• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

The most recent cnnsi mock had Jacksonville taking Sammy Watkins at 3. If Teddy is there at 28, work out a d@mn deal involving Justin Blackmon and their 2nd!!!

#17 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

They draft him, and Cam forces a trade. I can guarantee it.

#18 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

As for how likely it would be for us taking him? Zero X Infinity.

#19 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

They draft him, and Cam forces a trade. I can guarantee it.

Cam has almost no leverage here.  He will be the QB here as long as management wants him to be.

#20 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

No lie: I had a dream Rodgers was arrested during a major meth bust. I woke up at 3 am to check the huddle. Just a dream.

#21 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,584 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I can't remember the last time I saw a potential top ten pick have as rough a pre-draft season as Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater seems to be having right now.

Bridgewater chose to sit out most of the combine drills (except the broad jump).  There was some criticism, but QBs not doing combine drills in favor of better conditions at home "pro days" is not that unusual.

Only Bridgewater's pro day wasn't so favorable.  By all accounts he had what could best be called a "shaky" performance.  Still okay though, because such things can be salvaged via individual workouts with teams that are interested.  Right?

Er...Maybe not :unsure:

Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter have both reported that Bridgewater's individual workouts haven't gone all that well either.  As a result, Bridgewater is now sliding down a lot of draft boards, and may also slide when May 8th rolls around.

Anyone who watched one of his college games  knows the kid can quarterback.  He can read defenses, he's an accurate passer, he's a leader and he's calm under pressure.  Pretty much all  of the concerns teams have had about Bridgewater have been physical.  Some have questioned whether or not his body can take the pounding an NFL quarterback - especially a young one on a bad team - often takes.  There were also doubts regarding the level of competition he faced in college, though most of those seem to have been quieted.

The question becomes whether teams will put more value on the game film or the workouts.

So supposing Bridgewater experiences an Aaron Rodger's type slide in the draft and falls all the way out of the top ten - and maybe further - who do you think stops that slide?

And if he falls all the way to 28, given Newton's contract situation, how probable would it be to see the Panthers taking him?

You have gone and done it now! 

#22 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,565 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

You have gone and done it now! 

Nah, not really.  If I had started a thread saying "we should draft Bridgewater and dump Newton" then I would have 'gone and done it'.

(I think some nimrod actually did start a thread like that some time back)

Like most of my threads, I'm asking for opinions, not making suggestions.  I prefer to ask others for their ideas first and then respond with my own thoughts later.  That way I can ask questions and/or make points on either side to move the topic along.  

To me, going this route makes for better discussion than the "all right here's what I think; now everybody react to it" type of thread.

#23 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,520 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'd agree...with one caveat. Franchising a QB takes up a load of salary cap.

Is it wise to give your team a fallback option?

Fall back option is a long term deal. You do not allow franchise QBs to walk, unless they are older then 34 or you got a young stud behind him.

#24 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,565 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Bridgewater's agent responds to the story (PFT)

#25 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

I wouldn't mind taking a QB for those same reasons (fallback option, Anderson won't be here forever, etc), but Id wait and take a QB in te sixth-seventh round. No way id take one at 28.

Besides, espn would have a field day with that if we took him thinking that Gettleman is giving up on cam, etc.

#26 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,884 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Bridgewater, Kelvin Benjamin...all the smokescreens are in full effect at this time so teams can get a guy to hopefully slide to them.

I would not be suprised to see us trade out of our day one pick bc so many teams would be getting back in for a QB like Gorrapalo or if Carr slides bc the day 2 top 5 teams might still be looking for a QB. Id rather have two seconds that pick so late in the first. Especially if Marquise Lee, Brandon Cooks, Benjamin are gone by our pick.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,565 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Bridgewater, Kelvin Benjamin...all the smokescreens are in full effect at this time so teams can get a guy to hopefully slide to them.

I would not be suprised to see us trade out of our day one pick bc so many teams would be getting back in for a QB like Gorrapalo or if Carr slides bc the day 2 top 5 teams might still be looking for a QB. Id rather have two seconds that pick so late in the first. Especially if Marquise Lee, Brandon Cooks, Benjamin are gone by our pick.

I get the logic, but we know from his own words that Gettleman isn't a big fan of trading back.

#28 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Cam is still a panther until 2017 at least if we want him to. No way we take bridgewater at 28 and cam is worlds better then bridgewater. He isn't even the best qb in his class

#29 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,861 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

negative infinity percent

#30 updownsigma

updownsigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think since the NFL's shift to a passing league, we're going to see a lot more Lockers and Ponders than Rodgers going forward. I.e. teams reaching for a guy who should be a late 1st rounder in the top 15 rather than letting a potential franchise QB slide. Teams have always been desperate for franchise QBs, but guys like Cam and Luck (and to a lesser extent, RGIII lol) have shown that a talented enough QB can come in to a bad team and produce right away.

tl;dr Bridgewater wont be there when we pick

As for us getting a rookie QB for when Anderson eventually leaves, I like Logan Thomas either in the 7th or as an UDFA...he won't have the same plug-and-play ability that makes Anderson valuable, but then again pretty much no rookie QB available after the 1st round would...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.