Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draft Discussion

65 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Much has been said about the WR/OT need in the upcoming draft. even if Carolina double or triple dips at WR and OT, that will still leave us with 1-3 picks we can use for other needs. here's my question, where do you, the Huddle, expect those picks to go? CB, G, TE, and S are all options ive heard tossed around. Even a backup QB for Cam has been mentioned.

my thinking is that the pick will go to a CB or G. we have three starters at SS/FS (Godfrey, Harper, and Lester), two of which are vets who have played SS and FS (Godfrey and Harper) in their career. the only way i see Carolina using an extra pick on a S is if we plan to cut Godfrey as a cap-casualty. as for taking a TE, i think one of the 2-3 WR picks could end up being a TE instead, especially if by some miracle Eric Ebron falls to us in the 1st. 

that leaves CB and G in my opinion. i dont know which is more likely. we have a respectable stable of young CB's led by vet Antoine Cason. the younger guys could take a huge step of improvement this year. but i could also see Carolina taking a rook CB to groom/provide roster competition. G isnt an immediate need. we have guys, provided they can stay healthy, that can start and succeed. but looking at the roster, i dont see alot of depth. perhaps we could take a G just to provide depth. 

what say you, O Huddle? for what should the Panthers use the picks they dont use on WR/OT?

Posted · Report post

I could see an OLB and a DE selected as well at some point.

I think it goes something like this:
1st- WR
2nd- OT
3rd- OT
4th- WR
5th-CB
6th-S/DE/TE
7th- G/S/DE/TE/OLB
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

CBs!!!! After seattle's dominance on D last year I fully expect that to be the going trend.....big, lengthy, physical corners

Posted · Report post

WR/TE
OT
WR/TE
OLB/DE/CB/S

If we plan on cutting DLo and/or Stew next season I could see another RB

I didn't want Marqise Lee originally, but I'm warning up to him.

Posted · Report post

CBs!!!! After seattle's dominance on D last year I fully expect that to be the going trend.....big, lengthy, physical corners

if you look at the CBs picked up by gettleman, they already fit that mold.  here is a look at our current CBs:

20 Cason, Antoine CB 6-1 195

31 Dockery, James CB 6-1 185 

26 Menzie, De'Quan  CB 5-11 200

32 Presley, De'Andre CB 5-10 190

24 Norman, Josh CB 6-0 200 

22 Thomas, Josh CB 5-11 190

23 White, Melvin CB 6-1 205

(sorry if the format is off.  copy and pasted from panthers.com)

4 of these guys are 6-0 or better.  I know gettlemen didn't pick all of these guys, but you can only believe that's the direction he is going.

Posted · Report post

I really believe he sticks to BPA program! Even if it's a Running Back
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Seriously? BPA. Period.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Somewhere, after the 4th round, I would be surprised if we did not pick a C.  Beyers is gone and we really have no one else that has ever played C on the team.   One of the 5th, 6th, or 7th picks will be a C/G type player. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Would not surprise me to see us draft David Yankey.
He would make the team better!

1st-Yankey/Cooks/Pryor
2nd-Mathews/Moncrief/Adams/McGill
3rd-Billy Turner/Bitonio/Archer
4th-Pierre Desir/Ross Cockrell/Seantrel Henderson
5th-Brandon Coleman/Larry Webster/Fleming/DT from Princeton
6th-Colt Lylera
7th-BPA

This is kinda how I see the draft going

Posted · Report post

Either way we go, having all 7 picks, I truly believe Getts can get a legit, starting WR and 2 other Starters.
Dream Draft would be 2 OL starters, 1 starting CB, and a legit WR
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I don't know that I want a Guard in the first, I like our guys and am not a fan of guards in the first round, though I do like him as a prospect. He's a plug and play guy.

Posted · Report post

1: RB
2: RB
3: RB
4: RB
5: RB
6: RB
7: RB
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

1. WR Brandin Cooks/Odell Beckham - OT Morgan Moses

2. OT Billy Turner - WR Donte Moncrief

3. OT James Hurst - WR Robert Herron

4. WR Jared Abbrederis - OT Seantrel Henderson 

5. CB Walt Aiken - DT Justin Ellis

6. FS Tre Boston

7. TE Colt Lylera

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I could see an OLB and a DE selected as well at some point.

