gettlemanjack

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis:
"Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are, in a lot of ways, the same guy,"

NFL.com's Charles Davis called Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin a "matchup nightmare." Duke coach David Cutcliffe might have said it best when he called him 'a monster'

#47 gettlemanjack

gettlemanjack

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah on Kelvin:
"His combination of size and athleticism is rare, but I was most impressed with his ball skills"

Rotoworld: "Benjamin is criminally under-discussed...he dominates at the catch point, a vital skill at the next level... Few are better at the catch point than Benjamin, who turns 23 in February. However, don't overlook his strength to pick up yards after the catch."

#48 WOW!!

WOW!!

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

I love KB's potential the age thing worries me but the size weight ratio compared to the guys who have to defend against him. Puts a smile on my face.

My best comparison is a more athletic Plax Burris.

#49 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,638 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I'm laughing at some of the things being posted about KB on this board. Dude will be a beast.

#50 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

I love KB's potential the age thing worries me but the size weight ratio compared to the guys who have to defend against him. Puts a smile on my face.

My best comparison is a more athletic Plax Burris.

Plaxico Burris... okay, yeah. I can see that comparison.

#51 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

I say, if KB is there at 28, you gotz to take him. Get him a playbook, and find out what plays he does well, and what plays he needs help with. Run the plays he does well, practice the plays he needs work on. Build him up quickly, with minimum amount of pressure.

Would also send the message that we truly are cereal about the WR position. I can live with that.

That said. The kid we get at 28 is going to have talent. So even if it isn't KB, he should still make us a better team. As should the 2nd, 3rd, and hopefully 4th rounders.

In the past, sitting in this situation, going into the draft, we would hope to not just screw it up too badly. The anxiety was over perceived mistakes not yet made. Now...there is still worry for mistakes not yet made, but, in general, there is far less anxiety.

tl/dr version. If Gman hits this draft as well as he hit last years draft. We gotz this.

#52 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Gettleman will obviously be the one who makes the final decision, but it's been noted numerous times that DG likes to get everyone's opinion. He's now pretty notoriously collaborative (which I think is a great thing) and you better believe DG will ask Ricky for his thoughts if there's a decent WR option available to us as our pick nears.

I may be wrong, but I have it in my head that Gman claims to only be good for the first 3-4 rounds. After that he needs input from others to make an inform pick. So I would think Ricky would be a big part of the process. Not sure about the "War Room", but he is top dog where it comes to WR. So yeah. He involved.

Then again. It is his job to coach, not make decisions. So...

#53 gettlemanjack

gettlemanjack

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

Kevlin B!

Kevlin B!!

Kevlin B!!!

#54 TimTom

TimTom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

I say, if KB is there at 28, you gotz to take him. Get him a playbook, and find out what plays he does well, and what plays he needs help with. Run the plays he does well, practice the plays he needs work on. Build him up quickly, with minimum amount of pressure.

Would also send the message that we truly are cereal about the WR position. I can live with that.

That said. The kid we get at 28 is going to have talent. So even if it isn't KB, he should still make us a better team. As should the 2nd, 3rd, and hopefully 4th rounders.

In the past, sitting in this situation, going into the draft, we would hope to not just screw it up too badly. The anxiety was over perceived mistakes not yet made. Now...there is still worry for mistakes not yet made, but, in general, there is far less anxiety.

tl/dr version. If Gman hits this draft as well as he hit last years draft. We gotz this.

Looks like I posted in the wrong thread.  We wrote a pretty similar post...

Kelvin Benjamin should be a BEAST.  I'm not gonna say Megatron, but that's who he reminds me of when I look at video of him. He's so damn big, yet still makes it to the throws, still leaps and streaks down the field in no way a man that size should be able to.  Some people on here keep talking about suspect hands.  Jameis Winston was throwing to him with no eyes.  He did catch a pretty big one under the toughest pressure imaginable, IIRC.  Give him some OT on the jugs machine and put someone like Ricky Proehl on his ass.  Oh and the route tree thing.  Blah, blah.  He's 6'5"!!  That's the point with athletes like Cam and him.  The new NFL passing game/rules has rendered the old game almost obsolete.  Oh, and a child could learn a standard route tree.  It's taught at almost the lowest levels and nothing in the pros changes a curl, quick out, skinny post, drag, etc.  Only the pressure and work put in by other grown men holds others back.  So again, it would come down to work ethic and hunger.  He's 23.  Give him 2 seasons and by 25/26, I'd say watch the fug out NFL.

tl;dr -- If we go WR at 28 and either he or Cooks fall there, I'd flip a coin.  That being said, if a starting LT somehow drops to us, everything I just typed would be rendered moot.

#55 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,602 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Kelvin Benjamin is not as raw as some think. he red shirted his freshman year, due to not knowing Jimbo pro offense. his routes are not as crisp at times, but he does run some good vertical routes. plus he will block out DBs on short routes and will get physical in the routes and run game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com