Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gazi

Virginia TV reporter, photographer shot to death during live interview this morning

If I owned a gun, I don't know how having my firearm registered would prevent crimes.  I could see how it would contribute to possibly prosecuting me in the event of a crime being committed (or not for that matter).  I could also see how it would be used as a means for confiscation:

http://reason.com/archives/2013/12/11/how-government-officials-sealed-the-doom

Ah, the old 'party swap' myth. That's a nice myth. Shame it isn't actually true. I mean, to be sure, neither party is exactly the same as it was 150 years ago. But there are certainly elements of it scattered throughout - like, for example, how the 'progressive' era (mainly perpetuated by Democrats) was one of incredible racism.

lol did you just cite noted conservative opinion piece national review? did you notice how they completely ignored the role the southern strategy played in influencing how electoral maps have changed? 

"the democrats were pro-slavery therefore they are the real racists now" is a fuging stupid argument crafted to cater to fuging stupid people who demand nothing more than fuging stupid arguments to compound their fuging stupid worldviews.

Myth? It is historical fact, you flunked history I'm sure.

The historical fact is that both parties, prior to the most recent realignment (1970s on, basically) were big tent parties with liberal, moderate, and conservative wings; neither party was uniformly liberal or conservative. For example, Grover Cleveland - a Democrat - was a staunch conservative and classical liberal, and won the popular vote three times from 1884 to 1892. In 1896, he lost control of the party to a populist/progressive wing, embodied by William Jennings Bryan, which controlled the party until around 1924. More recently, we saw the liberal Republicans either lose office or become Democrats, and the conservative Democrats either lose office or become Republicans, and even that wasn’t solid until the last few legislative cycles). 

As the articles I linked note, the South became more Republican as it became less racist - southern Democrats voted that way to their grave most of the time. Even then, it wasn’t until 2000 that the Deep South finally shifted firmly, 100% red, and 2004 when it became thoroughly out of reach. Republicans first won the ‘border south’ states (like Virginia, NC, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc.) under Eisenhower, and only managed to win the Deep South states during 1964 (when Goldwater was the weaker candidate on civil rights) and national landslides like 1972, 1984, and 1988; In 1976 - a very, very close election - Democrats swept the entire south, despite Republicans winning almost everything else. 1980 was actually very, very close in most southern states - within a few percentage points. Carter was still popular there. And of course, Clinton won many southern states in both 1992 and 1996. 

The simplistic ‘party switch’ claim, where both parties magically changed everything they believed in, simply doesn’t match reality. What really happened was Democrats lost their conservative wing, and Republicans lost the liberal wing.

lol did you just cite noted conservative opinion piece national review? did you notice how they completely ignored the role the southern strategy played in influencing how electoral maps have changed? 

The impact of the 'southern strategy' is incredibly overstated. Nixon targeted the border south in 1968, and lost the entire deep south to a southern Democrat, George Wallace. He did win the south in 1972, but won everywhere else as well because the Democrat was an unelectable far-left lunatic. Carter won literally the entire south in 1976 (funny how no one mentions his southern strategy), making up for the fact he lost basically everywhere else. And he held much of that support in 1980, winning Georgia and keep margins far closer than the national popular vote margin. It wasn't until 1984 and 1988 - both landslides - that Republicans started getting better margins in the south than the national vote, and that was almost erased under Clinton. The South didn't truly become solid red presidentially until 2000, didn't become unwindable for Democrats until 2004, and didn't become thoroughly Republican at the state level until 2014. If there was a southern strategy, it didn't work very well.

"the democrats were pro-slavery therefore they are the real racists now" is a fuging stupid argument crafted to cater to fuging stupid people who demand nothing more than fuging stupid arguments to compound their fuging stupid worldviews.

Where did I make that argument? I think there are credible ways to pin Democratic policies at racist (namely, the fact that progressivism as founded was tremendously racist), just not intentionally. I think it's racist, for instance, to assume black people are too stupid to get free photo IDs, or sexist to think the only issues women care about are their private parts (and of course, they all have to agree with progressives on that issue)

tsk tsk

tsk tsk

lol i didn't say TN05 was fuging stupid, i said he's lowering himself to adopting a fuging stupid argument. there are much better ways to argue that democratic policies are racist or that GOP policies aren't without trying to connect them to the civil war as though there's any kind of meaningful continuity.

lol i didn't say TN05 was fuging stupid, i said he's lowering himself to adopting a fuging stupid argument. there are much better ways to argue that democratic policies are racist or that GOP policies aren't without trying to connect them to the civil war as though there's any kind of meaningful continuity.

this is all fine and i don't disagree with your general point but i think you're sorta splitting hairs when you make a distinction between a) quoting a poster and calling some nebulous person who might suggest such a thing fuging stupid for making such a stupid argument and b) addressing the person, the (fuging stupid?) person who made the post that inspired the response, directly. if you had quoted me instead, i wouldn't have made a distinction between the two. imo efforts to police discourse in what i believe to be such a superficial way are a manifestation of respectability politics that are, sometimes purposefully and sometimes not, used to steer discussion in a less productive direction (yes, even less productive than treating the source of bad posts with very little respect) and obscure substance in a way most beneficial to the culprit. i think your post is ok; it's the nuanced set of posting rules under which you operate that have me a little uh, puzzled.

tl;dr i have a dream that my little posters will one day post on a message board where they will not be judged by the tone of their arguments, but by the content of their posts

The reason I pied that post was because I knew the post would make y'all angry. Just trolling. :P