Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

This year's Aaron Rodgers?

74 posts in this topic

This is a move a dysfunctional franchise would make.

We have Cams 5th year option and can franchise him twice before his CAP number would become astronomical. You build around a young franchise QB. You don't think about replacing him.

If Cam decides that he does want to leave, we have leverage. Until it's an issue, it's a non-issue.

I'd agree...with one caveat.  Franchising a QB takes up a load of salary cap.

Is it wise to give your team a fallback option?

I'd agree...with one caveat. Franchising a QB takes up a load of salary cap.

Is it wise to give your team a fallback option?

You mean a threat? If you want to try to keep Cam you shouldn't make a power play like drafting a QB in round 1 after gutting his WR core and his left tackle retires. At that point you MAKE him want to leave. You try to build around him and hope for the best. This QB class isn't great anyway. If we had to try to get a QB in round 1 next year I'd rather do that. Better class and a better understanding of the circumstances of Cams future.

1 person likes this

You mean a threat? If you want to try to keep Cam you shouldn't make a power play like drafting a QB in round 1 after gutting his WR core and his left tackle retires. At that point you MAKE him want to leave. You try to build around him and hope for the best. This QB class isn't great anyway. If we had to try to get a QB in round 1 next year I'd rather do that. Better class and a better understanding of the circumstances of Cams future.

i wouldn't call him a threat.  You have to do what's best for the team overall, and that includes planning for what happens if, say,  Newton gets injured or some such.

There is some logic to the idea.

But realistically, not enough logic that I could actually see it happening.

(or ultimately even support the notion that it should)

i wouldn't call him a threat. You have to do what's best for the team overall, and that includes planning for what happens if, say, Newton gets injured or some such.

There is some logic to the idea.

But realistically, not enough logic that I could actually see it happening.

(or ultimately even support the notion that it should)

Why plan for something that will likely never materialize? If we were to take Bridgewater I would see it as an indication that Cam has told management that he doesn't want to be here. And in that case, I would hope they would be smarter and trade him for three 1st round and two 2nd round picks with at least one of the firsts being in the top 5. I'd take the Accorsi stance with Elway on this one.

Why plan for something that will likely never materialize? If we were to take Bridgewater I would see it as an indication that Cam has told management that he doesn't want to be here. And in that case, I would hope they would be smarter and trade him for three 1st round and two 2nd round picks with at least one of the firsts being in the top 5. I'd take the Accorsi stance with Elway on this one.

Because anything can happen, and all too often does.

Pretty sure the Vikings didn't plan for Daunte Culpepper getting his knee ripped apart back in 05.  And Lord knows the Panthers didn't foresee Rae Carruth getting involved in a murder plot. 

There are many examples of "holy crap" moments in the league.  When you run an NFL team, ya gotta be ready for anything.

Again, I wouldn't do it.  We've got way too  much in the area of immediate needs to use a first round pick on a "what if" player.

But if they did, I could kind of understand why.

The most recent cnnsi mock had Jacksonville taking Sammy Watkins at 3. If Teddy is there at 28, work out a [email protected] deal involving Justin Blackmon and their 2nd!!!

They draft him, and Cam forces a trade. I can guarantee it.

As for how likely it would be for us taking him? Zero X Infinity.

They draft him, and Cam forces a trade. I can guarantee it.

Cam has almost no leverage here.  He will be the QB here as long as management wants him to be.

No lie: I had a dream Rodgers was arrested during a major meth bust. I woke up at 3 am to check the huddle. Just a dream.

1 person likes this