• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

Black Panther the movie

Watched it today and LOVED it 

Erik Killmonger was the best Marvel villain maybe ever and definitely best since Loki.  The character was the most complex and sympathetic villain to date in the MCU.  And Michael B Jordan is one of the best actors in Hollywood today.

Also, Letitia Wright stole the movie as Black Panther's sister.

I saw it a couple hours ago. It's not bad, the Wakandian world was dope and I liked Tchallas sister and to a lesser extent Chadwick Boseman.

One thing I'll say is that I was disappointed in Michael B Jordan's character. Not his back story or motive just his acting/dialogue. I don't know where the blame lies there but that was the biggest missed opportunity for me.

Just saw it. Awesome movie. Shuri was great. Considering it wasn't the Panther against some super villains, they did a very good job with the story lines. I'm obviously watching it again and again. 

3 hours ago, SZ James (banned) said:

I saw it a couple hours ago. It's not bad, the Wakandian world was dope and I liked Tchallas sister and to a lesser extent Chadwick Boseman.

One thing I'll say is that I was disappointed in Michael B Jordan's character. Not his back story or motive just his acting/dialogue. I don't know where the blame lies there but that was the biggest missed opportunity for me.

I also thought his acting and dialogue was lacking. Shuri tchalla and Lupitas characters were my favorite. 

Just looking at this as an action movie, it was pretty great.  From start to finish, it had me on the edge of my seat.  The costume designs as many have said, look great as well.  I was kind of disappointed with the look of Killmonger's Black Panther suit.  Not that it looked bad, but I feel like a little more liberty could have taken place to give him his own unique look.  Looking at one of his looks in the comics.....

image.png.fd22fc7e0635bae469bc6269eb26dcaf.png

I would have liked to see his armor be based on that design.  Of course in the movie he wore a mask that was probably based off this look, but without the armor, it didn't look right to me.  Overall as an action movie, Black Panther was good.

Yet this was presented to us as more than just a movie.  It introduced themes that I'm pretty sure wasn't present in the comics.  Particularly when it came to Killmonger, as they changed his backstory a bit.  I got to say, I didn't like the political aim of this movie.  If it were going to introduce these themes about black people suffering due to the history of slavery and colonization, they should have went in all the way.  These are complex issues, and they needed to fully explain why Killmonger was so angry.  As an end result, this movie made Killmonger to look like a raging psychopath, villainizing him and not the world that made him be this way.  In fact, because Killmonger represented black Americans in this film, they pretty much made us the villain.  Haha, some of you may say I'm reading too much into this, but many black people see this movie as a great thing for us.  That we see black people and black actors in a positive light.  Yet how can we say this movie is a positive thing for black people, when it actually shows black Americans in a bad light, making us the villain?  

As I said, these were complicated themes that needed to be fleshed out more.  Even though just about everyone understands Killmonger in this film, in the end people walk away with the sense that he was extreme in his views.  People say he was too radical.  All the blame is on Killmonger, and by relation black Americans for how things are.  That is what this film conveys politically.  Yet if this was truly a movie meant to impact black people, the ending should have condemned the European powers for making Killmonger what he was.  All these CIA agents and the history of America shutting black people out, that is stuff I wanted to see acknowledged.  Yet the emphasis was all on Killmonger for being this murderous, rampaging guy bent on world domination.

Now I don't want this post to go on for too long.  I did kind of like the part about T'Challa (who by the way illegally regained the throne) setting up an outreach in Oakland.  I say "kind of" because a better ending would be him fully sharing in the wealth of Wakanda to black Americans all over the country, not a charitable outreach program that doesn't change much.  Black people already have charities in this country, but what we need is real resources.  Remember, this is a fictional movie, where a black country has untold resources in Vibranium.  Why didn't the writers go all in, making black people wealthy here in the US, to change their conditions?  Instead, they opt for simple charity, giving crumbs instead of ultimate access.  Which brings me to something I didn't like, where T'Challa goes before the UN, and decides to share Wakanda's resources to the whole world.  Now, I don't have a problem with sharing the wealth and resources to the world.  I'm not an evil person.  My thing is, give it to black people first and foremost!!!!!  Even the playing field to where everyone can participate.  If you share and give the resources to the nations before black people, what's going to happen is the developed nations of the world will get the lion's share.  They will then disseminate that wealth on a "Trickle down" basis.  Ultimately meaning black people will once again be kept at the bottom.  Give us the resources first, Black Panther!

You really wanna go down the path of white psychopaths and theater shootings?  Really?

Wipe your own ass before you try shitting on anyone else, cucktard.

Why are the only people trying to turn this into a racial argument PSC and his, I mean...  some random alt?

Everyone else is talking about the movie.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:25 PM, SZ James (banned) said:

I agree I thought Killmongers dialogue should have been flushed out more. He seemed to speak in generalizations that came across as awkward at times for me. Fantastic film otherwise.