It is July once again, which means Wimbledon is on TV. Whenever I see those tennis players on the grass court, I am reminded that Football season is once again just around the corner.
Here are a few tips for those that have not been to training camp before...
1. Yes, practices and parking are free. A schedule of the practices can be found here.
2. You will notice many evening practices this year, but the sun will still be brutal. Shade is at a premium on the hill that overlooks the practice field, get there early if you need to stay cooler.
3. Autographs are signed at the fence that is closest to the facilities. Players typically take the field about 30 minutes prior to the scheduled practice time. Children typically get first dibs on autographs, as it should be.
4. When you arrive, notice where the large lifts are with the video equipment on top. They are there to film the main practices. Whichever field they are pointing at will be the place where some of the best action of the day takes place.
5. The Beacon is a famous place to eat in Spartanburg, but from personal experience, be sure a restroom is near by. The Pizza Inn in Spartanburg is actually a 1980's time warp, the 3 inch skin on the pudding proves it.
6. Bring your camera! Pictures can be taken during practices.