• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARSEN

College = ponzi scheme

You don't have to have a master degree to be a CPA in NC. You need 30 hours in accounting and 150 total credit hours. Business Law is considered an accounting class but most people don't know it. Principles I and II are also count toward your 30 hours. You need just 1 elective and you are golden.

A masters degree in accounting is only like 6 hours more, so why not just do that unless you already have or almost have 150 hours of credit? A lot of accounting jobs require a masters degree anyway.

My girlfriend had an accounting internship with Sonic Automotive over the summer and has some interviews in the coming week with some CPA firms. Sonic and some of the others she has spoken with require a Masters degree for many of their positions. She has no extracurricular activities and a GPA slightly lower that yours, so perhaps your resume or cover letter needs some work? Or perhaps you should attend career events such as meet the firms (which they had last week) if you do not do so already.

Best of luck in your job search. I know what it's like to look for a job. It took me a few months to find one and I anticipate looking again soon as the job market improves.

hey would i have seen you near Presbyterian hospital on the corner of Eliz/Hawthorne about 2 weeks ago?

Possible, was I on foot/ in a hurry?

Possible, was I on foot/ in a hurry?

On foot? Yes. In a hurry, I dont know, i sped off in my car after honking and flipping you off...

So you're the bastard who ran over my foot! You'll be hearing from my lawyer...

I'm going to tick some people off but due to the flat world(fiz will really love that) the playing field has changed and WHERE you go to school is not as important as it use to be.

On some levels I think a college degree is more of a standardized rite of passage in the US and I only think it means you stayed in school 4 years and did what you were told to get a degree. Did you really learn anything?

Arsen you are now realizing how the world works. While in school, it's rare you have someone teach the long view.

Within all the classes on econ I would hope most if not all of your prof's saw the collapse coming. If not then I want to see where they are investing in.

It's a super tight market. Technology makes it even tougher.

One guy gets 4 yr degree, another an associate but brings in two more years of real world also gets the edge.

Some folks hire someone simply because they went to college. Background, business acumen etc means nothing. Others value work exp.

My advice right now would be take whatever you can get. If there is a company you would like to do great work for, start at the bottom if that's all they have.

A years worth of doing some humble, grunt work, to me, trumps anything you learn in college.

Like my boys from Steely Dan says, "the weekend at the college, didn't turn out like you planned, the things they pass for knowledge I can't understand"

Look, outside of upper echelon schools are there really any Sales/Marketing/Economic geniuses teaching classes? I know most of mine were losers. Of course, i just went an average state school.

It can still be important to have that degree if you want to advance. My father would tell you that. He is a great sales person, but not having a diploma has limited how far he could go in the corporate world. He realizes its bullshit, but he also realizes the facts and made sure we knew it. One of my brothers got his degree, another didnt.

One brother got a degree in landscape architecture, and was doing well in his field, but got laid off last year like every other LA i know. He is now in sales, not using any of the degree he worked hard to get, but he is doing well. Even though he isnt using the degree, he will always have it.

Other brother didnt mix well with college. Didnt finish. He is a tech geek and has a decent computer job, but, he probably wont ever be in management, unless he uses his smarts to do something on his own.

If you want to work for the "Man" and go far. Get a degree.

If you are entrepreneurial and smart, do your own thing and go as far as you want.

I work for the man, but sometimes i wish i had a bit more entrepreneur in me.

Ive been in the military for close to 7 years now as a computer programmer. I have an associates degree, and am a senior in CIS. Ive been an Oracle DBA for the past 2 years. I had an interview today for a DBA job for 90,000 a year. I absolutely hate being a DBA and writing code period, and Im starting to realize that a degree in CIS really isnt that great.....thats why instead of taking a very well paying job, I am switching schools and switching majors to Computer Engineering. I am going to have to suck it up for the next year and a half or so, but I think it will work out for me in the end.

The GI Bill kicks major ass.

I'm not joking here but now that you have a degree get a commission with the military, you get excellent pay/bene's and depending upon your job lot's of travel (and not just to the sandbox)

AFOSI is in high demand, good bonus, and you get to where suits all day and play FBI.

That really sucks Arsen, but welcome to one of the harshest realities of the world, its less about what you know, but who you know. In some cases, you can get by on having an amazing resume, but I only know one person who'se done that, my wife (she's freaking brilliant...and I'm not just saying that).

Pretty much everyone I know outside of education got where they got through connections and favors. As an arts teacher, I applied at several districts for two years and got no hits. But when a friend of mine had an opening at her school, that's when I got in. its certainly different for each school district and each subject area, but arts jobs are hard to come by sometimes.

I'd suggest if you want to stay local, find networking groups like the Young Affiliates of the Mint Museum. its a great place to meet people and make connections.

Though I'd never think college is a waste or a ponzi, though it might feel that way. Its an experience like anything else. I know I did learn a lot of skills which I use on a daily basis. I know I matured as a person, and grew up from the adolescent jerk I was, to a not so adolescent jerk =) I wouldn't trade all of the "experiences" I had for all that money I spent.

Good luck Arsen. The world suck, especially now, but there's still opportunity, somewhere...

I reget not going to college, but the military, and picking a technical skill that made me sign up for 6 years, really benefitted me. Got a job within a few months of getting out making more than I thought I would, and have made myself a pretty good career in computer systems without learning anything about computers till I was almost out of the military.

Daughter is going to school to become a dental hygenist - she looked up what made money and sounded interesting to her, and went for it. It's technical and in the health field, and those skills are going to be in demand for a while.

Same here. Spent 10 years in the Navy as a Spook, then when I got out, just happened to meet up with some former Naval Intel people who worked for the bank. Thats how I got my job, and fortunately I have managed to hang on to it. I did go to college, took some courses in the military and then went to night school after I got the job at the bank. It did help my career in the bank a bit.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CPsinceDay1

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts