22 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Carolina Panthers — Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina

When the Panthers took Steve Smith in the third round of the 2001 draft out of Utah, Smith was a tough, quick receiver who was debited by many pro scouts because of his size. Ellington has those same characteristics — he measured 5-9 and 197 pounds at the scouting combine, but he managed 89 catches for 1,375 yards and 15 touchdowns in his last two years against SEC defenses. He was Connor Shaw’s main target in Shaw’s amazing 24-touchdown, one-pick season in 2013.

Like the young Smith, Ellington comes off the line with a quick release, can excel from the slot or outside and is unafraid of catching passes in traffic. With Smith gone and the team’s receiver corps in a total tizzy, getting Ellington as a near-hometown catch would seem to make a lot of sense. He’ll need to expand his knowledge of the route tree at the next level, which is another reason he could be a third-day bargain.

#2 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Dejavu all over again.

http://www.carolinah...brue-ellington/

#3 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Would be happy with him or Kevin Norwood from Bama in the middle rounds.

#4 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,849 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I only see one diamond, who are the other two?

#5 Phil

Phil

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

given his height, he's got a little weight on him.  i think that's why smitty was able to be so effective.  smitty was strong as poo.  i mean, have you seen his legs?

edit.  new android auto correct blows

#6 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

1000 times No

#7 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I would be happy with Bruce but maybe i'm just biased

#8 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

i swear we will constantly be told that we need to find another smitty-like receiver.

sorry folks, there will never be another smitty. greatest pound for pound receiver of all time. find receivers that fit with Cam's style. the end.

#9 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

sorry folks, there will never be another smitty. greatest pound for pound receiver of all time. find receivers that fit with Cam's style. the end.

I just had a this-gasm. Truth has just been spoken.

#10 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Hmm 89 catches you say...sign?!?!

#11 GoDaddyGo

GoDaddyGo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Heck yeah. As a Gamecock season ticket holder, I have watched him mature into a helluva receiver. The one thing about Bruuuuce is he is clutch. He would always be the one catching the third down or fourth quarter passes when the team needed them most. Good speed and I imagine he would become an ever better receiver when he only concentrated on football. Late round project with hopes he can replace Cotchery in the slot in year 3.

#12 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,096 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

i swear we will constantly be told that we need to find another smitty-like receiver.

yep. smitty was not an archetype. he was an anomaly that happened to be borderline HOF-worthy.

#13 King Schit

King Schit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

How fast has he ran the 40? Not that that means he will be any good, but just curious.

#14 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Would be happy with him or Kevin Norwood from Bama in the middle rounds.

Norwood said

"[Carolina] told me they really like me and hope I won't get picked before they pick me,"

http://www.usatoday....n-tide/6814225/

How fast has he ran the 40? Not that that means he will be any good, but just curious.

http://www.nfl.com/c...gton?id=2543646

#15 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

We drafted Smith in 2001. How many WRs have been drafted since then who wound up being as good as Smith? Zero. How many WRs in the history of the NFL have been like Smith? Zero. But this is the draft where every little WR is going to be similar to Smith? Hell no. Draft big WRs with big hands so Cam can toss it up high to them in the endzone and they can win the jump ball. That's the main problem with our offense. Bogging down in the redzone against top rated defenses. We need size more than a little slot recriver, that's a luxury. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com