Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Donte Moncrief has visited and worked out with Panthers

86 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

He won't be there for us in the 2nd, but Latimer is the guy to take in that sceanrio.  It's not close, IMO.

Agreed. Latimer is far superior and is getting first round buzz which i wouldn't mind.

Posted · Report post

Huge: 6'2  221lbs

77049981.jpg

Posted · Report post

You're citing stats without watching him play. My point is any mediocre QB can put up eye-popping stats. Who knows? Maybe Wallace will improve next season but he was very inconsistent and streaky when he needed to make anything beyond 15 yards.

Look at the leading receiver from last year (not Moncrief) and observe where he made all those catches.

I'm in total agreement with you. I think the issue here, however, is the fact that Moncrief is cited to be way better than advertised because he had the waterboy playing QB for him, and that just isn't true. Bo Wallace might not be Mariota level of good, but he is capable of doing something. Ole Miss also runs a spread offense, so you would expect a WR to put up way more numbers than you would normally see, but 800 yards isn't a lot.

I think Moncrief is a 3rd rounder. That's not a knock on him. He has flaws. There are better receivers than him. But, I think he is better than some of the other guys that we've checked out.

Posted · Report post

Moncrief's body-catching and catching radius are the biggest and perhaps the only flaws in his game. I'm not worried about his route-running since that can be worked on. His hands are far from fantastic (which is why he body catches) but once he has the ball in his hands he can virtually burn 90% of DBs. Donte is the type of WR that takes the top off a defense and fights for extra yardage with his big frame.

I don't see Moncrief as a good Slot Receiver since he'll be asked to make tough catches (a problem that could intensify with us since Cam throws lasers) but he could make a very, very good third option upon entering the league. Down the road, who knows? Donte could prove to be a solid number two.

Posted · Report post

how do you turn sigs back on because i want to see yours.

Go to settings, and then go to the "Ignore Preferences" tab. There should be a box that says

Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages. 

Just uncheck that box and your good to go

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm in total agreement with you. I think the issue here, however, is the fact that Moncrief is cited to be way better than advertised because he had the waterboy playing QB for him, and that just isn't true. Bo Wallace might not be Mariota level of good, but he is capable of doing something. Ole Miss also runs a spread offense, so you would expect a WR to put up way more numbers than you would normally see, but 800 yards isn't a lot.

I think Moncrief is a 3rd rounder. That's not a knock on him. He has flaws. There are better receivers than him. But, I think he is better than some of the other guys that we've checked out.

Oh I concede. There are better options outside Moncrief, and he has his flaws (his body catching worries me the most) but the kid has some playmaking abilities.

I'll give you that Wallace isn't a bottom-tier QB but that offense was a mess and his technique and mechanics need work this off-season. Granted, Moncrief's attributes and measurables could potentially blind some GMs (Oakland...) and he's getting more hype than he should. That said, Donte is someone who could make an impact. We'll see though. I'm done predicting who will be a stud.

Posted · Report post

Agreed. Latimer is far superior and is getting first round buzz which i wouldn't mind.

Which makes me believe he or both won't be there :/

Posted · Report post

couple other writers on Moncrief:

-"much development is still needed before he's capable of being a steady contributor in the NFL..misses a lot of catchable passes.... usually lets the ball come into his chest rather than catching away from his body. ... needs to focus on developing the fundamentals of running routes and putting himself in position"

-"I am worried about Donte Moncrief’s hand size (9.125 inches) and whether that might be a problem for him in the NFL.... his hands are the same size as both Greg Little and Darrius Heyward-Bey, who are notorious for being among the hardest working receivers when it comes to the JUGS machine and trying to correct their drop issues. They’ve both been unable to correct their problems.
pass-catching can be impacted by whether or not a player can catch the ball cleanly with his hands.
Being able to do that just makes their catch radius a lot bigger than if they have to body catch the ball. For instance, Stephen Hill only body catches the ball. Despite his 215 pound frame, he’s 0 for 12 in converting red zone targets into touchdowns."

Posted · Report post

Yes!

Posted · Report post

another writer:

Moncrief "he doesn’t make routine catches he usually should. Moncrief had a concerning amount of drops on passes which NFL receivers normally corral."

Posted · Report post

49ers blogger:

"I've seen nine games, a few times each, and while I admit that Moncrief is an athletic guy, I am not sure I'm as high on him as others. He really has a lot to work on...I'm just gonna come right out and say it...Moncrief does not have good hands. Some will argue and give a myriad of excuses as to why he drops passes, but there are plenty of well-placed footballs that he simply drops of his own volition. He loves to cradle the ball into his gut, often leaving his feet for passes unnecessarily. If he has to go up and get it with his hands, there's a decent chance it's going to hit the ground.
All-in-all I wouldn't be in favor of investing a first or even second round pick on Moncrief. The big plays are few and far between and it seems he has a long way to go - and who knows if he even can improve upon his hands"

If his hands are not that great, that's a huge concern for me, it reminds me of Donald.

Get Matthews.

Posted · Report post

Huge: 6'2  221lbs

77049981.jpg

If you catch only with your chest then whats the point of being huge? He is minimizing his catch radius and making it hard for the qb to throw him open. 

• Recent Comments