Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nctarheel0619

A little trouble in paradise (Seattle)? RW contract talks

Most of the folks here defending Cam are just pointing out why he hasnt been as successful as Wilson and want to justify it.  As you noted they dont understand the business side of it and those excuses will be made by his agent but will carry little weight.  I think this year will go a long way to determining what happens with Cam and both sides know it.  I bet Gettleman is hoping that Cam has a fantastic year so when he does get the big bucks both sides will feel they have their guy for the next 6 or 7 years. But as you note, right now Cam would be top getting top 10 money not top 1 or 2 based on his results. 

Yeah, I understand that. My point is though...that our defense is pretty badass to say the least. And while we havent had a wonderful running game and dealt with injuries and less that stellar talent on the o-line, we are all hoping all of that turns around this year.

So then lets take some of these peoples argument and turn it around. Lets imagine we do win the superbowl this year. Can we justify paying cam LESS for the simple fact that a badass defense got us there? Our defense is the main reason we have been as competitive as we have been the last 2 seasons...so I would put forth that as great as Cam is and all the plays that he has made here in there, it was our DEFENSE that kept us in games and competitive as it were. Can any QB say they won a ring without the help of the team overall (which is basically what some are saying Wilson is lacking...poor guy played on a good team so poo on him)

So basically, instead of even remotely attempting to refute the information I provided you, instead you just go on to accuse me of not understanding your failed argument.

Great rebuttal p55. Thanks for that.

To be clear, I think this is and should be Newton's year. My main concern right now is left tackle. I don't like going into the season with the position being a bigger question mark now than it was at this point last year. We knew that Byron Bell was not starting LT material, but we had limited options. I'm just hoping that Oher is the player that our FO believes he is. Our season will depend on it.

There is nothing to rebutt.  No is arguing that many of the things you said may be true.  They wont matter in a negotiation over salary and contract.  Sure Cam's agent will bring it all up and Gettleman will just say he disagrees and the way these negotiations go is that they look at the bottom line.

You are talking apples and those of us talking contract are talking oranges.  That is what you dont get or you would stop making the same old excuses.  Dont tell why the rest of the team let him down or how he couldn't do it alone which is true, Dont tell me about lack of weapons or O line because that again wont carry much weight.  Tell me how he compares in bottom line stats or results that he deserves the same money that Wilson does right now.   That would include how many 4th quarter comebacks he has versus Wilson's combacks. Performance in playoffs and head to head match-ups.  Quality stats like TD to INT ratio, completion percentage, etc.  Rushing TDs.  ( I am trying to help you here)   There is an argument to be made that could carry weight but what you have talked about so far wouldnt carry much weight.

I dont mind discussing it if you can give me something that is germaine to what will be discussed in a contract discussion.

Yeah, I understand that. My point is though...that our defense is pretty badass to say the least. And while we havent had a wonderful running game and dealt with injuries and less that stellar talent on the o-line, we are all hoping all of that turns around this year.

So then lets take some of these peoples argument and turn it around. Lets imagine we do win the superbowl this year. Can we justify paying cam LESS for the simple fact that a badass defense got us there? Our defense is the main reason we have been as competitive as we have been the last 2 seasons...so I would put forth that as great as Cam is and all the plays that he has made here in there, it was our DEFENSE that kept us in games and competitive as it were. Can any QB say they won a ring without the help of the team overall (which is basically what some are saying Wilson is lacking...poor guy played on a good team so poo on him)

I am sure that the defense argument is something that the Seattle management is using in their discussions with Wilson. And Wilson is saying it was the offense and 4th quarter comebacks which made the difference.  Truth is that it was the New England defense that won that game after Wilson drove them down to the 1.  But yeah that is why these negotiations are not cut and dry. 

In no way is this good news for us bc Cam is gonna want every penny that RW gets and more. Which, he should. I'm sure he believes he is better than Wilson, which I think he is too.

I just wish players weren't so greedy this days. Why can't one guy say, "You know what? I care more about winning. I'll take a lesser deal so we have more money to improve the rest of the team and give us the best chance winning possible."

Because it flat out is a business for these guys.

You would never take less than market value for your salary just so the company could be more profitable.....would you?

Russell has won a Super Bowl and been to another, been a contender since he got there. Now I don't believe he is the reason for all that, but he is the QB of that team. At one point his back up's back up was getting paid more than he was. Rape em Russell, get all your money man.

they already know about where this is going to end up , it will be done and they will all be happy about it when it is over. I don't see Russell going anywhere for a while.

I have no problem paying Cam ridiculous money. I think we are set up to do just that.

Gman has problem on that fortunately.

He is a smart point guard of a qb, but not a guy who carries the team.  He plays the humble, modest qb, but lets face it, he is believing the hype.

And that is all it is.  Put him in Jax, NY, Buffalo, etc. and he is average or below average.

Seattle should play hard ball, and go shopping for another game manager.  Next year should be a good one.  But if you want to keep your Shermans and your Chancellors and your Beast modes, you can't overpay for a game manager.

Because it flat out is a business for these guys.

You would never take less than market value for your salary just so the company could be more profitable.....would you?

Oh I know why they do it.  Most of these guys probably never wanna seriously work again after they get done in the NFL.  They're wanting to set themselves up for life so they're gonna try to get every penny they can.

I just hope Cam doesn't expect to be the highest paid player when his negotiations start. I get the feeling Gettleman will shut that down real quick.

if I am reading the thread right... RW didn't win by himself. The Panthers have won quite a few games because of Cam. Therefore,

Cam is gonna get paid.

And a top defense as well. There is selective attention here.

No player ever wins or loses games "by themselves".

The whole idea is ridiculous.

Wilson didn't win a Super Bowl, the Seahawks did. This ain't tennis. But if you're going to say Wilson personally won a Super Bowl you also gotta say he personally lost one too. Sounds like it evens out.

I am not disagreeing with you, but that is the reality of the situation. Just look at the Joe Flacco contract.

I don't think many people believe that Cam should take less than he deserves. I believe (at least I feel) he should get what he deserves, but not get stupid with it. Being 10s of millions away at 20 mil a year........is stupid. For ANYBODY!!! I think people would love it if Cam decided to give a small discount, but not many truly expect it. It's more of us not having to pay 28 mil a year for one player. I hope Cam is paid fair, but nothing ridiculous.

My dream of dreams is for RW to sign $100 mil guaranteed and then say fug you and retire and play baseball.