• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

A bit slow, but a fan asks the question again, and I kinda like Newton's way of looking at the issue.  Dead Horse?  maybe, but it is the off season.

http://espn.go.com/b...that-bell-at-lt

#2 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

I trust Gettleman. Like Newton said these guys know more about football than we likely ever will.

DG believes the line of scrimmage is of the utmost importance, he showed it last April with 3 LOS players in the draft. He'll prove it again this year.

I've become a huge David Newton fan.

#3 Jump Zone

Jump Zone

Formerly FelineFANatic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

I have a fever and there is only one cure...more cow bell.

#4 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

I trust Gettleman. Like Newton said these guys know more about football than we likely ever will.

DG believes the line of scrimmage is of the utmost importance, he showed it last April with 3 LOS players in the draft. He'll prove it again this year.

I've become a huge David Newton fan.

it's not rocket science. You witness it in college every week. The biggest difference between mid majors and BCS conferences are the players on the offensive and defensive lines. If you can hold your own in that regard, you will play tight. Witnessed by Appalachian being down only 17-7 to UGA at halftime last season. They also beat Michigan because the offensive line matched up well with the defensive front of Michigan.

If Cam doesn't have time to find his man(in time- Ted Ginn streaking down the sideline on a sack he took late in the game against San Fram comes to mind) then we will be abysmal against teams with solid fronts again.

#5 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

THAT TITLE WAS SO HUMOROUS BECAUSE OF THAT ONE SNL SKIT OMG LMAOOOOOOOOO MY ASS IS OFF WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING O

#6 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

But hey look it's SCP

#7 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,435 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

THAT TITLE WAS SO HUMOROUS BECAUSE OF THAT ONE SNL SKIT OMG LMAOOOOOOOOO MY ASS IS OFF WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING O

Don't be a dick, child.

You can never have enough cow bell and Idc what your hipster bitchass says

:-)

#8 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,733 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

guy has us down for 8 wins......      i dont like him

#9 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Only thing he said was that Godfrey Isis not 4 million better than DeCoud. I agree

#10 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Let's suppose for a moment that the front office actually didn't believe in Bell.

What would people expect them to say publicly?

"We have confidence in him" or "OMG WE'RE SCREWED WE'RE GONNA GET KILLED THIS YEAR CAM WILL NEVER SURVIVE!!!" :blink:

Does the team leadership really believe in him like they say they do?  No idea.

But the one thing I do know is that if they didn't, you sure as heck wouldn't hear about it.

#11 panthers90

panthers90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

The thing is he won't necessarily be worse. If I recall correctly, most of the opposing teams' best pass rushers would move so they were lined up against Bell anyways.

#12 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

The thing is he won't necessarily be worse. If I recall correctly, most of the opposing teams' best pass rushers would move so they were lined up against Bell anyways.

Maybe so but but he would now be on Cam's blind side

#13 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

But hey look it's SCP

I noticed that

#14 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

I also posted this in the Morgan Moses thread.

Below is a very good article regarding tackles.( A must read) from PFF with stats to support.I have also pasted the summary or the article for those of you who hate to read

Final Word

There’s a lot to digest here, but it can be summed up rather quickly. The right tackle should no longer be viewed as the athletic inferior to the left tackle and teams should change their team-building strategy to make this happen. Today’s passing NFL makes it a necessity to have two competent pass protectors on the edge and when scouting players, if a tackle is deemed to not be good enough to play left tackle, well you’re better off just putting him at guard rather than exploiting him at right tackle. There’s no hiding — defensive coordinators will find him.

https://www.profootb...s-overvalued/2/    

The article also illustrates why we chose to invest the tag on Hardy. When teams have an elite LT and a not so good RT DCs will exploit that or expose them if they have two elite pass rushers. 

My final observation is that we need two tackles and the moving Bell to the left side does not really accomplish much.

#15 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

I think we draft a future LT.  1st round.   I also believe that OTA/Mini Camps/Training Camp starts with Bell on the left side.  It will be his position to lose.   If no one beats him out then Rivera and Gettleman's belief that he will be better on the left side than the right is true.    If he loses it don't be surprised if he loses both positions and ends up 2nd string LT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com