseason".

and you believe heath evans?

i'm not saying it could be correct but the guy is a dimwit.

#75 Thal

Thal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Gettleman is just accepting this coming season to be a wash. That's all it is. If he wanted to build on from last year he wouldn't let Nicks go. Any team can figure out how to find just 3.5mil to pay for a potential superstar! He just want a complete rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com