Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettleman believes reaching a long term deal with Hardy is more likely now

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Sounds like it was a interview

You have a link?

Posted · Report post

You have a link?

No link got the quote from rotoworld. Their source was Alex Marvez as well

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Does anyone have this "phantom" interview?

Posted · Report post

I can dig that, and I think the team will better off having him long term.

I'm guessing we might be lose'n CJ next season... so it'd be good to keep Hardy.

Addison isn't on the same level as CJ and Hardy but he's shown he can do work.

We might not drop to far on Dline if we lose CJ, if Addison gets his chance to shine.

Tie'n up Hardy long term, while keeping Star and Short should be sufficient I'd think.

Posted · Report post

I heard he wants to play kicker, special teams, and color commentator during broadcasts. Otherwise he won't sign

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

Eh. I guess I'll wait to see the contract before I bash it but, paying him and CJ so much could be a disaster. I'd prefer CJ over him anyways.

Posted · Report post

Common sense says Hardy signs a long term deal. It may be on July 14th but it will be signed

Posted · Report post

If Hardy is resigned CJ will most likely be gone after next year. He has a huge cap hit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

Gettleman has made it clear how much he values a pass rush. Plus, with Hardy and CJ's money you are, in essence, upgrading every position on defense because they make them (especially the DB's) much better. I expect a long term deal with Hardy and don't expect to see CJ cut any time in the near future.

Posted · Report post

What does not make sense is this:

Gettlemen is a slow player.  That is how he gets the best price.  He did it with Munnerlyn last year, Edwards, Mikel, etc  While I am sure Cam is on board with it and understands his position, he is doing it with Cam. 

Right now, Hardy's stock has never been higher.  Gettlemen knows that if Hardy has a 16-sack, 78 tackle season in 2014, his price is not going much higher.  However, if his numbers drop, he could get him for much less.

Now include Cam's contract and CJ's contract status.  If Hardy gets 10 sacks and 46 tackles, he cannot ask for elite money.  Hardy's price drops to that of players in that range, which is about $8-10 million.  CJ has less guaranteed money and could be cut, but he could take a cut or restructure, allowing us to keep both.  If we pay Hardy top dollar now and he bombs in 2013 with 7 sacks, for example, we are locked into possibly having to cut our best DE (CJ) to make the room we need to sign Cam. On the other hand, if Hardy has 17 sacks, we could re-sign him because he is a proven blind-side rusher, cut or trade CJ, and draft a stud LDE.  Signing Hardy long-term right now gives us security that he will be a Panther long term, but eliminates options.

I understand that $13 million is a lot, but hardy is asking for money in that range anyway.   16 more games will give us a better indication of what we have-if the 15-sack season was a fluke or not.

Some here will get upset over this opinion, but if you were the GM, you would make the safe plays and I do not see giving him a top-dollar, long-term contract after 1 elite season as the safe play.  

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

^^^ Well said.