#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,146 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

So nothing changes. We always have to look at other races as different . That fuging sucks

i think it will change, over time. we have come farther along in the past 50-year time span than any 50-year time span has seen progress in all of human history. people have been brutalizing each other in some form or another for millions of years based on differences, and it's only very recently, relatively speaking, that society has pretty much unanimously agreed that racial egalitarianism is an important thing. there are still people alive today who remember when it legally wasn't. it's only natural to expect a transition period.

remember also that we are in the south, where poo is still backwards as hell.

in 50 more years i expect this to be half the issue it is now, and even now it is really only a problem with the raving morons whose sentiments like the OP are thinly-veiled political statements. as they succumb to the natural processes of time and age they will be replaced by people who realize how fugin dumb that poo is… as long as we continue along a path of educating people, which seems a tenuous proposition of late

#32 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

I'm proud to be southern and proud of southern heritage.

Many people equate that with racism and I disagree with that.

#33 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:37 AM

If we're going to entertain (or insist upon) one's "accomplishments/achievements" by right of birth, then don't be surprised by your own contribution to the perpetuation of what amounts to generational conflict

#34 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,658 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

Oh I knew what the thread was fishing for. So I countered with focusing on deeds instead of keeping the skin color dogma on life support.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#35 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

so what's the difference between being proud of being white and being proud of being native american? why is white pride generally a douchey thing insofar as we view it socially, but native american pride is a good thing? why is one better than the other?

I too think being proud of your color is pretty silly. But i guess i could see how a minority could feel proud of their heritage or skin color when they feel somewhat squashed by the majority and/or seen their culture disappear as other cultures creep in and take over.  Maybe in the similar way a curvy girl say's I'm proud of my curves after constantly seeing super skinny girls on mags, tv, movies etc. and feeling pressure to conform or feels inferior.  

#36 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

So are we saying criticism/disrimination, whether just or unjust, is a worthy of a group of people having "pride"?

Fat or curvy pride, gay pride, native American or black pride, etc.

The heritage pride thing, I get, unless of course I disagree with the things your heritage has in its closet.  Fair?

Can White Pride be the new thing now as it seems more en vogue to criticize whites? In other words, is it okay to have pride as a group now that would not have been cool 100 yrs ago?  Can you "outgrow" your pride as your discrimination is now a thing of the past?

Not sure what Philly was baiting the hook for, but it generally raises more questions than the initial one.

#37 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,146 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Not sure what Philly was baiting the hook for, but it generally raises more questions than the initial one.

i came across the graphic in the OP and noticed that it reflected a huge gulf of understanding between people who would post it believing it to be an accurate commentary and those who excoriate it as ignorant and short-sighted. starting a thread was a way to open up a dialogue on it.

for my part, i do think it's ignorant and short-sighted, and i outlined the reasons why. enduring systematic oppression binds people together and creates a special kind of group solidarity, and in the context of american history, blacks and native americans have pretty well got the shaft, and their rise up the social and economic brackets make perfect sense as a source of pride, of having overcome prejudice and other odds. it's in this overwhelming context of what it means to be proud of your race that being proud of being white is a dick thing to do.

out of that context it could be interpreted much differently - but functionally we cannot remove ourselves from that context, therefore that graphic posted in the OP is fuging stupid.

#38 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

So, GS has endured and is currently experiencing the same persecution as folks from the first part of the 20th century?  Just asking as a furtherance to the part about timing out of the Pride thing.

Will black pride, since that is what the point of the thread will come down to, be as relevant 20 or 50 years from now?  Will Latino pride take its place?  Once persecuted, always persecuted?

I know you love studies on these things, but you seem to stop short after you have labeled one group as just and the other as unjust.  Are there time limits on the persecution/pride thing?

#39 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

What about gay pride?

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,658 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Carolina Pride

#41 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

the term white was created to divide and conquer minorities as well as the lower class white people. europeans used to absolutely hate each other.

before the colonization of america the term white probably wouldn't be applied to those subhuman french or italian people etc. but the elites figured that the lower class would join with the black slaves, they for the first time made them think they actually shared more in common with the elite than those subhuman black people.

this kind of thinking hasn't changed at all for hundreds of years since. i think the question "is this racist" is irrelevant. i wish the white pride people would catch on to how they are being manipulated.

#42 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

10001584_10202111073032968_874280352_n.j

#43 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

remember also that we are in the south, where poo is still backwards as hell.

dude i have found more racism in other places than the south; of course that is just my experiences

I'm proud to be southern and proud of southern heritage.

Many people equate that with racism and I disagree with that.

yup

#44 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,658 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Wait you guys mean to tell me as long as humans walk the earth there will be divisions and factions? Get outta here.

#45 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

no you have to understand that people from different races often have different experiences and that the generic white experience is much different than the generic black experience, despite the fact that race isn't actually a real thing beyond society's perception

i do get that. but i guess this doesn't really have to do with the OP about is white pride the same as black pride or asian pride or hispanic pride. i know it's not based on our history and legislation.

i think what i'm trying to say is am i suppose to always have these things in the back of my mind when i interact with someone of a different race. it's almost like am i suppose to feel sorry for them. and that makes you look at them differently. and that makes me feel uncomfortable. this stuff is really hard to explain coherently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.