Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thebigcat

Confederate Flag.... Hate or Heritage?

You can rationalize things, and argue history until you are blue in the face.

The flag should not be on any public building. Dump it off in a museum, where it belongs.

You can rationalize things, and argue history until you are blue in the face.

The flag should not be on any public building. Dump it off in a museum, where it belongs.

I dont think there is anyone here that thinks it has a place on any government building or property.

I agree with you.

I always found it odd that the battle flag is used and not the stars and bars or whatever the primary flag was called. Tended to make me skeptical of the "heritage" argument given the groups that use the battle flag routinely. I believe plenty of people do use the battle flag as a symbol of their heritage but I wonder how many would have if not for the hate groups that popularized it.

And, to be clear I don't have a problem with private individuals using the flag. I may be skeptical of it but that is their right. The govt, tho... sigh.

I always found it odd that the battle flag is used and not the stars and bars or whatever the primary flag was called. Tended to make me skeptical of the "heritage" argument given the groups that use the battle flag routinely. I believe plenty of people do use the battle flag as a symbol of their heritage but I wonder how many would have if not for the hate groups that popularized it.

I'm going to guess it's because General Lee is a big symbol for the South. He was their greatest general. That flag represents Lee. When people think of the Confederacy, they see him, not the president of the CSA. So I guess it would only make sense to use his battle flag over the CSA flag.

He would be ashamed of how people represent him today, though. I'm talking about the bigots that fly this flag out of hatred with a claim that the South will rise again. The flag has been misrepresented by hate groups. If only they knew their history...

As some have put it, he was a great man at the wrong time. 

Here's a quote from his body servant, Rev. William Mack Lee :

"I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world. There was never one born of a woman greater than Gen. Robert E. Lee, according to my judgement. All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."

I'm all for taking the flags down. With it's adoption to so many hate groups, it should've never been flying at a government building. Unfortunately, it's now a symbol of hatred and white supremacy. 

I will claim its part of my heritage, but I won't pretend to be ignorant to the fact that it's a symbol of terrorism to some.(Yeah, I said terrorism, get over it. ) 

I guess my point is this. Slavery is a pretty damn big part of American and British heritage, but, err, heritage shaming seems relegated to the American south, of which nearly all of its citizens never owned slaves. All because the south fought a war to ultimately keep it ~200 +4 years instead of ~200 years. It's an interesting dynamic.

Because unlike England and USA, the Confederate States of America was created for the sole purpose of continuing a barbaric practice that was outlawed by the afore mentioned parties.

I'm as southern as they come; born in Savannah, GA and moved to NC @ 10 yo. I've been steeped in confederate history/lore my entire life... GTFOH with that heritage bullshit! It's about hate, through and through.

I'm going to guess it's because General Lee is a big symbol for the South. He was their greatest general. That flag represents Lee. When people think of the Confederacy, they see him, not the president of the CSA. So I guess it would only make sense to use his battle flag over the CSA flag.

He would be ashamed of how people represent him today, though. I'm talking about the bigots that fly this flag out of hatred with a claim that the South will rise again. The flag has been misrepresented by hate groups. If only they knew their history...

As some have put it, he was a great man at the wrong time. 

Here's a quote from his body servant, Rev. William Mack Lee :

"I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world. There was never one born of a woman greater than Gen. Robert E. Lee, according to my judgement. All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."

I'm all for taking the flags down. With it's adoption to so many hate groups, it should've never been flying at a government building. Unfortunately, it's now a symbol of hatred and white supremacy. 

I will claim its part of my heritage, but I won't pretend to be ignorant to the fact that it's a symbol of terrorism to some.(Yeah, I said terrorism, get over it. ) 

The Lee bit makes sense, though you are very right Lee would be troubled with what people are doing with that symbol.

Because unlike England and USA, the Confederate States of America was created for the sole purpose of continuing a barbaric practice that was outlawed by the afore mentioned parties.

I'm as southern as they come; born in Savannah, GA and moved to NC @ 10 yo. I've been steeped in confederate history/lore my entire life... GTFOH with that heritage bullshit! It's about hate, through and through.

I wasn't talking about the flag, I was talking about this exercise in saying that southern heritage is sh*tty heritage so it doesn't matter what the flag represents. That's bullsh*t IMO

I haven't seen many people other than mouth breathing buffoons publicly boasting about their southern "heritage".

I haven't seen many people other than mouth breathing buffoons publicly boasting about their southern "heritage".

I haven't met anyone that walks around boasting about their heritage, other than dumbasses, so there's that.

The South wasn't fighting for "4 more years"  it was fighting to preserve and expand the institution of slavery from coast to coast during a time when Britain and other civilized nations had already outlawed the institution

The average Southerner had little to gain and much to lose from a war with the North.  Spurred on by calls of "states rights" and "free trade" their lives would have likely changed little had the South won the war.  They were mostly poor dirt farmers before the conflict and they would be mostly poor dirt farmers afterwards.

The South's economic model was designed to favor the fortunate few not the masses. In reality, the vast majority of Southerners who died in the war were nothing more than cannon fodder for those who possessed the real power, the landed gentry.

The South's one percent were fully committed to an economic system that had made them wealthy beyond the imagination of most people of the day.  Come hell or high water, the landed gentry were fighting to preserve an economic system based on slavery.  The buying, selling, breeding and enslavement of human beings for profit.

That is what all variations of the Confederate flag symbolized then and now.

I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse address your post while sticking to the content of the post, lol

i mean all else aside i'm drunk but i'm just saying the south can get fuged is all

i mean all else aside i'm drunk but i'm just saying the south can get fuged is all

It'll rise again. You'll see, you'll all see. 

Which country are you drunk in now?