Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is being proud of being white wrong?

194 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

so what's the difference between being proud of being white and being proud of being native american? why is white pride generally a douchey thing insofar as we view it socially, but native american pride is a good thing? why is one better than the other?

native americans have a history of genocide and persecution. it's not weird to see a group persecuted due to their skin color reject that by showing pride in their skin color. it's weird if you're a white person in america showing white pride because you're not a persecuted minority. it seems like a really childish reaction to a perfectly reasonable expression of pride

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

native americans have a history of genocide and persecution. it's not weird to see a group persecuted due to their skin color reject that by showing pride in their skin color. it's weird if you're a white person in america showing white pride because you're not a persecuted minority. it seems like a really childish reaction to a perfectly reasonable expression of pride

you all dog on GS (sometimes rightfully so) but he's hitting on a point that i think is key to figuring this all out: race must be viewed primarily as an identity marker, not a random biological factor in a vacuum.

when you understand the act of being proud of being racially native american as identity with a culture that largely aligns with the race that practices it, it makes a whole lot more sense than "oh hey look at the amount of melanin in my skin, neato burrito" and suddenly changes the focus of pride from skin color to things like history, culture, associated political solidarity, etc.

in this same way, being proud of being black does not denote being happy about a skin color for the sake of skin color, or elevation over other skin colors, but it signals solidarity with culture and the way the community as a whole - contemporarily and historically - has overcome oppression. historically is another key here, by the way: we cannot view these things in a vacuum. we must always remember that phenomenon comes within a broader context, historically, and this view helps us understand identity is more than just temporal, mono-generational: identity is transgenerational, and identity is rooted firmly in heritage, in a manner that makes black pride a transcendent experience, an ever-rebirthing culmination of a treacherous traversing of what the sociologist wallace would call mazeways, paths through the social structure that creates human society.

so what we have here, essentially, is african-american people and native american people saying "we have struggled historically in the context of colonial american roots, the legacy of which has rippled through generations, but we have overcome and continue to rise toward successful demographic positioning in modern society, and we're proud of that!"

conversely, in this same context, white pride is "golly gee willickers i miss the way things were!"

many will jump at that last statement because they feel instinctively that it's not true. i would argue that you're right: it's not true, out of this context of race relations. but as we have noted, we do not exist in a vacuum, and the fact that the graphic in the OP exists in the first place tells us we're operating in a very specific context, one that simply cannot escape the historical, political, social, and economic forces that compose it. 

at the end of the day, then, given this context, it takes a special kind of ignorance or arrogance or immaturity, whatever you want to call it, to adopt that sentiment. really motherfucker? if the most outrageous thing you can think of to get your hackles up and whitie tighties in a bunch is that the big bad liberals will get mad if you talk about how proud you are of your whiteness then you need to get your ass on a plane to an impoverished country and pour that energy into some actual injustices and human need, because right now you just look like a fucking asshole. statistically being white lands you the best chance to hit the highest echelons of a society stratified heavily along racial and economic lines, so honestly shut the fuck and take your lumps (as if white pride being socially unacceptable is a lump) like everyone else.

edit: i would also agree that "irish pride" or "polish pride" are entirely different things than "white pride" because they're eminently cultural and thus completely subvert the racial context particular to the american society we are discussing.

double edit: to complicate things further, we also must differentiate between pride as "X is the BEST!" and pride as "look what X has accomplished!"

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

this "i don't understand why anyone has pride in their race" poo is pure "colorblind" racism

everyone who has ever bastardized mlk's dream in defense of racist policy would do well to click that link. i mean it doesn't really say much that i haven't said here at one point or another but at least none of you people have caught feelings over this author

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I still don't see that as pride in race as much as pride/solidarity in culture. Sure, race often connects people with a particular culture, but I tend to keep the two separate for simplicity (or possibly laziness on my part). Maybe I was just thinking of the initial question too simply. In the sense of solidarity and understanding where your culture has come from as opposed to where it is today, yes, pride there is warranted. And, as pointed out, the white race has a history of privilege as opposed to minorities having a history of persecution, so being proud of being white is just dumb.

Posted · Report post

So nothing changes. We always have to look at other races as different . That fucking sucks

Posted · Report post

no you have to understand that people from different races often have different experiences and that the generic white experience is much different than the generic black experience, despite the fact that race isn't actually a real thing beyond society's perception

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

So nothing changes. We always have to look at other races as different . That fuging sucks

i think it will change, over time. we have come farther along in the past 50-year time span than any 50-year time span has seen progress in all of human history. people have been brutalizing each other in some form or another for millions of years based on differences, and it's only very recently, relatively speaking, that society has pretty much unanimously agreed that racial egalitarianism is an important thing. there are still people alive today who remember when it legally wasn't. it's only natural to expect a transition period.

remember also that we are in the south, where shit is still backwards as hell.

in 50 more years i expect this to be half the issue it is now, and even now it is really only a problem with the raving morons whose sentiments like the OP are thinly-veiled political statements. as they succumb to the natural processes of time and age they will be replaced by people who realize how fuckin dumb that shit is… as long as we continue along a path of educating people, which seems a tenuous proposition of late

Posted · Report post

I'm proud to be southern and proud of southern heritage.

Many people equate that with racism and I disagree with that.

Posted · Report post

If we're going to entertain (or insist upon) one's "accomplishments/achievements" by right of birth, then don't be surprised by your own contribution to the perpetuation of what amounts to generational conflict

Posted · Report post

Oh I knew what the thread was fishing for. So I countered with focusing on deeds instead of keeping the skin color dogma on life support.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

so what's the difference between being proud of being white and being proud of being native american? why is white pride generally a douchey thing insofar as we view it socially, but native american pride is a good thing? why is one better than the other?

I too think being proud of your color is pretty silly. But i guess i could see how a minority could feel proud of their heritage or skin color when they feel somewhat squashed by the majority and/or seen their culture disappear as other cultures creep in and take over.  Maybe in the similar way a curvy girl say's I'm proud of my curves after constantly seeing super skinny girls on mags, tv, movies etc. and feeling pressure to conform or feels inferior.  

Posted · Report post

So are we saying criticism/disrimination, whether just or unjust, is a worthy of a group of people having "pride"?

Fat or curvy pride, gay pride, native American or black pride, etc.

The heritage pride thing, I get, unless of course I disagree with the things your heritage has in its closet.  Fair?

Can White Pride be the new thing now as it seems more en vogue to criticize whites? In other words, is it okay to have pride as a group now that would not have been cool 100 yrs ago?  Can you "outgrow" your pride as your discrimination is now a thing of the past?

Not sure what Philly was baiting the hook for, but it generally raises more questions than the initial one.