• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#76 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Marriage is a not a right, it is a privilege. Driving is a privilege, not a right etc. People should know the difference between rights and privileges.

Pursuit of happiness be damned

#77 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

If you are the CEO of a company don't make donations to controversial political entities, since it could piss off a lot of customers.

#78 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Lol boostownsme just get the fug out of the thread

#79 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Usually you earn a privilege. Is it considered "earning" when you have a penis and the person you want to marry has a vagina?

#80 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

Usually you earn a privilege. Is it considered "earning" when you have a penis and the person you want to marry has a vagina?

Yep

Just like how the acquisition of a driver's license hinges on whether you're gay or straight as well.

#81 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Marriage is a not a right, it is a privilege. Driving is a privilege, not a right etc. People should know the difference between rights and privileges.

According to the Supreme Court I believe that is incorrect. If i recall (i will have to look it up again) when they ruled on interracial marriage in their ruling they explicitly said that marriage is a right.

#82 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

And I have said before that I disagree with some of the Supreme Court rulings and think that they were wrong.  But I also concede that unless it is overruled by another case it is considered to be constitutionally the law.  So it is considered a right until it is ruled otherwise.

#83 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

http://www.afer.org/...damental-right/

Myer v. Nebraska: The right “to marry, establish a home and bring up children” is a central part of liberty protected by the Due Process Clause.

Zedbloki v Redhail: [T]he right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individuals.”

M.L.B. v S.L.J. “Choices about marriage, family life, and the upbringing of children are among associational rights this Court has ranked as ‘of basic importance in our society,’ rights sheltered by the Fourteenth Amendment against the State’s unwarranted usurpation,

Etc...

So... What'll it be? Concede the point, desparate spin, or just slink out of the thread & pretend it didn't happen?

#84 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, it was Loving vs. Virginia.  It was a unanimous ruling and the ruling stated:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man"

So by constitutional definition, preventing someone to marry is literally taking away someone's "basic civil rights"

http://en.wikipedia....ing_v._Virginia

#85 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Pursuit of happiness be damned

Sarcasm noted however... the states where the majority of people voted to keep marriage traditional, does there pursuit of happiness not count? When a federal judge overturns their majority vote, does it violate their constitutional right to their pursuit?

#86 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

How is their pursuit of happiness bring infringed?

Sarcasm noted however... the states where the majority of people voted to keep marriage traditional, does there pursuit of happiness not count? When a federal judge overturns their majority vote, does it violate their constitutional right to their pursuit?

#87 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Majority does not equal morality

#88 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

I thought we were arguing rights not morality?

#89 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Lol boostownsme just get the fug out of the thread

Adult contribution to thread noted

#90 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Considering I'm more adult than you'll ever dream of being, don't take my contribution so sarcastically

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com