• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

Black Panther the movie

I'm guessing it's still more difficult for a black person to rise in the ranks of the military, especially after a certain point, than it is a white person.

Just now, Harbingers said:

Again, I ask you what have you done besides talk about it.

I'm not sure what you mean as far as what have I done?  There's very little I can do as an individual, to right the wrongs of history.  Speaking on it is key to influencing others who don't necessarily know the history.

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

I'm not sure what you mean as far as what have I done?  There's very little I can do as an individual, to right the wrongs of history.  Speaking on it is key to influencing others who don't necessarily know the history.

You think that’s what MLK told himself?

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

As a black person here in the US, I can't relate to the Black Panther.  He's an African trillionaire.  Now a character like Blade, I find myself more relatable to.  Of course overall, I'm not much of a superhero/comic book fan like the older generation.  So I don't really get all that giddy when a superhero movie comes out.

A lot of black people are hyped over Black Panther, saying it's nice to have a movie showing black characters in a positive light.  If they are looking for such movies, we shouldn't project that on this particular movie because it doesn't tell the story of a black American.  Kind of like "Coming to America", it portrays a foreign kingdom, that is hidden away from the world.  Although when it comes to a positive image of black people on the big screen in and of itself, I don't think that is what black people need specifically.  What we really need is actual money in our pockets, to live a good life.  I don't want to just feel good about myself, I want to actually be good.

The Blade trilogy never happened silly.  That is what the left wing morons want you to believe anyway so they can continue to spout off about how they finally have a black superhero movie.  LOL  What a bunch of morons. 

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

If they are looking for such movies, we shouldn't project that on this particular movie because it doesn't tell the story of a black American. 

100% wrong

28 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

People should watch the movie before making ignorant comments in here. I saw it last night and it's definitely one of if not the best Marvel efforts so far. I didn't find it overly political at all. I don't want to spoil anything, but the issue of Wakanda having advanced tech and lots of money while black people across the world struggle is a major theme in the film.

It really is a special film in that it is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I think it is specifically tailored for the black experience in America and probably across the world. The film touches on themes that as a white dude, I can only empathize with but I know hit home with a many in black community. Ryan Coogler and Co. did a fantastic job of making the film that way unapologetically, but its not overbearing or alienating in a way people seem to think it is.

I definitely haven't seen the film, so I can't speak to the things you mentioned.  I do think it sucks having one of the wealthiest people in the Marvel world, a black man, hide away from the world.  He should be influencing the world if he's that wealthy.

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

You think that’s what MLK told himself?

I remember MLK saying this....

3 minutes ago, tondi said:

The Blade trilogy never happened silly.  That is what the left wing morons want you to believe anyway so they can continue to spout off about how they finally have a black superhero movie.  LOL  What a bunch of morons. 

Heehee.  Well, speaking for myself, I don't lean one way or the other.  Blade actually did a lot for superhero movies, and made them popular again.  After the "Batman and Robin" debacle, Blade gave credibility to superhero movies once again.

Just now, Matthias said:

I definitely haven't seen the film, so I can't speak to the things you mentioned.  I do think it sucks having one of the wealthiest people in the Marvel world, a black man, hide away from the world.  He should be influencing the world if he's that wealthy

again, this is one of the major themes of the entire movie

Well this thread is going places.

Already one instance of unnecessarily invoking MLK, and white folks trying to tell black people how to feel about their own experiences.

Yep, it's the carolina huddle.

7 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

@Matthias I don't want to give away the whole movie but I would recommend going to see it, you might come away pleasantly surprised

Of course I haven't been to the movies in a while.  I might take up your offer and go see it, usually I wait until it comes out on DVD. (I'm not that social haha!)

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

@Matthias

i didn’t ask you what he said, I asked you if you think what you said is what he told himself every day.

I believe he told himself black people have no money, yeah.  Although he spoke also for everyone who was poor, no doubt the driving force was the condition of black people.  That condition haven't changed much in terms of economics.

Back to movie, I might go see it, to see what the fuss is about.

49 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Again, I ask you what have you done besides talk about it.

What can he do besides talk about it, and give back to his community and other communities; which I’m sure he’s doing? 

Anyways, the wifey and I will be going to see it tonight. She went out and purchased both me and her dashikis and other African garments, lol. Not trying to be in all that, but anything to make her happy I suppose. Also, being here in Atlanta, I’m sure we won’t be the only ones dressed up. Heard it was good, but I’ve never been into super hero flicks like that. 

27 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Of course I haven't been to the movies in a while.  I might take up your offer and go see it, usually I wait until it comes out on DVD. (I'm not that social haha!)

Back to movie, I might go see it, to see what the fuss is about.

It’s definitely worth seeing in theaters, if not for the visual spectacles and sound alone.

I'll catch it at some point I'm sure. Haven't decided on if I'll buy a ticket. 

I hate superhero movies and I'm against the existence of disney/marvel as a company. It probably sucks but it's still perceived to be a culturally significant movie, so I don't want to miss out  

2 minutes ago, SZ James (banned) said:

I'll catch it at some point I'm sure. Haven't decided on if I'll buy a ticket. 

I hate superhero movies and I'm against the existence of disney/marvel as a company. It probably sucks but it's still perceived to be a culturally significant movie, so I don't want to miss out  

Yea, I don’t care for super hero movies either, but I see why this is a big deal, so I’ll support. Truthfully, I’d rather go to the cigar bar with my boys tonight than to sit in the theater. Spent $40 on tickets, and I’m sure the ole lady is going to want some pop corn and a drink; that’s another $30. She damn near went into a rage when I said I was going to Kodi gang it lol

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Cbee

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts