• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Goondal

How about those RED SOX! Part Deux

I really hope we don't make any major deals cause I'd really like to keep Devers, Swihart, and Groome. 3B will continue to be a problem, my hope is Holt can come back sometime soon and fill in. Sale has been fantastic and Pomeranz has been good lately even if he throws like 120 pitches thru 6 innings. Hopefully Price will find the form he had in the 2nd half of last season and Porcello can at least have some positive regression to the mean.

I think the key is Hanley. We really need him to start hitting. JBJ has been on fire recently and the rest of the lineup (besides 3B) carries their weight as well.

• Pie 1

Hanley has definitely been a disappointment and one that I was worried about.  He does not hav the mentality to be a DH and it showed when he struggled in the OF.  He needs to be more involved to keep his head in the game.

That being said, I love Moreland.  I was excited about his signing and he has not disappointed.

There's some hope Hanley is starting to heat up again like he did last year. Raised his batting average 18 points from mid-June. Other good news, Brian Johnson made a rehab start and Holt DH'd a game in Pawtucket.

Yankees coming back down to earth, they will go as far as their hitting can take them with no pitching depth. Rays are slugging their way to barely above .500 while the Orioles and Blue Jays are slowly imploding

• Pie 1

Six game winning streak including two victories from Price.  Maybe he is starting to find himself.  It is really important that he is so that Dombrowski is not tempted to dump big prospects on SP.  We do not need new SP, just for the guys we have to get healthy (Eduardo) and do what they are capable of (Price, Porcello).  If Price can keep building on this then it will be big.

Our ten game road trip to close the first half is also off to a good start (4-0)

I am not really worried about anybody in our division to be honest.  None of them are major threats.  I am more concerned about October.  Hopefully the Tribe will have to settle for a WC, then we can get KC or Minny in the LDS and find our footing before going facing that juggernaut in Houston.

8-2 L10 and three games up in the loss column.  I like it. =)

• Pie 1

Was disappointed with the final series and the 1-4 finish to the first half, no idea why we suck so bad against that awful franchise.  Still, it was a successful first half..

23-17 record during the stretch I meantioned six weeks ago and lead the division by 3.5 (only two in the loss column on NY, four on TB) at the break.

Second half will have forty-two games at home with only thirty-one away from Fenway.  In addition, we pulled our road record to .500 (25-25).  Only three teams in the AL having winning records on the road, Houston of course as well as Cleveland and Kansas City (oddly both have losing home records).

New York has played forty-three games at home and on the road Tampa has played forty-six at home and forty-four on the road so it is a definite advantage.

Seventeen of our twenty-three games coming out of the break are at home (with only one off day) so our home/road breakdown will be even in a few weeks.  That is followed by five each road and home.  In those thirty-three games we play the Yankees nine times (six home, three road).

The other twenty-four games include sixteen games against teams with losing records, Toronto and the White Sox for four, Anaheim and Seattle for three and St. Louis for two.  The Anaheim/Seattle swing is a west coast swing which sometimes is tough but it is a favorable stretch.

The other eight games include three each at home against Kansas City and Cleveland and two on the road in Tampa.

One oddity is that we have twenty-three games in twenty-four days followed by ten games in fourteen days (two five game weeks).  Figured they would break off days up better than that.

These thirty three games are our time.  The goal should be to push the lead to six or seven games by the end of it.

Edited by Goondal
  • Pie 1

I think I am going to go to see them the last Saturday of the regular season when my son and I go up to see Pats/Panthers. Can't wait, it's been a few years since I've been at Fenway. Never been in the fall, it's always super hot when I've been there....

• Pie 2

From 2008 - went with a buddy who is a Mets fan but supported the Red Sox that weekend. 12 innings with a rain delay and a walk off Youk HR to beat the Cards, doesn't get too much better

IMG_4505.JPG

• Pie 1

Bad way to enter the break, should have at least split that series with the Rays. If we can go at least 6-3 against the Yankees in those 9 games I'll be very confident about winning the division. Even more so if we make a move for another bat at 3B.

• Pie 1

Just saw that we will not be trading Rafael Devers.  After the last few days with the Panthers this is a relief.  This is the difference between a successful organization and an unsuccessful one.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, Goondal said:

Just saw that we will not be trading Rafael Devers.  After the last few days with the Panthers this is a relief.  This is the difference between a successful organization and an unsuccessful one.

Sox fans are pissed off enough at Dombrowski for trading Shaw for Thornburg and Espinoza for Pomeranz as it is. Glad to see they promoted Devers to AAA, hoping Holt can be the stopgap option along Marerro/Lin until perhaps September when Devers could be promoted. Also nice to see Price with a strong outing, hoping he can be the reliable #2 behind Sale.

• Pie 1

I will be honest, I would have made that Shaw trade 100 times out of 100 and do not believe he would be putting up those numbers in the AL East in Boston.  The fans are correct on Espinoza though.  Pomeranz has pitched well but he is inability to go deep into games still makes him a #5 on a contending team.  A good SP5, but an SP5 none the less.  An elite pitching prospect is worth more than that.

I feel the opposite. While I didn't expect Shaw to perform anywhere near as well as he is currently doing, I thought he was our best option at 3rd for now and trading him away was betting pretty heavily on Sandoval returning to a form that he has never been in with the Sox.

Meanwhile we got a middle of the rotation starter in return for a prospect who is a long way from the majors and with the Sox track record of developing pitchers I am not confident he would have turned out much better than Buchholz or Henry Owens, etc. Pomeranz also can come out of the bullpen so he has an added versatility despite his inability to consistently pitch deep into games as a starter.