• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SZ James (banned)

This is pathetic

It's even more sad if you actually went to unc and you are okay with the cheating and fake classes.

Really?  So because a few other schools do it it's okay for your school to do it?  Is that what you are going to tell your kids?  Other kids are breaking the rules so it's okay for you to do it too.  If so that is terrible parenting.  If you watched the Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel you would know that the athletes were given their schedules and steered toward fake classes so I don't know that you can say "can't help the athletes if they don't want help".

Dont have kids so I'm not worried about that.  You want to fix the system, stop allowing universities to be a minor league. Dont just take a holier than thou attitude towards UNC because you dont like the school.  You know damn well those football and basketball players wouldnt be at duke if they didnt run fast and jump high

And no, athletes were not steered towards those classes unless they didnt give a poo about their education.  They could have told their advisers that they wanted to take other classes, I should know, I had a Stats class with a football player that was certainly not required for the AFAM degree. 

Lets be frank, the players taking those fake classes had 1) no business being admitted to UNC and 2) no interest in taking classes at UNC.  Why should I care if they want to do the minimum classwork possible.  Look, if you actually want to provide them with classes at their level that will actually benefit them I'm all for it, but dont be surprised when those classes dont resemble a legitimate college class.

No it doesn't I gave you the facts of the story.  You know unc had fake classes and gave away grades, the whole AFAM major was a sham.  Mary Willingham(works in Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling, an Advisor in the Graduation division) is an employee of unc and she is the one that has this paper so is she lying?  Why would she lie?  What does she gain from lying?  She has gotten nothing but being harassed and bullied by unc officials and unc fans.  You are what unc's problem are, you deflect and try and discredit instead of taking a good look at the issues and trying to fix them.    

http://www.wncn.com/story/25040470/group-unc-broke-state-law-by-harassing-willingham

She misrepresented what the paper really was so her integrity is definitely in question.She didn't correct what it was until later and pressed on the issue.Asking why she would lie is not proof or evidence that she didn't lie , when in fact she did lie when she tried to palm this paper off as something other than what it really is. In fact we don't know the whole truth about this paper. She presented it with false info on the paper itself then later admitted it was false.Who wrote those things on the paper? If those things were wrote on the paper and were wrong the whole paper is in question.how much other false info is on the paper?

this is not deflecting it is detecting deception.

She needs to be harrassed. She is a liar and just trying to pile on with false accusations and false evidence. She is UNC's version of Crystal Mangum.

Dont have kids so I'm not worried about that.  You want to fix the system, stop allowing universities to be a minor league. Dont just take a holier than thou attitude towards UNC because you dont like the school.  You know damn well those football and basketball players wouldnt be at duke if they didnt run fast and jump high

And no, athletes were not steered towards those classes unless they didnt give a poo about their education.  They could have told their advisers that they wanted to take other classes, I should know, I had a Stats class with a football player that was certainly not required for the AFAM degree. 

Lets be frank, the players taking those fake classes had 1) no business being admitted to UNC and 2) no interest in taking classes at UNC.  Why should I care if they want to do the minimum classwork possible.  Look, if you actually want to provide them with classes at their level that will actually benefit them I'm all for it, but dont be surprised when those classes dont resemble a legitimate college class.

Really?  The only Duke basketball player I know that didn't graduate or isn't coming back for summer classes to graduate is Austin Rivers.  Irving has been back every summer since he left early and the rest have graduated, not to mention all the Acc Academic All Americans Duke has had.  So it's probably not a good idea to try and argue that.

Athletes were steered that way, multiple athletes were interviewed along with people like Jennifer Wiley(the tutor) that said that was how it went down.  Were there some athletes that took "real" classes?  Of course but that is not the issue here, the issue is not helping the athletes who really needed the help.  unc was in a position, as a very prestigious university, to help these athletes and instead just gave them an easy pass on through all while using them for their athletic ability.  If you haven't watched the Real Sports episode on this you should.

