12 replies to this topic

#1 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Just heard the new NBA commissioner say it was very risky taking guys into the NBA with just one year between them and high school and that 2 years seemed to strike a better balance to him.

Love to see this instead of the one and done stuff we have now.

What say you?

#2 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

I think a player should have the freedom to enter the pros whenever he wants to. It's not really about what fans want.

#3 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

I'd like a baseball-type rule. You can go out of high school if you wish, but should you choose college it's 3 years. Seeing as 3 years is probably pushing it a bit, 2 years probably is a fair compromise and what we're heading towards. Something will end up being done (and sooner rather than later), and it probably will be a 2 year rule. It's not a totally fair rule to the Lebron and Durant's  of the world, but it's probably the best solution for now to shut everyone up.

I read an interesting thought I read the other day that could drastically shake things up and fix some issues, should colleges ever go for it. I think it was an Andrew Sharp article on Grantland, but anyway, with the most recent lawsuit (regarding paying players), an idea about allowing colleges to bid on high school players was talked about. Recruiting would turn into an even bigger poo show...but would be fun and the players would legally profit for once. 

#4 ncfan

ncfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationKey West, FL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Agree and disagree 

NFL has a 3 year policy and you hardly hear a peep.  98% of every prospect coming into the NFL come in Physically and mentally ready.  

Its about helping the league, they want kids to come in are physically and mentally ready.  Yes the Wiggins etc have all sorts of "upside"  but no way are they going to contribute for 2-3 years at the least.

Think 2 years can really help the league evaluate the players.  Shabazz Muhammed was "the next big thing" coming outta HS. Everyone talked how if there were no age limit he'd be the #1 pick.  Same with Harrison Barnes etc etc etc.  

Its not like your holding them back from getting paid either, they have a chance to earn a pay check (the D-League).  They can make just as much out of HS in the D-League as the Majority of the players who cant cut it in the lottery or have to play overseas.  

The excuses why they shouldnt go to 2 years out is nothing more than an excuse.  Even all the former players are for it as well, Magic, Barkley, etc.

I think a player should have the freedom to enter the pros whenever he wants to. It's not really about what fans want.

#5 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

It's dumb and a joke to go to college for one year take a bunch of bull poo classes the first semester and probably not even show up to classes your second. The NBA shouldn't restrict. If you don't want to draft a kid straight out of high school DON'T. no one is forcing you.

#6 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

I prefer the 'three and free' rule...  If you want to go out of HS, then go, but if you declare for college it's a 3-year commitment...  I personally don't care for the high schoolers in the NBA, as the VAST majority of them struggle, however, I do know that having the option is something that shouldn't be taken away completely... 

#7 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Why not let the individual college decide what their policy is on that?

#8 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

http://deadspin.com/...t-go-1546498463

#9 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

If the NBA wants players to stay in school longer to get better (particularly those players who arent ready to play in an NBA rotation), they should incentivise them instead of banning everyone and keeping stars out of the league.

Give older rookies more money on their rookie contract or let them reach restricted free agency (where the real money is) after 3 years in the league instead of 4 years. 

#10 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Why not let the individual college decide what their policy is on that?

How do they enforce it? If a player enrolls, you can't MAKE him stay if an NBA team is offering him millions. The rule really has to come from the NBA, not the colleges.

#11 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Obviously the best scenario would be the hockey model, where you can draft players out of high school and they are still be eligible to play in college (and teams keep the player's rights until after the player graduates).  Then the team who drafts the player has some discretion to offer the player a big contract to go pro or less money if the player would be better off going to school.

#12 Omega Atrocity

Omega Atrocity

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

It really is an odd dilemma, but something should be done. I don't know that its fair to say you have to stay in school, no other students on a college camous have a similar rule. I'm in favor for it just going back to the way it was before the mandatory year out of high school.

#13 Rise of The Hive

Rise of The Hive

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

I think if the should have the option to go out of HS but if they do sign on the dotted line with a college that once they are on campus that they have to stay for a mininum of two seasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com