#1 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

http://espn.go.com/m...a-danny-manning

Wake Forest has agreed to a deal with Tulsa's Danny Manning for him to become the Demon Deacons' coach, the school announced Friday.

"I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest," he said in a statement. "I am extremely humbled by this honor and look forward to being the head coach and competing for championships both on and off the court."

Manning, who has spent the past two seasons with the Golden Hurricane, visited the Winston-Salem campus Wednesday after meeting with Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman earlier in the week in Indianapolis.

"We are very pleased to welcome Danny Manning to Wake Forest," Wellman said in a release. "There have been very few players who have had as much success on the court as Danny. He has played for and worked under a number of legendary coaches and he has been successful in his coaching career. We fully expect that Danny's coaching career will reflect the excellence of his playing career."

There will be a news conference next week to introduce Manning.

He will replace Jeff Bzdelik, who was forced to resign after four forgettable seasons at Wake Forest. Bzdelik was 51-76 overall and 17-51 in ACC play.

Manning, 47, was the top pick in the 1988 NBA draft. He played 15 seasons in the league, then joined Bill Self's staff at Kansas, where he was an assistant from 2006 to 2012.

He was hired by Tulsa in 2012 and led the Golden Hurricane to a 17-16 mark and an appearance in the CBI that season despite having the program's top two players, Jordan Clarkson and Eric McClellan, transfer.

Tulsa finished 21-13 this season and tied for first in Conference USA with a 13-3 mark. The Golden Hurricane lost to UCLA in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Manning attended high school in North Carolina.

#2 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Not the homerun hire but I expect it will be a very good one.  Should be able to recruit and he is a winner.

Apparently the big holdup on this deal was Manning was requesting that WFU lower their admissions requirements for student athletes.  I can only imagine that was a problem for other potential coaches as well.  

#3 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

I think it is a good hire. I think they overpaid for him if the $2.4 million figure is accurate, but still a good hire IMO.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I just want to say that I called both coaches, basketball and football would be out this past season.

not that is was a hard call.

still

called it!

#5 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I think it is a good hire. I think they overpaid for him if the $2.4 million figure is accurate, but still a good hire IMO.

That number seems high, I agree, but it also appears that is the number that all ACC coaches are going to get with the new TV deal. 

#6 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Being a Wake fan love the hire. Bzdelik couldn't win outside of winston salem.

#7 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

That number seems high, I agree, but it also appears that is the number that all ACC coaches are going to get with the new TV deal. 

Makes it that much harder for the little guy to hold onto their coach.

When a small school like Wake with decent, but unremarkable basketball history can throw $2.4 million/yr at a coach, if you're from a non-power conference school, you have little chance to ever hold onto your coach. 

#8 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Makes it that much harder for the little guy to hold onto their coach.

When a small school like Wake with decent, but unremarkable basketball history can throw $2.4 million/yr at a coach, if you're from a non-power conference school, you have little chance to ever hold onto your coach.

I dunno. Shaka continues to stay at VCU and Marshall is still at Wichita St. Tulsa offered Manning north of a mil and it's not like manning needs the money anyways.

Manning is a competitor and going to wake definitely increases the competition level.

#9 BigBoss

BigBoss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think a very good hire for Wake. Very good.

#10 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

I dunno. Shaka continues to stay at VCU and Marshall is still at Wichita St. Tulsa offered Manning north of a mil and it's not like manning needs the money anyways.

Manning is a competitor and going to wake definitely increases the competition level.

They're still the exception though and not the rule. It is easier to keep a coach around if you are a little guy that has a decent sized fan base and you have a lot of guys returning to your team following a successful season. Coaches with a good returning core at a school they know can pay them 7 figures if necessary would be foolish to leave for a train wreck of a program in a major conference with little hope of turning things around in 2-3 years.

#11 Rise of The Hive

Rise of The Hive

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

I think a big name like him with ties to NC can do big things. Wake is a sleeping giant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.