She misrepresented what the paper really was so her integrity is definitely in question.She didn't correct what it was until later and pressed on the issue.Asking why she would lie is not proof or evidence that she didn't lie , when in fact she did lie when she tried to palm this paper off as something other than what it really is. In fact we don't know the whole truth about this paper. She presented it with false info on the paper itself then later admitted it was false.Who wrote those things on the paper? If those things were wrote on the paper and were wrong the whole paper is in question.how much other false info is on the paper?

this is not deflecting it is detecting deception.

She needs to be harrassed. She is a liar and just trying to pile on with false accusations and false evidence. She is UNC's version of Crystal Mangum.

She didn't misrepresent anything, she is the one that "cleared" it up.  The facts are the facts and you can sit here and try and dispute them all day long but you are wrong.  There has been academic fraud with athletes at unc, true or false?  There have been fake classes at unc for athletes, true or false?  AFAM was a sham of a major, true or false?  All of these are true so why is it so hard to believe that there were/are some unc athletes who are functionally illiterate?

All the facts point to her being honest and truthful and your "facts" are merely someone taking her words out of context and trying to pass them along.  She is the one that cleared it up when she realized someone had taken what she said out of context.  Espn is the one that pieced together the story and Willingham is the one who cleared it up.  Bottom line is to think someone who wrote that, even if it's a rough draft, could get an "A" in a college course at unc is an idiot.  Trying to compare her to Crystal Mangum is a farce and completely off base.  

The story behind the essay, however, was more complicated than we thought. According to ESPN’s source, what the network’s cameras captured was not a paper from one of UNC’s fake classes. Nor was it necessarily a finished piece of work. It was most likely a draft of one piece of a take-home final for a legitimate introductory course. The student did not earn the A- for the paper specifically, but for the entire, completed class.

So instead of evidence of specific academic corruption, the image merely seems to be visual proof that UNC admitted athletes with grade-school-level writing skills and awarded them high marks.

Though Willingham never explicitly says so, ESPN’s editing seemed to create the impression that the paper in question was actually from one of the fake courses. But after the essay began making the rounds on Twitter, Willingham clarified that was not the case.

She didn't misrepresent anything, she is the one that "cleared" it up.  The facts are the facts and you can sit here and try and dispute them all day long but you are wrong.  There has been academic fraud with athletes at unc, true or false?  There have been fake classes at unc for athletes, true or false?  AFAM was a sham of a major, true or false?  All of these are true so why is it so hard to believe that there were/are some unc athletes who are functionally illiterate?

All the facts point to her being honest and truthful and your "facts" are merely someone taking her words out of context and trying to pass them along.  She is the one that cleared it up when she realized someone had taken what she said out of context.  Espn is the one that pieced together the story and Willingham is the one who cleared it up.  Bottom line is to think someone who wrote that, even if it's a rough draft, could get an "A" in a college course at unc is an idiot.  Trying to compare her to Crystal Mangum is a farce and completely off base.  

The story behind the essay, however, was more complicated than we thought. According to ESPN’s source, what the network’s cameras captured was not a paper from one of UNC’s fake classes. Nor was it necessarily a finished piece of work. It was most likely a draft of one piece of a take-home final for a legitimate introductory course. The student did not earn the A- for the paper specifically, but for the entire, completed class.

So instead of evidence of specific academic corruption, the image merely seems to be visual proof that UNC admitted athletes with grade-school-level writing skills and awarded them high marks.

Though Willingham never explicitly says so, ESPN’s editing seemed to create the impression that the paper in question was actually from one of the fake courses. But after the essay began making the rounds on Twitter, Willingham clarified that was not the case.

that's not true she misrepresented what the paper was then only clarified after she was called out on it. She was going to let it ride as if the original portrayal was true. cleared it up?  she voted for it before she voted against it.She got caught!

the facts in this case are that the paper as represented is a lie. the facts in this case show she is misrepresenting her "evidence" and she got caught.Her integrity is highly doubtful at this point by her own doing. nothing she has presented has passed the smell test  so at this point nothing she does can be taken at face value.

