Photo
- - - - -

Can Byron Bell really play left tackle and Cam survive?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 Panthers69473

Panthers69473

Mr Mojo Risin

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Still love how fans think they know more about evaluating and developing talent that professionals who do this for a living....and one who was very successful at it in NY.

Have you watched how terrible byron bell is? He was our worst starting olineman last year and we had a freaking dt at guard...

#32 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,962 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Have you watched how terrible byron bell is? He was our worst starting olineman last year and we had a freaking dt at guard...

The DT at guard was an OT before being a DT in college.  Not to mention our legit backup LT last year and played some in preseason.  Bell isn't as terrible as people make him out to be.  Our staff apparently sees something in him and he's just really average at this point imo.    

#33 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Still love how fans think they know more about evaluating and developing talent that professionals who do this for a living....and one who was very successful at it in NY.

when you got nothing....you gotta spin sometimes and also hope.

Anyone who watches Bell knows he struggles w/ speed rushers.  Even if he is more of a natural left side lineman.....his physical ablity isn't able to hang w/ speed rushers and they live on matching up w/ LTs.

#34 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm pretty sure anyone who watched him in the preseason play LT knows this is the worse idea ever.  

The only thing more awkward to watch would be Alice trying to talk to a girl.  

#35 0115

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Spoiler

#36 HoFBound59

HoFBound59

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

This. It's very sad how many huddle gm's think they know more than a guy who has made a career evaluating talent or think their sarcastic, non funny comments on a forum make a difference.

I'm sure there is more to the situation then we know. Let's wait and see what happens before we all freak out.

#37 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

I guess that's why every players that has been on the team had been a home run hit.  We hit every ball out of the park with that sort of logic.  So look in 20 years the entire 2013 team will be in the HoF.

I guess I need to rush and get a Kenyon Jersey signed asap.

#38 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

This. It's very sad how many huddle gm's think they know more than a guy who has made a career evaluating talent or think their sarcastic, non funny comments on a forum make a difference.

I'm sure there is more to the situation then we know. Let's wait and see what happens before we all freak out.

I am basing my opinion based on what I saw at RT. The guy does not have the feet to block speed rushers. Gman may have done this because we are broke....not an evaluation of talent. 

It is not like you can pick up a good LT for Vet minimum

#39 HoFBound59

HoFBound59

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

I am basing my opinion based on what I saw at RT. The guy does not have the feet to block speed rushers. Gman may have done this because we are broke....not an evaluation of talent. 

It is not like you can pick up a good LT for Vet minimum

I respect that. Perhaps it is the best DG thinks we can do for now, or at least until the draft. Like you say, he is working with what he has.

If Bell doesn't pan out, his faults can be fixed/compensated for by play calling, extra blockers, etc etc.

I was more so talking about others peoples comments than yours.

#40 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • 2,350 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Bell sucks we saw that last year, some of that was on cam but bell sucks,shouldn't be a starter it's like the munneryln thing,were not putting bell in a position to succeed

#41 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I respect that. Perhaps it is the best DG thinks we can do for now, or at least until the draft. Like you say, he is working with what he has.

If Bell doesn't pan out, his faults can be fixed/compensated for by play calling, extra blockers, etc etc.

I was more so talking about others peoples comments than yours.

Yea I can see more 2 TE sets with one being used as an additional blocker. My biggest fear is  keeping Cam upright and healthy. I would also hate to see him get frustrated if we cannot provide some level of protection.

Regardless of the draft I do not seeing our offense improving much this year.This is definitely a process and make take another year to right the ship

#42 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,653 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

What I wanna know is why was Nate Chandler the backup to Gross last season at LT, before being put in at RG because of injuries, if we are really going to try Bell at LT.

#43 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,457 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

His stats were actually not as bad as everyone here makes them out to be.

However, I am not sold on him being a great LT.  But, I trust Gettleman's and Rivera's evaluations much more than anyone's on here....including my own.

#44 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,457 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

when you got nothing....you gotta spin sometimes and also hope.

Anyone who watches Bell knows he struggles w/ speed rushers.  Even if he is more of a natural left side lineman.....his physical ablity isn't able to hang w/ speed rushers and they live on matching up w/ LTs.

I am taking the comments from Gettleman to mean that they think he may be better suited for the left side and will be given a shot there during camp and preseason.  I do not think they have anointed him the starting LT.

#45 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

I don't know if Bell is the answer at left tackle but then again I didn't know that Chandler would be the answer at right guard.  There will left tackles who started last year that will be cut after the draft as teams get their guy for the future.  We will find a few rentals for a year or two if we don't draft our future guy this year.  With as much as Gettleman likes Hog Mollies I am not as worried as others about our choices.  It is just April tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com