With the emergence of Mike Mitchell, Robert Lester, and Quentin Mikell we do not have need for Godfrey and here are the reasons.
1. At this point in time, there is zero justification for his contract.
2. Mitchell has blown one obvious assignment this season. That was the play over the top to Brian Quick in the St. Louis game. I only list this because the corner kept motioning that he was expecting help over the top.
3. Lester has made all of the pass plays designed to go right at him this year ala the first pass of the Cardinals game.
4. MIkell has played exceptional and helped bottle up two great TEs.
5. You can count on your hand the number of deep completions this entire year. Now think about the times you remember Godfrey being out of position and see if you can keep it under ten fingers.
6. Mcdermott talked about how complicated his scheme was and how he hasn't had to scale it back this year with this defense.
I believe like alot of Hurney's deals, we overpaid for Godfrey and he has not earned his contract. Most importantly, our defensive resurgence has happened without him and the mistakes are just not there like they were with him on the field.