Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

McNabb weighs in on our lack of a threat at WR (via D. Newton)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
227 replies to this topic

#217 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

An analysis was done by some former NFL GM recently. There are only 13 no. 1 wrs in the league according to most scouts. The bears have two of them. That means over half the teams in the NFL are making do with lesser options at WR. The Seahawks put up 48 points in the SB with probably one of the 10 worst WR corps in the league. The Broncos put up less than 14 with arguably the best WR corp in the league....people need to calm down.

Didn't the Seattle defense score about 28 of those points in the SB (as they had done all year)? Their defense score more points than than the entire Denver team did. 

And Seattle's WR's didn't have big names. But they were competent; made repeated big and spectacular catches (particularly Golden Tate). And were better than Carolina's. Just think of all those crazy throws Wilson made on the run, where it appeared he would get sacked? It was Seattles WR's who bailed him out on many of those wild/high throws for TD's. 

Not a good example; though we get your point. Problem was: Carolina had truly one of the worst WR corps if you watched other teams play on a weekly basis. So practically any upgrade will be an improvement. 

#218 unicar15

unicar15

HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

Didn't the Seattle defense score about 28 of those points in the SB (as they had done all year)? Their defense score more points than than the entire Denver team did.

And Seattle's WR's didn't have big names. But they were competent; made repeated big and spectacular catches (particularly Golden Tate). And were better than Carolina's. Just think of all those crazy throws Wilson made on the run, where it appeared he would get sacked? It was Seattles WR's who bailed him out on many of those wild/high throws for TD's.

Not a good example; though we get your point. Problem was: Carolina had truly one of the worst WR corps if you watched other teams play on a weekly basis. So practically any upgrade will be an improvement.

It is a good example. If you think that the receivers Wilson was throwing to were any good before he became the QB then you're nuts. He made those receivers better...not the other way around. Cam has the ability to do the same.

Cam's ability to make life easier for the rest of the O combined with our D is what will make up for the fact that our drastically overrated 2013 Wr corp was broken up...

#219 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

Instigator

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Everyone respected McNabb until he left Philly. The Court of Public opinion is lead by the dumbest sheep of the clan. Or is that hyenas

#220 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

so this site thinks jerry jones is a good owner now i guess

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

You're argument don't mean poo because I have the numbers to back it up. And Keenan Allen had a better start to his career than all those guys. If he was a Panther you'd be all on his dick, but since your scouting expert Gettleman missed on him you trying to knock the mans skills. Stop hatin man that's a female trait.

do we have another topic to add to professor football's syllabus?

here's what the semester looks like so far:

lecture: "deangelo williams is as good as marshawn lynch"

quiz: "who would have been a better pick at 14 in the 2013 NFL draft than star lotulelei, and why would it have been deandre hopkins?"

lecture: "keenan allen is as good as calvin johnson and aj green"

quiz: "who is the worst general manager in NFL history, and why is it dave gettleman?"

#221 gettlemanjack

gettlemanjack

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Not saying that, necessarily. I'm just saying, every good team has at least ONE big time playmaking receiving option. We have none. Zero. ... Unless we draft a guy who can come in and start right away and be big time, ala AJ Green, we're in trouble.

to me, that is like saying every good team has at least one superstar OT/OG or at least one superstar CB/S and if we don't get one, we're in trouble. It would be nice if we had superstars at every position, but that's not realistic. What we do have is probably the best defensive front seven in the NFL, probably the best DE duo, arguably the best DL, probably the best defensive player in the NFL as our MLB in LK, etc. Pretty much the rest of the NFL would love to have our defense. If you want more superstars on offense, then we can start trading our superstars on D for them...

#222 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Why do I care what mcnabb thinks?

#223 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

It is a good example. If you think that the receivers Wilson was throwing to were any good before he became the QB then you're nuts. He made those receivers better...not the other way around. Cam has the ability to do the same.

Cam's ability to make life easier for the rest of the O combined with our D is what will make up for the fact that our drastically overrated 2013 Wr corp was broken up...

As I stated previously: Say what you want to say about the Seattle receivers (and there is plenty pro and con). However, they were better than the Panthers receivers, with their receivers regularly making circus catches the Panther receivers did/could not. 

Yes, Wilson bought them time with his roll outs. No argument there. However, they still had to catch the ball and make those TD's. Panther receivers were abysmal in/near the redzone, unless it was a quick strike, eventually open, and/or the defense was fooled. Where were the end zone box outs, struggles/take aways in the air, up over the defender, or circus catches?

