Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prepare the Anus: NC DOT wants to charge you $0.005 for every mile you drive

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Short term sure. I'm just saying long term it's a losing battle. We'll have to change the funding model from gas tax to something else or a combination of both.

As people upgrade to more fuel efficient cars, they're effectively giving themselves a tax cut, so keep that in mind. If you drive a car that gets 20 miles per gallon today and 20 years from now your car gets 60 mpg, you reduced your tax burden by 66.7%. Combine that with the fact that people are driving fewer miles on average than they did in the past, so that's pulls even more funds away from the highway fund. Roads construction isn't getting any cheaper, so the loss of funding has to be made up somewhere.

I only put about 15 gallons of gas in my car each month. Most of the people I know my age drive less than 5 miles to work, so we're not contributing much to the maintenance of roads. We're not alone, it's a generational shift.

If the trend continues, highway funds will be billions of dollars short. You can cut some from other programs, but only so much. How do you make up the difference?

So you drive less, you drive a better car, your car is doing less harm to the roads and the environment. Umm kinda sounds like you should be getting a tax break.

Posted

So you drive less, you drive a better car, your car is doing less harm to the roads and the environment. Umm kinda sounds like you should be getting a tax break.

I don't disagree, but roads will need maintenance frequently even if they are driven on less. Weather still takes a toll on them.

In the future, where does that money come from? The current funding model won't work. There will have to be changes.

Posted

If the friggin crooks at the DOT would stop giving outrageous contracts to all their private sector buddies we would have the roads in this state that we have already paid for with our gas taxes.  Bunch of bastards are no better than common thieves.

Posted

I hate the NCDOT.

Clarifcation:  I hate the NCDOT.

They are attempting to remove all at grade crossings on the railway from Raleigh to Charlotte in hopes of a high speed line being available in 20 years.  This includes many towns with the railway traveling right smack dab down the middle of their Main Street.  Thomasville, Salisbury, Kannapolis, Burlington, Concord, all points in between will be effected.

It is costing a ton and consdired part of Supreme Overload Obama's shovel ready program.