Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The double dip

81 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

No to Cyrus in 1. Martin and Turner...hell yeah...Lewan and Turner....hell yeah....Plug Gabe Jackson as guard or Hurst in round 2 as well if you want.

Posted · Report post

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage, I'll never complain about strengthening the most vital group on the field.

This. 

Our line was not that good last year. We lost our LT, which is one of the most important positions in football. On top of that our RT is complete trash. 

Trenches > Wideouts & Secondary

Posted · Report post

This.

Our line was not that good last year. We lost our LT, which is one of the most important positions in football. On top of that our RT is complete trash.

Trenches > Wideouts & Secondary

Most important doesn't mean go full retard and think because you have a good offensive line you win. Its more to it than just that. If that was the case there would be no need to pay wrs and te's big bucks. I'm starting to se an evolution in the league where it is becoming a passing league. With that said ol isn't as important to a qb like cam who can extend plays and make your line look better than it is. Get the man some weapons.

Posted · Report post

Most important doesn't mean go full retard and think because you have a good offensive line you win. Its more to it than just that. If that was the case there would be no need to pay wrs and te's big bucks. I'm starting to se an evolution in the league where it is becoming a passing league. With that said ol isn't as important to a qb like cam who can extend plays and make your line look better than it is. Get the man some weapons.

You're about 5 years late on that observation, but welcome to the party. But about that; the league is a passing oriented league, but we are going back to a ball control offense that relies on the ground game.

OL is what makes a rushing attack. OL is what allows your receivers to get open, OL is what keeps people away from Cam's surgically repaired ankle.

Seattle and Atlanta are two good example. Seattle had pedestrian receivers, but because Russell has one of the best OL's in the NFL he could wait for the routes to develop and allow the receivers to come open.

Atlanta has as much talent at the skill positions as anyone, but their neglect of the OL saw their O come to a screeching halt. Jackson couldn't run and Ryan didn't have the time in the pocket to throw the ball, even on shorter routes.

Posted · Report post

Weapons won't do you any good if you don't have time and can't run the ball. 

Football starts from the inside out. Games are won and lost in the trenches. 

Posted · Report post

You're about 5 years late on that observation, but welcome to the party. But about that; the league is a passing oriented league, but we are going back to a ball control offense that relies on the ground game.

OL is what makes a rushing attack. OL is what allows your receivers to get open, OL is what keeps people away from Cam's surgically repaired ankle.

Seattle and Atlanta are two good example. Seattle had pedestrian receivers, but because Russell has one of the best OL's in the NFL he could wait for the routes to develop and allow the receivers to come open.

Atlanta has as much talent at the skill positions as anyone, but their neglect of the OL saw their O come to a screeching halt. Jackson couldn't run and Ryan didn't have the time in the pocket to throw the ball, even on shorter routes.

The offensive line does not allow receivers to get open, that's a myth at best. I played receiver from grade school to high school, and me getting open had nothing to do with what the offensive lineman on my team were doing. You can't get handled off the line, then be blanketed, then deal with over the top help and somehow run through your route and scramble open. It doesn't happen. Sometimes you can find a hole, but that's happening on a consistent basis. You have to beat your man, simple and plain.

Posted · Report post

The offensive line does not allow receivers to get open, that's a myth at best. I played receiver from grade school to high school, and me getting open had nothing to do with what the offensive lineman on my team were doing. You can't get handled off the line, then be blanketed, then deal with over the top help and somehow run through your route and scramble open. It doesn't happen. Sometimes you can find a hole, but that's happening on a consistent basis. You have to beat your man, simple and plain.

It's part of the equation, I didn't say it was the entire reason. Give a QB 5-7 seconds to throw and I guarantee you'll see more open receivers and completed passes than throw aways and coverage sacks.

Fwiw, I'm not discounting the need for skill players, simply saying you must have a proper foundation to get the most out of them. The OL is the foundation of the offense and DG agrees.

Posted · Report post

It's part of the equation, I didn't say it was the entire reason. Give a QB 5-7 seconds to throw and I guarantee you'll see more open receivers and completed passes than throw aways and coverage sacks.

Fwiw, I'm not discounting the need for skill players, simply saying you must have a proper foundation to get the most out of them. The OL is the foundation of the offense and DG agrees.

Well we seen that last year didn't we? Am I crazy to think that Cam spent a lot of time last year scrambling for what amounts to a hell of a lot of time for a quarterback to find a open man, and yet we didn't have the production that you would expect. Now if we had better receivers we would have seen more Russell Wilson type plays from Newton where maybe someone can find a whole or break open, but that's still a difficult task.

Posted · Report post

This is funny.

OL most certainly allows WR's to get open. 

Notice that doesn't mean every time or scenario. 

Yes you still have to beat your man, but beating your man is much easier when you have 6+ seconds compared to 3. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cam and Wilson's number were very similar.

Again, I'm not saying we don't need a serious infusion of receiver talent, my point is that you must have time to throw to them. In my dream world we walk away from the draft with 2 OL and 3-4 targets for Cam, but it's highly unlikely it'll work out that way.

Posted · Report post

This is funny.

OL most certainly allows WR's to get open. 

Notice that doesn't mean every time or scenario. 

Yes you still have to beat your man, but beating your man is much easier when you have 6+ seconds compared to 3. 

Have you played football, honest question? If so you haven't played receiver.

Posted · Report post

Seattle's O line was not that good either, it was basically Wilson scrambling around buying time and WR making plays.
2 people like this