Seattle receivers did all of that, on a lot of those Russell Wilson Roll outs. 

#224 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Why do I care what mcnabb thinks?

Because he can draw from personal experience and actually know what he is talking about.  

Anyone who is not being condescending towards McNabb just because they can ought to be able to see some parallels between what Mcnabb went through in Philly during his career regarding his receiving corps, and what has gone on in the beginning of Cam's career.  McNabb is just expressing his concern so that the Panthers will hopefully take a different path, and head this problem off at the pass by surrounding Cam with quality weapons and play makers so that Cam (and the team) can have the best chance of getting over the mountaintop. 

McNabb is not stupid, and neither is Cam. Don't think that Cam is another RG3---all in love with himself and a media darling---too big to talk/listen to McNabb who turned out to be spot on about RG3.  

McNabb was highly talented and carried the Eagles on his back offensively for years without a real threat at WR. Cam should not have to be in that situation, and that's why it's imperative for us to draft some offensive play makers at WR who can help maximize Cam's talent.  

#225 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Because he can draw from personal experience and actually know what he is talking about.  

Anyone who is not being condescending towards McNabb just because they can ought to be able to see some parallels between what Mcnabb went through in Philly during his career regarding his receiving corps, and what has gone on in the beginning of Cam's career.  McNabb is just expressing his concern so that the Panthers will hopefully take a different path, and head this problem off at the pass by surrounding Cam with quality weapons and play makers so that Cam (and the team) can have the best chance of getting over the mountaintop. 

McNabb is not stupid, and neither is Cam. Don't think that Cam is another RG3---all in love with himself and a media darling---too big to talk/listen to McNabb who turned out to be spot on about RG3.  

McNabb was highly talented and carried the Eagles on his back offensively for years without a real threat at WR. Cam should not have to be in that situation, and that's why it's imperative for us to draft some offensive play makers at WR who can help maximize Cam's talent.  

Problem is (and everyone secretly knows this): Cam is so big, strong and talented, he/they can get away with placing almost anyone around him for a decent offense. And that's what McNabb is concerned about of course. He knows this to. 

If you had placed RG3, Kaepernick, or even Russell on this Panther team last year (or Cam's first two years), anyone would know what I'm talking about and see the difference. The offense would have been abysmal.  

Nonetheless, I think Gettleman appears to be striking a balance between getting Cam useful receivers and potential weapons, while not breaking the bank. He knows Cam can make many a "useful" NFL receivers great, as he did Ted Ginn last year (and a previously non productive Smitty when he arrived to a lesser degree).  Let's see how the draft breaks out as well?

The fact that GMan's getting many tall receivers, reinforces the simple notion (though lost on many of the more excitable Huddler's during games), that Cam can use taller receivers to throw to, as he did in his rookie season with the two tight end sets, since he's 6'6" to begin with. 

Of course Competent/NFL level receivers will catch many of those "high balls" that some of those in game Huddler's don't realize other NFL receivers catch on a regular basis as well. So Panther receivers can be improved with out acquiring any "studs", since the Panthers receivers were so bad to begin with last year. However, let's hope one of the free agents, Brandon Williams/McNutt, or Panther draft picks, turn into "break out" status next season. 

We'll see?

#226 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Anyone who is not being condescending towards McNabb just because they can ought to be able to see some parallels between what Mcnabb went through in Philly during his career regarding his receiving corps, and what has gone on in the beginning of Cam's career. McNabb is just expressing his concern so that the Panthers will hopefully take a different path, and head this problem off at the pass by surrounding Cam with quality weapons and play makers so that Cam (and the team) can have the best chance of getting over the mountaintop.

I use to be a mcnabb supporter. I use to feel he got the raw end of the deal in philly, but his time since philly has proven to me that he was nothing but a system qb.
He was also never quite the leader many kade him our to be.

I understand wanting weapojs aroundour talented qb, but it's not as bare as many make it be.

Mcnabb is not nothing but another opinion. I don't put any more weught on his opinion than I do any other player.

As of right now, there isn't anything to judge.
Since it's before the draft, I am going to patiently wait for the draft, and phase two of free agency before I even begin to make assessments.

I'm willing to bet that come training camp, Mcnabbs words will he pretty meaningless.

#227 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

WRs will face 1 on 1 coverage just the same when a 2nd TE has to be accounted for....  

#228 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

He was probably drunk

ktvk-mcnabb-mug.jpg

http://www.csnphilly...d-jail-thursday