Latest Panthers Topics
- same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB
- What would you do if John Fox and the Bears made the playoffs with Jimmy Clausen as QB?
- 5th Round DB Gems
- I am on Bre shad Perriman's bandwagon
- 49ers Waive OT Jonathan Martin
- The Captains - My Best Photo of the Year
- Notes, Quotes, and Video from ECU Pro Day
- Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera thinks Stephen Hill ready to help
- NFL Free Agency Update Thread
- Panthers worked out Randy Gregory
Missed kick? No big deal.
In fact, if Medlock had hit that 50 yarder, he would have tied the RECORD long by an NFL kicker!
Unlike Three Rivers, the playing surface at Heinz Field is natural grass. The field features underground heating to help the grass survive Pittsburgh's winter climate. As a result, the field is known for its difficult kicking surface; the only field goal over 50 yards was 51 yards, kicked by Pat McAfee of the West Virginia Mountaineers during the Backyard Brawl on November 16, 2006. The NFL record for kicking is just 50 yards, set by Jeff Reed in the 2006 season. In 2006, the NFL Players Association conducted a poll in which the grass at Heinz was selected as the worst grass field in the league.
So Medlock will be fine, just fine.