90 replies to this topic

#16 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

Yeah Being at Duke really hurt big men like Brand, Williams, or any of the Plumlees.

Sheldon goes to any other school doesn't become a top 5 pick.

Miles goes to any other school and he doesn't get drafted.

I know your comment was supposed to show how the program helps good bigs but it really does the opposite.

The Plumlees were almost certainly hurt spending all that time in the Duke system (Miles has looked really good for a late 1st round pick this year even though duke made him look like a complete stiff, and Mason is showing a lot of promise).

You've basically got 2 success stories from the last 15 years of duke big men? Not to mention guys like Mcroberts, Boozer, and Shavlik Randolph who dropped to the 2nd round

#17 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

I know your comment was supposed to show how the program helps good bigs but it really does the opposite.

The Plumlees were almost certainly hurt spending all that time in the Duke system (Miles has looked really good for a late 1st round pick this year even though duke made him look like a complete stiff, and Mason is showing a lot of promise).

You've basically got 2 success stories from the last 15 years of duke big men? Not to mention guys like Mcroberts, Boozer, and Shavlik Randolph who dropped to the 2nd round

Elton Brand had a nice '99 season - but he was smart enough to GTFO of there after two years. 

#18 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Stupidest poo ever.

Miles was a nobody transfers before he came to Duke.

Mason had no post game his Freshman year. He ended being the post present and the player we ran our offense thru his senior year.

Sheldon wasn't even a highly recruited player coming out of high school and ended up being drafted higher then MAY, Hansbro, Wright and Henson??? Actually when was the last time UNC had a big man go top 5?? Such a big man university Rasheed was the last one drafted in the top 5.
Maybe you should check your house before running your mouth.

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

How many success stories does unc have with big men in the last 15 years?  Plus what's a success story?  Is it getting drafted in the first round?  Is it winning a title in college? Is it still being in the NBA?  

As far as McBob and Shav they were soft bigs like JMM who left too early.  They needed to stay and develop their games some more but if McBob didn't get along with K then so be it, not every kid you recruit ends up working out.  That's why you see kids leave early or transfer.  As far as Boozer goes it's not anybody at Duke's fault that he fell to the 2nd round, the guy averaged 18ppg and 9rpg his final year at Duke and was 1st in FG%, 1st in rebounding, and 2nd in scoring.  Blame the NBA scouts for that one because I am sure a lot of them would like to take back that pick and replace it with Boozer.  

#20 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

Stupidest poo ever.

Miles was a nobody transfers before he came to Duke.

Mason had no post game his Freshman year. He ended being the post present and the player we ran our offense thru his senior year.

Sheldon wasn't even a highly recruited player coming out of high school and ended up being drafted higher then MAY, Hansbro, Wright and Henson??? Actually when was the last time UNC had a big man go top 5?? Such a big man university Rasheed was the last one drafted in the top 5.
Maybe you should check your house before running your mouth.

Wel the difference is I didnt come in here and claim UNC was great at producing big men.

Duke's offense (particularity the last few 3 point filled years) does a bad job at showcasing their big men.  Miles is a great example of this- he looked like a complete stiff for 4 years at duke, goes to the NBA and immediately starts looking competent.

And Sheldon Williams was not highly recruited coming out of high school?  Hahaha did you just make up some poo and hope nobody would bother looking it up to call you out?

http://www.dukechron...helden-williams

He is rated the fifth-best prospect in the country by Prep Stars

The Sporting News lists Williams as the No. 1 power forward in his class.

Speaking of the stupidest poo ever...

#21 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Wel the difference is I didnt come in here and claim UNC was great at producing big men.

Duke's offense (particularity the last few 3 point filled years) does a bad job at showcasing their big men. Miles is a great example of this- he looked like a complete stiff for 4 years at duke, goes to the NBA and immediately starts looking competent.

And Sheldon Williams was not highly recruited coming out of high school? Hahaha did you just make up some poo and hope nobody would bother looking it up to call you out?

Shows how stupid you are because this thread was made to bash K for his big man progression.

You obviously don't know poo about basketball or haven't watched Miles play in the pros.
So I would love for you to watch a Suns game and explain to me what is Miles doing different then he was in college?
Since I actually watch basketball he seem to be the same athletic pick and pop player he was at Duke and still setting a lot of screens for jump shooters. Like he did at Duke. And he still isn't a post threat like he wasn't at Duke. So don't make it seem like he is becoming a star in the league when he is doing the same "big stiff" things he did at Duke.

Last Before Sheldon signed at Duke he was a 2 to 3 star recruit. When he committed to Duke is when his rating raised. Like it does with most players who commit to a big time program.

Still JMM, Brandon wright, Henson, May, Ed Davis all rated higher then him coming out of High school but none were drafted top 5 like he was.

So again before Tarhole fans throw stones they need to check their house 1st. .

#22 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Duke's offense (particularity the last few 3 point filled years) does a bad job at showcasing their big men.  Miles is a great example of this- he looked like a complete stiff for 4 years at duke, goes to the NBA and immediately starts looking competent.

And Sheldon Williams was not highly recruited coming out of high school?  Hahaha did you just make up some poo and hope nobody would bother looking it up to call you out?

