• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#46 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

when I got up this morning, my pee came out at a 45 degree angle.

#47 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Aaaahhh I see. So the GM who helped us get to 12-4 last year deserves no credit for it. Brilliant :wacko:

How thoroughly odd that nobody's beating down the door to hire Marty Hurney as their GM.

(heck, nobody's even making the effort it takes to dial a phone)

Meanwhile, Gettleman's peers praise the job he did.

But of course you, with all your team building expertise, praise a man who only helmed three winning teams In eleven seasons, presided over four straight losing seasons before last year, traded up for guys like Everette Brown and Armanti Edwards and tried to trade up for Jimmy Clausen, and who when he was asked how he'd fix a team in crisis responded "I don't know."

Who to take seriously... :unsure:

I never said he didn't deserve any credit, I said he doesn't deserve as much credit as you guys here give him. I also never said I preferred Marty as a GM, those are assumptions you must include because your argument is void of anything that makes sense.

And again I hate to defend Hurney, but getting a GM job ain't easy ol Dave will tell you that. Who says he's even looking for a job? He might be content where he is.

#48 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,338 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Well it's completely expected of us fans to support. I'd rather not be a pessimist. Unlike a lot of huddlers I've seen lately

I can respect your optimism

Good ol faith never hurt!

Love the fresh smell of sarcasm before dinner!

There will always be a certain amount of doubt, belief, sarcasm, pessimism and optimism during the off-season. Moreover, such feelings are more dynamic than static, and may change depending upon the issue, circumstance and/or perspective.  It's just the nature of the beast.  

The thing is is that this is a forum where such issues are supposed to be readily discussed.  

One thing that I think that we can all agree on is that no man is perfect.  It can be argued that blindly following any man without questioning what he's doing or where he's taking you exhibits a certain amount of bad "faith" and is somewhat disingenuous. 

#49 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,884 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

I never said he didn't deserve any credit, I said he doesn't deserve as much credit as you guys here give him. I also never said I preferred Marty as a GM, those are assumptions you must include because your argument is void of anything that makes sense.

And again I hate to defend Hurney, but getting a GM job ain't easy ol Dave will tell you that. Who says he's even looking for a job? He might be content where he is.

Given the posts you've made lately - including the one I responded to - you're not really in much of a position to talk about the other people's arguments not making sense.

#50 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

U didn't answer any of his questions. Just made fun of him.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#51 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

His point is that people on here are screaming patience, yet jump all over gman like he is the coming of Jesus. We must have been so starved for a winner! My question is still the same if he gets all the credit for 12-4, if we don't do good this year, he should also get all the blame.

#52 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

How some of you can't wait to blame DG when it's clear he doesn't have the money to acquire quality talent is amazing. Yes we are saying give him credit for being able to get some good players for cheap last year but if we don't have the same result this year ( as a result of Hurney leaving us in cap hell) how are you going to blame him? Where was he supposed to get the money from?

#53 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,884 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

His point is that people on here are screaming patience, yet jump all over gman like he is the coming of Jesus. We must have been so starved for a winner! My question is still the same if he gets all the credit for 12-4, if we don't do good this year, he should also get all the blame.

All the blame?

Did he write all the contracts that are on the books right now?

Until the answer to that question is 'yes', then 'all the blame' isn't really going to be a valid option.  And no, neither is 'all the credit' but the more rational posters on here would tell you he he deserves way more of it than Mr. Boogie is giving.

Nobody is 'jumping all over Gman like he's the second coming'.  What we are saying is that he's a true "football guy" and the Panthers are finally being run like a true football team.  And that is something that's worthy of a little patience.

That is, unless you wanna be one of those teams that just fires whomever's in charge when they don't win it all.  That's the philosophy that's been employed by teams like the Raiders and the Browns.

How's that approach working in those cities?

#54 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

All the blame?

Did he write all the contracts that are on the books right now?

Until the answer to that question is 'yes', then 'all the blame' isn't really going to be a valid option. And no, neither is 'all the credit' but the more rational posters on here would tell you he he deserves way more of it than Mr. Boogie is giving.

Nobody is 'jumping all over Gman like he's the second coming'. What we are saying is that he's a true "football guy" and the Panthers are finally being run like a true football team. And that is something that's worthy of a little patience.

That is, unless you wanna be one of those teams that just fires whomever's in charge when they don't win it all. That's the philosophy that's been employed by teams like the Raiders and the Browns.

How's that approach working in those cities?

Gettleman deserves credit for getting under the cap,(which is something every GM can do)while maintaining a competitive roster(something not every GM can do).In other words Gettleman brought in the side dishes to the thanksgiving feast to complete the meal. The turkey was already here.

#55 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,884 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Gettleman deserves credit for getting under the cap,(which is something every GM can do)while maintaining a competitive roster(something not every GM can do).In other words Gettleman brought in the side dishes to the thanksgiving feast to complete the meal. The turkey was already here.

And that was so easy anyone could do it, right?

(except the guy who said, "I don't know" of course)

#56 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

And that was so easy anyone could do it, right?

(except the guy who said, "I don't know" of course)

He said I don't know to why the record was it was. Let's not forget we were 1-3 this year until Ron became Riverboat Ron. I'm not a Hurney fan, I wanted the guy fired lets make that clear. Just because you don't agree with the moves Gettleman makes doesn't mean you want Hurney back.

#57 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,649 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hurney obviously deserved to be fired, largely for his terrible drafting outside the first round.

Gettleman inherited some damn fine pieces roster wise though. Cam, Luke, CJ, Hardy, Kalil, Olsen, Davis.

#58 BigCat

BigCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Every year it's the same thing, I've done it myself, we sit here and complain about the previous season and doom the next. We don't know what will happen. It's okay to express your displeasure with the previous season. But my God let all the offseason (ie: draft and fee agency) happen before we call the next season a Bust. C'mon man!

#59 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Again I not saying DG is a bad gm. I am just saying let's give him more than a year before we bow down to him. Most in the NFL will tell you one year may not necessarily carry over to the next. So what worked magically for him last year may not work as well this year.

#60 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,884 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Again I not saying DG is a bad gm. I am just saying let's give him more than a year before we bow down to him. Most in the NFL will tell you one year may not necessarily carry over to the next. So what worked magically for him last year may not work as well this year.

Nobody's bowing down to him.

What we are saying is essentially four things...

- Late March / early April is way too soon for panic, doom and gloom, regardless of who the GM is. 

- Gettleman did a good job last year, so he's earned the benefit of a doubt going into this season. 

- There are limitations and constraints placed on him because of Hurney's mismanagement that he'll have to fight through

- Until the bad contracts written by Hurney are off the books, you can't put all the blame for anything on Gettleman

Bottom Line: Free agency will be continuing for a few months yet and we haven't even gotten close to the draft.  There's still plenty of offseason left.  For that reason alone, the people screaming and throwing tantrums about the state of the roster right now are being utterly ridiculous.

No 'bowing down to Gettleman'.  it's just a matter of being at least a halfway rational adult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com