Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can Byron Bell really play left tackle and Cam survive?

80 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I typically agree...but the right side of our line was a trainwreck last year. Cam is only going to be a better pocket passer if he actually has a pocket to stand in. Unfortunately at this point it looks like we are either going to have Bell or a rookie starting on that side. I don't see any good LTs getting cut before the season.

The left side of the line was a train wreck until Wharton replaced Silatolu.  However general perception taints opinions around here.  I am more afraid of Silatolu at LG than Byron Bell at LT.   However I understand I am in the minority.  Byron Bell like Silatolu has all the physical tools to be successful.  His mistakes are of the mental variety and not the I'm totally outclassed kind.  Gross seems to think he can play LT.  Rivera seems to think so.  I am pretty sure that if he can't by the end of preseason he will be replaced in some way shape or form.

Posted · Report post

Its not like the techniques are different, he is going to face more top end talent. IMO we draft  OT like Cyrus or Ju'Wuan James that wins the LT position by end of pre-season. The Panthers are going to  have a balanced OL that can run block and pass protect. The ball control offense philosophy will need a tackle that excels in run blocking.  

Mock

LT-Kouandjio | LG-Amini | C-Kalil | RG-Kugbilla | RT-Bell

Posted · Report post

Bell's issues have always struck me as more mental than physical. He's had good games and then some horrid ones. Offensive line is very much a confidence thing, Jordan talks all the time how he was certain he was a bust early in his career, and Kalil still remembers whiffing on his very first snap in the NFL. Bell may need to be talked up so he can believe in himself enough to actually attack the position with confidence if its required. And sometimes being challenged is what allows someone to take the next step.

And the league has changed, lots of teams rush their best against the RT because they know that's where it's weakest.

Posted · Report post

But you are a moderator 

in time you will come to find out that we mods are all pretty useless. i think it's a prerequisite for the job.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The kid can, i am sure.

Posted · Report post

I really don't understand how some of you folks make it through the offseason when it seems like even a single perceived weak spot on our roster is described as a "nightmare".

Bell at LT is not optimal, for sure.  But we'll live.  Change ALWAYS gives a player the opportunity to improve, whether it's moving to a new team, switching to a new position. or adopting a new offensive scheme.  Maybe Bell will improve with the move to LT too.  Or maybe he won't, who knows.  

But Cam is a sturdy dude.  As long as he doesn't show a tendency to fumble when hit from behind (which I don't think he does), it could actually be better for his pressure to come from that side more often.  The best QBs in the game have that sixth sense to feel and evade blind side pressure, and it usually results in a big play when they do.  Because blitzers from the blind side are almost always going full speed and possibly even diving to get to the QB as fast as possible, so when you make them miss, it's usually a clean miss.  Contrast that to one of Cam's greatest weaknesses this past season, which was getting pressure in his face from the Right side (due to poor RG play too, not just Bell's fault) and then he'd try to do too much.  Oftentimes, he ended up taking a much bigger sack than he would have if he had just gone down, which is exactly what would happen if he doesn't avoid blind side pressure.  Those huge sacks were absolute drive killers for us, especially against the best defenses in the League (SF, Sea).

I'm not trying to say Bell is a great solution at LT and everyone should be happy about it.  I'm just saying there are so many variables in a game of football, that we can't accurately predict the impact of having a less skilled player at LT this year than we did last year.  Maybe you all are right and it will be catastrophic, but I'm not buying it.  But no matter how that roster spot ends up come September, I'm still gonna let it play out before I make my judgements, rather than despairing over the unknown.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Still love how fans think they know more about evaluating and developing talent that professionals who do this for a living....and one who was very successful at it in NY.

Have you watched how terrible byron bell is? He was our worst starting olineman last year and we had a freaking dt at guard...

Posted · Report post

Have you watched how terrible byron bell is? He was our worst starting olineman last year and we had a freaking dt at guard...

The DT at guard was an OT before being a DT in college.  Not to mention our legit backup LT last year and played some in preseason.  Bell isn't as terrible as people make him out to be.  Our staff apparently sees something in him and he's just really average at this point imo.    

Posted · Report post

Still love how fans think they know more about evaluating and developing talent that professionals who do this for a living....and one who was very successful at it in NY.

when you got nothing....you gotta spin sometimes and also hope.

Anyone who watches Bell knows he struggles w/ speed rushers.  Even if he is more of a natural left side lineman.....his physical ablity isn't able to hang w/ speed rushers and they live on matching up w/ LTs.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure anyone who watched him in the preseason play LT knows this is the worse idea ever.  

The only thing more awkward to watch would be Alice trying to talk to a girl.  

Posted · Report post

[spoiler]dead-horse.gif[/spoiler]

Posted · Report post

This. It's very sad how many huddle gm's think they know more than a guy who has made a career evaluating talent or think their sarcastic, non funny comments on a forum make a difference.

I'm sure there is more to the situation then we know. Let's wait and see what happens before we all freak out.