Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneBadCat

Anyone else a little worried about DE?

I'm worried.  The success of our defense is predicated on pressure from our DEs.  CJ is proven but declining, whether it be from injuries, age, or simply not having Hardy across from him, he didn't look as good last year.  The "late season success" people like to mention seemed a lot more of a result of the poor competition to me.  I hope Ealy and Alexander can make large strides this year, but it's far from certain.  If they are the same or only marginally better we're in for a rough year.  I have absolutely zero expectations of Horton or Addison, they're average backups at best.

IF Ealy and Alexander step up their game, I think we're alright barring injuries.  Otherwise, it's going to be another middle of the pack year for us defensively.

And I do not understand how some elevate Kony Ealy into a starter spot.

Ealy is still the #5 DE on the depth chart.

1 Charles Johnson

2 Frank Alexander

3 Wes Horton

4 Mario Addison

5 Kony Ealy

Addison was the one who got the playing time against Seattle in the playoffs. Not Ealy.

Addison and Horton are garbage - average backups at best - and if they're starting again like they did to begin last year our defense is going to be bottom third of the league again like last year.

Every team in the league is in that boat.

Every team.

well of course if Peyton Manning gets hurt the Broncos are screwed

but if Cliff Avirl gets hurt the Seahawks will be alright

Looks like the Huddle arent giving Addison and Big Frank their due credit.

Its still Monsters inc. Frank is a devastating DE when hes on the same page as the rest of our DL.

Addison and Horton are garbage - average backups at best - and if they're starting again like they did to begin last year our defense is going to be bottom third of the league again like last year.

Horton is but I gotta disagree with Addison.  He's an above-average passing-down speed rusher that I think most 4-3s would like in a rotation.  A situational guy but that type is big in our rotation.  He's still here for a reason. 

Horton is but I gotta disagree with Addison. He's an above-average passing-down speed rusher that I think most 4-3s would like in a rotation. A situational guy but that type is big in our rotation. He's still here for a reason.

above average, with the rest of our line is nothing to scoff at.

...Hey, Everette Brown is a free agent and hes only 27...hear he as a fkin killer spin move..Oh, wait...

IMO safety seems to be the weak point of our defense right now. Though it is much better than having to rely on Nakamura and Godfrey. On Offense I want to immediately say O-Line, but I think 4 of the 5 positions are good to go. I'm actually more concerned about RB. If Stew misses time are Fozzy, CAP, or Tolbert able to carry the load? Hopefully we won't have to ask this question.

Without Greg Hardy and Frank Alexander, we were the #10 defense last year. Check the official NFL stats for yourself.

Frank Alexander is how we upgraded the DE position this year. Plus neither a rookie nor a free agent would have 2 years experience in the system already.

Funny how a lot of posters here scream to overlook drug problems with rookies or free agents, but they're dumping all over Frank instead of supporting him.

This is amusing coming from B. Bersin

Yes Luke.

OMG guys, what if Charles Johnson, Kony Ealy, and Frank Alexander all get hurt?!?!?

Seriously, what position wouldn't be hurt if you lost the top 2 or 3 players. Can't have probowlers at every position, let alone backups.

1 Charles Johnson

2 Frank Alexander

3 Wes Horton

4 Mario Addison

5 Kony Ealy

Addison was the one who got the playing time against Seattle in the playoffs. Not Ealy.

You can't cite the playoff game as the reason Addison is over Ealy when you have a player who wasn't even active for the game ranked second.

The only reason we think DE looks bad is because almost every other position (besides safety, and maybe LT) is stacked. I personally didn't care for the Mayo pick. I wish We would have gotten a safety or DE there, but Gman knows better than me. But I think we will at least be better at DE than last year.