Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SI's day 3 diamonds for Panthers

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Carolina Panthers — Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina

When the Panthers took Steve Smith in the third round of the 2001 draft out of Utah, Smith was a tough, quick receiver who was debited by many pro scouts because of his size. Ellington has those same characteristics — he measured 5-9 and 197 pounds at the scouting combine, but he managed 89 catches for 1,375 yards and 15 touchdowns in his last two years against SEC defenses. He was Connor Shaw’s main target in Shaw’s amazing 24-touchdown, one-pick season in 2013.

Like the young Smith, Ellington comes off the line with a quick release, can excel from the slot or outside and is unafraid of catching passes in traffic. With Smith gone and the team’s receiver corps in a total tizzy, getting Ellington as a near-hometown catch would seem to make a lot of sense. He’ll need to expand his knowledge of the route tree at the next level, which is another reason he could be a third-day bargain.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Would be happy with him or Kevin Norwood from Bama in the middle rounds.

Posted · Report post

I only see one diamond, who are the other two?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

given his height, he's got a little weight on him.  i think that's why smitty was able to be so effective.  smitty was strong as poo.  i mean, have you seen his legs?

edit.  new android auto correct blows

Posted · Report post

1000 times No

Posted · Report post

I would be happy with Bruce but maybe i'm just biased

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

sorry folks, there will never be another smitty. greatest pound for pound receiver of all time. find receivers that fit with Cam's style. the end.

I just had a this-gasm. Truth has just been spoken.

Posted · Report post

Hmm 89 catches you say...sign?!?!

Posted · Report post

Heck yeah. As a Gamecock season ticket holder, I have watched him mature into a helluva receiver. The one thing about Bruuuuce is he is clutch. He would always be the one catching the third down or fourth quarter passes when the team needed them most. Good speed and I imagine he would become an ever better receiver when he only concentrated on football. Late round project with hopes he can replace Cotchery in the slot in year 3.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

i swear we will constantly be told that we need to find another smitty-like receiver.

sorry folks, there will never be another smitty. greatest pound for pound receiver of all time. find receivers that fit with Cam's style. the end.

yep. smitty was not an archetype. he was an anomaly that happened to be borderline HOF-worthy.