Latest Panthers Topics
- Colin Cole
- Who are the hidden gems on our roster?
- Who all remembers the Smash and Dash name controversy?
- NFL.com Ranks Cam as 12th Best QB
- Former Panther's prospect Keenan Allen... he dumb
- Gettlemen continues to get criticism for not bringing in a WR
- Carolina Panther card/memorbilla/auto's collectors...
- Rivera: Panthers' new offense will be more of a collaberative effort
- RE: Rivera/Fox's passive playcalls
- The offseason is gonna be getting longer
Charlotte Boudoir Photography
Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Tampa Boudoir Photography
Latest Bobcats Topics
- Looks like the Hornets are officially back!
- So why can the Pelicans name happen right away but Hornets take two years?
- This forum needs a mod
- Remember Me?
- Trade Scenario?
- More Names Being Thrown Around (Bobcats Coaching Search Thread)
- Bobcats/Hornets Interview Ben McLemore, Kelly Olynyk, Michael Carter-Williams, and Otto Porter At The Combine
- According to article Oden looks amazing. Worth shot?
- 2nd pick in the draft nets us 8th top rookie
- Who is your top Draft choice?
Breaking Down Steve Smith's Deal
I just got the complete details on the contract extension receiver Steve Smith signed with the Panthers on Tuesday and they’re very interesting on several levels. It’s a three-year deal with the team holding an option for the fourth year and could be worth as much as $37.8 million.
The deal includes $16.8 million in guaranteed money. Smith received a $10 million signing bonus and comes out way ahead on what he’ll earn in 2012. In addition to the signing bonus, he’ll also earn $1 million in base salary. Smith had been scheduled to earn $7.75 million in the final year of his contract. The new deal gives Smith more money, but he also frees up significant salary-cap room for the Panthers, who had less than $500,000 available before this deal.
Smith had been scheduled to count $10.7 million against the cap this year, but the new deal drops that figure to $5.96 million.
In 2013, Smith’s base salary will rise to $3.75 million and that’s guaranteed. Smith also will earn a guaranteed $4 million in base salary in 2014. That’s also the year he can collect a $3 million bonus if the Panthers elect to pick up his option for 2016.
In 2015, Smith is scheduled to make $7 million in base salary. If he gets to the option year, his base salary will rise to $9 million.
Decent deal imo.