Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Computer buying advice requested

39 posts in this topic

Posted

So, it is about time to get a new computer.  I am a low tech kind of person (but I do love my smart phone).  Probably looking for a laptop.  Use=surfing the net, occasional steaming of movies, watch videos.  Don't have to work from home. (May check company websites for training videos) Will occassionaly update my resume. Want to be able to have 3 or 4 tabs open without it freezing up. So, am not looking to spend a ton of money.  Has anyone bought a refurbished computer?  How did that go?  Looking for decent function and decent price.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Posted

Unless your price range is really low, you shouldn't have to buy refurbished for a new laptop. They are reasonably priced right now.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd say for movie streaming you'll probably look at a minimum of 4gb ram and maybe an Intel i3 processor. You shouldn't have any problems with what you're trying to do.

1 person likes this

Posted

Unless your price range is really low, you shouldn't have to buy refurbished for a new laptop. They are reasonably priced right now.

Good to hear.  Any recommendations on brands to buy or to avoid?

Posted

I'd say for movie streaming you'll probably look at a minimum of 4gb ram and maybe an Intel i3 processor. You shouldn't have any problems with what you're trying to do.

Thanks.  That kind of info is very helpful.

Posted

I have 2 Lenovo ThinkPads, one is mine, the other is my work. Mine is the E525 and my work is a E545. 

I like them both although my employer loaded my work laptop up with a lot of software. I've flat out dropped mine twice and it runs like new even after a superglue job on one corner.  

2 people like this

Posted

You can get a Compaq or HP at Walmart for less than 300 bucks. Buy the "No Matter What" warranty for 40-50 bucks more.

1 person likes this

Posted

How much are you looking to spend LP? I buy a lot of my computer stuff from newegg.com and recently bought a Lenovo laptop from there that I absolutely love!

2 people like this

Posted

Toshiba laptops are pretty good for the money. I hve one that has lasted for 4 years. The wife and kids use it now for facbook and kids games., but it is still going strong. 

1 person likes this

Posted

How much are you looking to spend LP? I buy a lot of my computer stuff from newegg.com and recently bought a Lenovo laptop from there that I absolutely love!

Hoping not to spend a lot...but that is relative.  Not sure what I have to spend to get a decent one.  Have not been to newegg.  Will check that out. Thanks!

Posted

I suggest one with a fragmented hard drive. It will work perfectly for sentence fragments.

Seriously though. I'd get something with a tablet like function such as the surface with a snap in keyboard. I don't even use my laptop anymore since I got a cheap tablet. All it's for is the checkbook now. The tablet is just so much easier to use and not weight and heat source sitting atop my thighs.

Posted

This one is good.  Really ahead of the curve:

4e460c450530041c44dd7ef664fe5e73_600x524