Really?  The only Duke basketball player I know that didn't graduate or isn't coming back for summer classes to graduate is Austin Rivers.  Irving has been back every summer since he left early and the rest have graduated, not to mention all the Acc Academic All Americans Duke has had.  So it's probably not a good idea to try and argue that.

Athletes were steered that way, multiple athletes were interviewed along with people like Jennifer Wiley(the tutor) that said that was how it went down.  Were there some athletes that took "real" classes?  Of course but that is not the issue here, the issue is not helping the athletes who really needed the help.  unc was in a position, as a very prestigious university, to help these athletes and instead just gave them an easy pass on through all while using them for their athletic ability.  If you haven't watched the Real Sports episode on this you should.

You seriously think that Kyrie Irving, non-basketball player, would have been admitted into Duke?  lol ok

Can you even read my arguments from all the way up on your high horse?

You seriously think that Kyrie Irving, non-basketball player, would have been admitted into Duke?  lol ok

Can you even read my arguments from all the way up on your high horse?

No, do you know how hard it is to get into Duke?  32,000 students applied for the 2014 freshman class and 2,600 were accepted so he would not have made it on grades alone I wouldn't think.  My point was he could do the class work and wasn't functionally illiterate.  Like I said he is taking his summers to go back and finish up his degree just like most of the Duke players who left early.  

that's not true she misrepresented what the paper was then only clarified after she was called out on it. She was going to let it ride as if the original portrayal was true. cleared it up?  she voted for it before she voted against it.She got caught!

Are you illiterate?  If you read what I posted it showed that ESPN edited the piece and THEY implied the paper was a final paper that got an "A" not Willingham, she is the one that set the record straight.  Instead of just posting blindly why don't you cite these sources where she blatantly lied and said that this was a final paper that got an "A" or is this just something you know like when you knew ISU was going to score on that final possession.

the facts in this case are that the paper as represented is a lie. the facts in this case show she is misrepresenting her "evidence" and she got caught.Her integrity is highly doubtful at this point by her own doing. nothing she has presented has passed the smell test  so at this point nothing she does can be taken at face value.

Did unc have fake classes?  Did unc give athletes grades?

No, do you know how hard it is to get into Duke?  32,000 students applied for the 2014 freshman class and 2,600 were accepted so he would not have made it on grades alone I wouldn't think.  My point was he could do the class work and wasn't functionally illiterate.  Like I said he is taking his summers to go back and finish up his degree just like most of the Duke players who left early.  

Good. So we agree that

You know damn well those football and basketball players wouldnt be at duke if they didnt run fast and jump high

Did unc have fake classes?  Did unc give athletes grades?

was this paper a correct representation ? was it a lie? that is what we are talking about and that is what I said. Willingham is a liar and you don't let the liar explain the lie.you changed the subject because you know it is a lie I know it's a lie.You defended it and no matter what UNC did it doesn't make this the truth.if you want to discuss the AFAM courses that would be fine but lumping this lie in with it is not.do you have any new issues to bring up about Afam or are you just regurgitating what has already been given and is already known? Do you have any real points on the matter that have not been discussed?

Good. So we agree that

Yes we can agree that you have to be a bright, motivated, and very skilled person to be accepted to Duke. Whether you are an athlete or a regular student you have to stand out to be able to go to Duke.

was this paper a correct representation ? was it a lie? that is what we are talking about and that is what I said. Willingham is a liar and you don't let the liar explain the lie.you changed the subject because you know it is a lie I know it's a lie.You defended it and no matter what UNC did it doesn't make this the truth.if you want to discuss the AFAM courses that would be fine but lumping this lie in with it is not.do you have any new issues to bring up about Afam or are you just regurgitating what has already been given and is already known? Do you have any real points on the matter that have not been discussed?

Answer my questions stop deflecting.

It says AFAM 41 final paper on it. She presented it that way. no editing did that. it is not a final paper, it is a lie.

She said she had a whole stack of papers to present and yet this was the only one. She was a tutor but failed to proof read the paper she offered.