Really?  Miles was always very athletic but was never a back to the basket/post move scorer he got his points in transition and by working hard on the glass which is the exact same thing he does in the NBA.  BTW his averages for points and rebounds are the same in the NBA as they were at Duke.

#23 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Shows how stupid you are because this thread was made to bash K for his big man progression.

You obviously don't know poo about basketball or haven't watched Miles play in the pros.
So I would love for you to watch a Suns game and explain to me what is Miles doing different then he was in college?
Since I actually watch basketball he seem to be the same athletic pick and pop player he was at Duke and still setting a lot of screens for jump shooters. Like he did at Duke. And he still isn't a post threat like he wasn't at Duke. So don't make it seem like he is becoming a star in the league when he is doing the same "big stiff" things he did at Duke.

Last Before Sheldon signed at Duke he was a 2 to 3 star recruit. When he committed to Duke is when his rating raised. Like it does with most players who commit to a big time program.

Still JMM, Brandon wright, Henson, May, Ed Davis all rated higher then him coming out of High school but none were drafted top 5 like he was.

So again before Tarhole fans throw stones they need to check their house 1st. .

I agree with a lot of what you have said but this is not right.  Williams was the top player in Oklahoma and was the 3 rated PF behind Paul Davis and Chris Bosh, he was also down to four schools Duke, unc, Oklahoma, and Illinois.

#24 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

I agree with a lot of what you have said but this is not right. Williams was the top player in Oklahoma and was the 3 rated PF behind Paul Davis and Chris Bosh, he was also down to four schools Duke, unc, Oklahoma, and Illinois.

I could be wrong but I didn't think Sheldon was a big recruit at the time.
I do know he wasn't near the scorer he was coming into the program as he was leaving. His game definitely got better at Duke. And K definitely featured him a lot in his offense which helped his draft stock. So this whole thing about K and big man not progressing in his program is completely false.
Mcbob, and Shav were soft and that's why they didn't fulfill their potential.

#25 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Really?  Miles was always very athletic but was never a back to the basket/post move scorer he got his points in transition and by working hard on the glass which is the exact same thing he does in the NBA.  BTW his averages for points and rebounds are the same in the NBA as they were at Duke.

I mean I agree that he is doing the same things now that he was in college, but if anything he is doing them more effectively in the NBA (which is very rare for a guy 2 years out of college who went to school 4 years).

He's averaging 8 and 8 with a block in 24 minutes, which is actually better than his senior year at duke (though he only played 20 min/ game).  In terms of the NBA, where you're luck to get a good rotation player with a late 1st round pick, he is already outplaying his draft position.  Duke didnt do his draft stock any favors by playing him 20 minutes a game

Duke's system lately has been to put 4 shooters/ ball handlers on the floor at all times, and it limits the opportunities for their bigs to shine. 

#26 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

I mean I agree that he is doing the same things now that he was in college, but if anything he is doing them more effectively in the NBA (which is very rare for a guy 2 years out of college who went to school 4 years).

He's averaging 8 and 8 with a block in 24 minutes, which is actually better than his senior year at duke (though he only played 20 min/ game). In terms of the NBA, where you're luck to get a good rotation player with a late 1st round pick, he is already outplaying his draft position. Duke didnt do his draft stock any favors by playing him 20 minutes a game

Duke's system lately has been to put 4 shooters/ ball handlers on the floor at all times, and it limits the opportunities for their bigs to shine.

And he's doing the same thing in Phx now. Surrounded by shooters setting picks and getting dirty points.

Also you are wrong about the offense we ran last year with Mason. Where the ball would touch his hands in the post as much as any shooter on the outside. The offense actually ran thru Mason.

So again stop pushing your false Tarhole propaganda.

#27 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

And he's doing the same thing in Phx now. Surrounded by shooters setting picks and getting dirty points.

Yeah I know, I just said that

Also you are wrong about the offense we ran last year with Mason. Where the ball would touch his hands in the post as much as any shooter on the outside. The offense actually ran thru Mason.

Yeah, you passed it inside a bit more last year for a change. It only took until Mason's senior year to figure out he should get some touches. Even though he was hyped as a one-and-done player when you recruited him, or as you would call it, not a big time recruit.

Why dont you tell me again how nobody knew about Sheldon Williams until dook recruited him? lol

#28 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yeah I know, I just said that

Yeah, you passed it inside a bit more last year for a change. It only took until Mason's senior year to figure out he should get some touches. Even though he was hyped as a one-and-done player when you recruited him, or as you would call it, not a big time recruit.

Why dont you tell me again how nobody knew about Sheldon Williams until dook recruited him? lol

Why don't you tell me how JMM goes from top 5 pick to nothing after spending 3 Seasons at UNC??

Also it's pretty clear to most knowledgeable basketball fans. That it took Mason that long to develop a post game. Which again is a feather in K's cap. That a player with no post game as a freshman can develop into the focus of a inside to outside offense in his senior year.

#29 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Why don't you tell me how JMM goes from top 5 pick to nothing after spending 3 Seasons at UNC??

Also it's pretty clear to most knowledgeable basketball fans. That it took Mason that long to develop a post game. Which again is a feather in K's cap. That a player with no post game as a freshman can develop into the focus of a inside to outside offense in his senior year.

JMM was only considered a potential top 5 pick by people who dont understand how the NBA draft works

#30 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

zoubek and singler were 1 stars until K said so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.