#1 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

So, it is about time to get a new computer.  I am a low tech kind of person (but I do love my smart phone).  Probably looking for a laptop.  Use=surfing the net, occasional steaming of movies, watch videos.  Don't have to work from home. (May check company websites for training videos) Will occassionaly update my resume. Want to be able to have 3 or 4 tabs open without it freezing up. So, am not looking to spend a ton of money.  Has anyone bought a refurbished computer?  How did that go?  Looking for decent function and decent price.

Your advice will be appreciated.

#2 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Unless your price range is really low, you shouldn't have to buy refurbished for a new laptop. They are reasonably priced right now.

#3 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'd say for movie streaming you'll probably look at a minimum of 4gb ram and maybe an Intel i3 processor. You shouldn't have any problems with what you're trying to do.

#4 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Unless your price range is really low, you shouldn't have to buy refurbished for a new laptop. They are reasonably priced right now.

Good to hear.  Any recommendations on brands to buy or to avoid?

#5 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'd say for movie streaming you'll probably look at a minimum of 4gb ram and maybe an Intel i3 processor. You shouldn't have any problems with what you're trying to do.

Thanks.  That kind of info is very helpful.

#6 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I have 2 Lenovo ThinkPads, one is mine, the other is my work. Mine is the E525 and my work is a E545. 

I like them both although my employer loaded my work laptop up with a lot of software. I've flat out dropped mine twice and it runs like new even after a superglue job on one corner.  

#7 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

You can get a Compaq or HP at Walmart for less than 300 bucks. Buy the "No Matter What" warranty for 40-50 bucks more.

#8 Jeff L

Jeff L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

How much are you looking to spend LP? I buy a lot of my computer stuff from newegg.com and recently bought a Lenovo laptop from there that I absolutely love!

#9 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Toshiba laptops are pretty good for the money. I hve one that has lasted for 4 years. The wife and kids use it now for facbook and kids games., but it is still going strong. 

#10 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

How much are you looking to spend LP? I buy a lot of my computer stuff from newegg.com and recently bought a Lenovo laptop from there that I absolutely love!

Hoping not to spend a lot...but that is relative.  Not sure what I have to spend to get a decent one.  Have not been to newegg.  Will check that out. Thanks!

#11 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I suggest one with a fragmented hard drive. It will work perfectly for sentence fragments.

Seriously though. I'd get something with a tablet like function such as the surface with a snap in keyboard. I don't even use my laptop anymore since I got a cheap tablet. All it's for is the checkbook now. The tablet is just so much easier to use and not weight and heat source sitting atop my thighs.

#12 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

This one is good.  Really ahead of the curve:

4e460c450530041c44dd7ef664fe5e73_600x524

#13 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Chromebook

https://play.google...._whiteblue_wifi

#14 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

If you need to print things for work, taxes, or whatever. Then a tiny little thing might not have a USB port for your printer.

I'm not an expert but I think it goes something like this:

High End (pricey):

Sony - Japan

Samsung - Korean

Good Quality (affordable but not cheap):

Asus- Taiwan

Lenovo- China (American HQ in Morrisville, NC)

Mediocre (medium price point but not great value):

Dell- USA

HP- USA

Low End (cheap):

Toshiba- Japan

Acer-Taiwan

That is how I view the Laptop market. Someone else might take a different view as different qualities appeal to different people. I think you would be ok buying any of the brands listed above. Personally, I would not recommend the Dell or HP because I feel like you aren't getting the best value. Even low end computers should be able to handle the tasks of a casual computer user. My parents bought my aunt a 300 dollar toshiba and its perfect for web surfing and emails.

If you are internet savvy websites like Amazon and Newegg will offer the best prices. But their selection is huge and it's easy to get confused. Stores like Best Buy have a high overhead and will pass off inferior products at the same price point as a good Amazon product.

One other thing to look out for is "bloatware". Some of these laptops are pre loaded with all kinds of software you do not need. They might give you a free month or year then start "reminding" you to renew your sub.

#15 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

12 years of IT experience

There is no such thing as a "low end" laptop. Technology has  reached the point where any brand should be considered at least mid range. However, laptops can be specific to your needs. My advice is to set a hard price point. Then look at laptops within 50 dollars of it. If you set a minimum of about 300 dollars you are guaranteed to get a laptop that is more than capable of everyday browsing or light business use. You should have no problems with the hardware, i.e. laptop itself. The problem can be matching the OS to your laptops capabilities. For example, Apple computers, and Chrome books use a relatively small amount of resources. They can operate fairly well on a 1.6 and above processor and 4gb of ram (in some cases even less than that). However, Windows computers use a LOT of resources. This is what bogs down the processor, and hogs all the ram. This is what you, the user, sees as crashes and computer acting slow. Thus making a decent Windows 8 computer requiring atleast a 2.0 dual core with 6gb of ram.

All computers nowadays come with plenty of unnecessary programs, this also slows down the computer or causes it to crash. Moving your laptop around too much or too violently (like what happens when laptops are placed in laps, lol) causes errors to build up in the harddrive. Enough of these errors will also lead to crashes and eventually your laptop wont work anymore. Remember to always update your software when necessary, get a good antivirus Norton and Mccafee are good. (never any of those antiviruses that send popups to your computer, NONE of those are any good. No matter what they say.) Keep your laptop on a hard non-porous surface when in use.

My recommendation for you would probably be a chromebook depending on your price range. 400 is a reasonable range for most non specific consumers. If you are looking north of 800 bucks you can pretty much pick anyone and it will do way more than you will ever need. And good gaming/graphic design etc starts north of 1600.

note: personally I stay away from HP computers. The design of their laptop places the fan in a position where the intake opening is on the bottom. This causes the computer to heat up often unless placed on the perfect surface.  My personal favorite brand for a combo of value and price is Toshiba. However, My price range is always 800 to 1000, no more no less and I am very specific in the components that go in to it.  I hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.