Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

where's Ricky? FSU

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Vinny Cerrato, former Washington Redskins GM from 2002-2009 under Dan Snyder:

On the Wide Receiver Crop: "If Odell Beckham Jr. was there, I like him a lot, but I don’t think he’ll be there. The Panthers could be picking the 6th or 7th wide receiver. Brandin Cooks, if he was there, I like him. Benjamin scares me. Apparently he has off the field issues and a low score, that scares me.

If a guy gets a low (Wunderlic) score, it raises a red flag, it doesn’t eliminate him, but it makes me want to send my QB coach and offensive coordinator to spend time with them."

1 person likes this

Posted

Vinny Cerrato, former Washington Redskins GM from 2002-2009 under Dan Snyder:

On the Wide Receiver Crop: "If Odell Beckham Jr. was there, I like him a lot, but I don’t think he’ll be there. The Panthers could be picking the 6th or 7th wide receiver. Brandin Cooks, if he was there, I like him. Benjamin scares me. Apparently he has off the field issues and a low score, that scares me.

If a guy gets a low (Wunderlic) score, it raises a red flag, it doesn’t eliminate him, but it makes me want to send my QB coach and offensive coordinator to spend time with them."

Why would he want to send the QB coach to spend time with a WR prospect?  Was that quote still directed toward KB?

Just did a little wikipedia research on Cerrato's WR selections.  Hurney would laugh at them.

2002:  Cliff Russell, 3rd round

Career stats:  5 catches for 45 yards and 0 TDs

2003:  Taylor Jacobs, 2nd round

Career stats:  37 catches for 384 yards and 2 TDs

2008:  Devin Thomas, 2nd round

Career stats:  43 catches for 482 yards and 3 TDs

Malcolm Kelly, 2nd round

Career stats:  28 catches for 365 yards and 0 TDS

That is FOUR 2nd or 3rd round WR picks who combined for a grand total of 113 catches for 1276 yards and 5 TDs in their CAREERS.  That isn't what they produced for the Redskins, those figures would be considerably less.  Steve Smith had better seasons than those guys' combined careers.  It is VERY fair to say that this guy doesn't know jack poo about evaluating NFL WR prospects.

Posted

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis:

"Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are, in a lot of ways, the same guy," Davis told 93.7 The Fan.

"But, I do know that a number of scouts and personnel people like Evans a lot better really for this reason – he doesn’t weigh over 240 pounds, 240 pound receivers scare the heck out of NFL personnel people because when you do your studies, and you go back and look, name the 240 pound receiver that was – forget All-Pro- that was productive over a period of time. They just really haven’t. He’s not out there."

Posted

"Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are, in a lot of ways, the same guy," Davis told 93.7 The Fan.

"But, I do know that a number of scouts and personnel people like Evans a lot better really for this reason – he doesn’t weigh over 240 pounds, 240 pound receivers scare the heck out of NFL personnel people because when you do your studies, and you go back and look, name the 240 pound receiver that was – forget All-Pro- that was productive over a period of time. They just really haven’t. He’s not out there."

Yep, that's my exact concern.  Calvin Johnson is essentially the same size.  He's listed at 236, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's 240+.  But again, he's a freak.

When you look at KB's measurements and times, they scream elite NFL TE.  They don't scream WR.

Posted

last month, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and six other staff members worked out Kelvin Benjamin. One of the Patriots coaches threw to Benjamin during the workout.

Rotoworld: "This is quite the audience for a pre-draft workout"

Posted

last month, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and six other staff members worked out Kelvin Benjamin. One of the Patriots coaches threw to Benjamin during the workout.

Rotoworld: "This is quite the audience for a pre-draft workout"

Well, the Pats do love TEs...

Posted

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin will be selected between the No. 12 and 20 picks, according to one NFL scout.

"He really came on the scene this year. He can extend to make a lot of grabs. His route-running is raw," the scout added.

Posted

NFL Films' Greg Cosell prefers Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin to Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

"I thought that he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell said. "I thought that Benjamin brought a lot of the same attributes to the table as Evans, but I thought he was just a little more athletic." Cosell believes Benjamin runs faster than his 40 time.

"You want to see a burst when the ball is in the air," Cosell said, mentioning Jerry Rice as one example of a WR who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash in shorts but appeared far faster once donned in pads.

Posted

ESPN's Kevin Weidl called Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin's tape against Florida "absolutely dominant."

"Showcased his entire skill set," Weidl wrote. "He's a power forward in pads."

Benjamin lit up the Gators' defense for 212 yards and three touchdowns on nine catches

Florida's pass D last season:

#2 in NCAA, #1 in SEC - fewest passing TDs allowed

#5 in NCAA, #1 in SEC - lowest comp pct allowed

#7 in NCAA, #1 in SEC - fewest passing ypg allowed

#8 in NCAA, #1 in SEC - pass efficiency D

Posted

Deangelo Williams is still shocked.

Posted

When watching Benjamin's game tape I felt the best WR on the field wasn't him but Rashad Greene.

Posted

It's funny that people knock Benjamin for maybe skipping a private workout but the big story right now is how all these private workouts are really tiring out these prospects. Just something to chew on.

1 person likes this