Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hugor Hill

UNC releases the NCAA's NOTICE OF ALLEGATIONS

We'll see what happens.  

You know it's ironic that you are one to champion this cause, seeing as two of your school's students were mired in NCAA controversy and got away with it.  So it's ok for you to buy Maggette and Thomas's excuses but it's not ok for UNC fans to buy what UNC is selling?  Hypocritical much?

We'll see what happens.  

You know it's ironic that you are one to champion this cause, seeing as two of your school's students were mired in NCAA controversy and got away with it.  So it's ok for you to buy Maggette and Thomas's excuses but it's not ok for UNC fans to buy what UNC is selling?  Hypocritical much?

​Well I don't see how Maggette accepting $2,000 from his AAU coach has anything to do with Duke, which is why when the NCAA investigated it cleared Duke.  Thomas got a loan from a store, I don't think that breaks NCAA rules does it?

​Well I don't see how Maggette accepting $2,000 from his AAU coach has anything to do with Duke, which is why when the NCAA investigated it cleared Duke.  Thomas got a loan from a store, I don't think that breaks NCAA rules does it?

​And tell me how a college player can get a loan for almost $70,000?  Could it have been money fronted to him in anticipation of being an NBA player?  No, of course not, because then that would clearly be a violation of NCAA rules.  Take your dark blue glasses off.  See what I did there?

And also do you deny that Maggette broke NCAA rules by accepting the money from the AAU coach?  And it matters to Duke because he would have been considered ineligible to compete.

And tell me how a college player can get a loan for almost $70,000?  Could it have been money fronted to him in anticipation of being an NBA player?  No, of course not, because then that would clearly be a violation of NCAA rules.  Take your dark blue glasses off.  See what I did there?

And also do you deny that Maggette broke NCAA rules by accepting the money from the AAU coach?  And it matters to Duke because he would have been considered ineligible to compete.

​Man we have already covered this in the Lance Thomas thread.  I got a loan for my $125,000 condo when I was in college so I would assume he got his loan the same way.  Are we really going to act like it was a done deal that Thomas was going to play pro ball?  I mean if he really talked the jeweler into this deal on future NBA earnings then he got hustled.  Like I said I don't know their exact arrangement but it's not that had to get a loan especially if you have good credit.  

Maggette did break NCAA rules and that's why they investigated but they found Duke wasn't involved and had no way of knowing CM took some cash from his coach back in high school.  

​Man we have already covered this in the Lance Thomas thread.  I got a loan for my $125,000 condo when I was in college so I would assume he got his loan the same way.  Are we really going to act like it was a done deal that Thomas was going to play pro ball?  I mean if he really talked the jeweler into this deal on future NBA earnings then he got hustled.  Like I said I don't know their exact arrangement but it's not that had to get a loan especially if you have good credit.  

Maggette did break NCAA rules and that's why they investigated but they found Duke wasn't involved and had no way of knowing CM took some cash from his coach back in high school.  ​

Were you working?  Was Thomas working?  Banks don't just hand out 70,000 with no collateral or means to pay back.  In any case, the point was that what he did was wrong, according to the NCAA rules on this...other athletes and the schools they played for got penalized, but Thomas didn't.  

No I didn't harp on this when it was an issue and I really don't want to harp on it now, but my point is that if you really care that much about athletes and the school being held responsible for breaking rules then you should be up in arms about this.  But you're not, and we both know why.  Spin it all you want but you're disingenuous.

Were you working?  Was Thomas working?  Banks don't just hand out 70,000 with no collateral or means to pay back.  In any case, the point was that what he did was wrong, according to the NCAA rules on this...other athletes and the schools they played for got penalized, but Thomas didn't.  

No I didn't harp on this when it was an issue and I really don't want to harp on it now, but my point is that if you really care that much about athletes and the school being held responsible for breaking rules then you should be up in arms about this.  But you're not, and we both know why.  Spin it all you want but you're disingenuous.

So a kid getting a loan is the same as 18 years of fake classes? Sorry but that is not even close. Plus we have no idea why Thomas was given the loan, his mom is pretty well off so that could be the reason.

So a kid getting a loan is the same as 18 years of fake classes? Sorry but that is not even close. Plus we have no idea why Thomas was given the loan, his mom is pretty well off so that could be the reason.

​Not trying to equivocate but a rule is a rule is it not?

​Not trying to equivocate but a rule is a rule is it not?

Nope. That's why there are different levels and why they investigate. 1600 athletes is > 1 athlete right? If you want to show me emails or other items that show a violation occurred with Thomas then we can continue this conversation otherwise you are deflecting.

Nope. That's why there are different levels and why they investigate. 1600 athletes is > 1 athlete right? If you want to show me emails or other items that show a violation occurred with Thomas then we can continue this conversation otherwise you are deflecting.

​I can't take you seriously if you are defending rule breaking at your own school.  No need to debate this with you any further.

​I can't take you seriously if you are defending rule breaking at your own school.  No need to debate this with you any further.

There was no rule breaking or did I miss the NOA that Duke received?

1600 rule breakers!

Haven't seen a lot about it, but I think the far more significant event in all of this is the accreditation punishment.  UNC is one miss-step away from losing its accreditation as a college.  While that is highly unlikely to happen, just being so close has got to sting, both in the faculty and the state government.  We can talk about the unfairness of the NCAA rules, or what Duke did, or some other school, but when you start discussing accreditation, it gets really serious for UNC.  A school that was ranked in the top 30 schools in the country academically has been put on probation by the agency that accredits them.  They (either the University or NCAA or both) have put the hammer down on this one.