I think it goes something like this:
1st- WR
2nd- OT
3rd- OT
4th- WR
5th-CB
6th-S/DE/TE
7th- G/S/DE/TE/OLB

how many starting caliber CB's will be there in the 5th? how many would be better than what we have? I would like to see CB very early.

Posted · Report post

If only there was a section of the forum where we could specifically discuss the nfl draft...
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

how many starting caliber CB's will be there in the 5th? how many would be better than what we have? I would like to see CB very early.

I don't see CB as much of a pressing need, whereas OT and WR are critical. I also don't know what CB's would be around at our top picks that would provide a real upgrade.

Posted · Report post

Damn, am I the only one having problems with the server?

Posted · Report post

I don't see CB as much of a pressing need, whereas OT and WR are critical. I also don't know what CB's would be around at our top picks that would provide a real upgrade.

we have neglected CB for several years now.Ok so we have some backups, there is the depth now we need a starter. The depth of WR in this draft and the lack of depth at CB makes it easier to go CB early and not miss out on WR. the other way around and the talent level does drop quickly after 2nd rd.of the three WR is less pressing early. if the talent level is that low at CB how does taking another backup late help? in that case the 3 wr scenario would be better by taking a flier on a Dri Archer type or the LB from NDS. i just don't see the logic in another 5-7th rd CB when we have plenty of them already.

Posted · Report post

we have neglected CB for several years now.Ok so we have some backups, there is the depth now we need a starter. The depth of WR in this draft and the lack of depth at CB makes it easier to go CB early and not miss out on WR. the other way around and the talent level does drop quickly after 2nd rd.of the three WR is less pressing early. if the talent level is that low at CB how does taking another backup late help? in that case the 3 wr scenario would be better by taking a flier on a Dri Archer type or the LB from NDS. i just don't see the logic in another 5-7th rd CB when we have plenty of them already.

You can grab mediocre CB's when you have a dominant front seven.

What we can't do is ignore a poor offense that require several pieces.

Who would we take in the first at CB? The good guys will likely be gone or a reach. The only one that may be there could be Varrett, but I don't want to draft a nickel back in the first round.

OT and WR are critical, CB is a luxury.

Posted · Report post

Real Question

Do we need a Draft forum?  I am not sure when to post where.

Posted · Report post

Real Question

Do we need a Draft forum? I am not sure when to post where.

This happens every offseason, shouldn't surprise you with as long as you've been here.

Posted · Report post

Getts is unpredictable .My guess it will be BPA  at DE, LT or WR. I just do not see a CB with our defensive scheme.

Posted · Report post

This happens every offseason, shouldn't surprise you with as long as you've been here.

That was the point.

Offseason for football is "in season" for the draft.  Not being critical, just can't figure out when we ARE supposed to post in the draft section.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The way I see it, WR and OL will likely dominate our first few picks.  Kyle Fuller could be an outside shot for our 1st pick if the receivers or lineman are gone by some random chance. 

Real Question

Do we need a Draft forum?  I am not sure when to post where.

During the off-season, everything pretty much moves here.

Posted · Report post

You can grab mediocre CB's when you have a dominant front seven.

What we can't do is ignore a poor offense that require several pieces.

Who would we take in the first at CB? The good guys will likely be gone or a reach. The only one that may be there could be Varrett, but I don't want to draft a nickel back in the first round.

OT and WR are critical, CB is a luxury.

we have mediocre already which is the point. When that front seven is ineffective the secondary is hung out to dry and we saw how that worked out last season.we have pieces we now need glue to hold them together. I don't see wr as critical in first rd or second if we can get a starting cb in one of those rounds.The depth of wr in the draft almost assures us the oportunity to get as many WR's as we want or need. Ot is deeper than CB also and good picks are there in first 3 rds that can help us.