Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do the panthers give cotchery # 89?

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Not gonna happen.

Posted

or retire 89?

Agreed.

Absolutely no one else wears that. At least not for a few years.

Posted

Absolutely Not!!!

Even though the number is inactive, this would be another huge shitstrom and slap in the face of Smitty.  Everyone is already questioning "how" the release happened....no need to throw salt into that fresh wound.

Take the high road and leave #89 jersey on the shelf.

Posted

Jersey hasn't been retired yet. Until they do sure

Sam Mills number was never retired. Jackie Miles just refuses to give it out.

Posted

That would be bad business

Posted

Nah... Hopefully he'll get 82 (his old number) 

The only way I would be alright with 89 not being retired is if we use it like Dallas uses 88 and give it to elite receivers only.

Posted

Its just a damn number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

By rule other players can wear it. By precedent they didn't stop Jeff King from wearing Moose's jersey or Legadu from wearing Delhomme's.

The Panthers have had a lot of great players and it is disappointing to see their jersey # on someone else. I think the Panthers should respect the accomplishments we've had even if we're not a top tier team. Guys like Fox, Delhomme, Moose, Smith took us to places we'd never been and haven't been since and may never be again (hopefully not that).

Those guys are sacred Panthers until someone comes along and tops their success. It's been over a decade and really no team has come close to matching their success.

If Cam takes us to a SB or wins one then we can't start to reevaluate and change the order of things. Till then I don't really take criticism of our best players and best coaches seriously.

Posted

No. We were wise enough to get Gano to not wear No. 4, let's leave #89 off-limits.

Posted

I don't see it happening. Team PR ran with the Agent 89 thing, I think I #thankyou89 was spread by the official twitter page. Even if they didn't care it would be a terrible idea for Cotchery.

Posted

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn  2m
Hearing Jerricho Cotchery will not wear No. 89, the number he wore in Pittsburgh and Steve Smith wore for #Panthers.
1 person likes this