Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotsauce

Does anyone else on here not give a F about college football?

It's like watching minor league baseball teams and trying to keep up with the 100+ of them running around playing games across the country. Too much to keep up with and way, way too much money involved.

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Going to games on the Plains of Auburn, tailgating with my forever friends, great food, great drinks, great people, (usually) great weather, welcoming rival fans in town to stay and have a bite and/or a drink with us, followed by watching my Tigers play?

Can’t be beat.

Droves of RVs and campers start arriving on campus for Saturday Auburn games on the Wednesday before.  If you haven’t marked out and occupied space by early Friday afternoon, you may as well forget about tailgating on campus, cuz there ain’t none left.  College cheerleaders... dance squads... marching bands... the Iron Bowl (Auburn vs. Bama)... the Deep Souths Oldest Rivalry (Auburn vs. Georgia since 1892)... Tradition... Heisman Legends... 

Attempts at these things at the professional level, though they can be successful, are still imitations of the real thing.

With regard to athletic events, there’s nothing that fills the soul like going back to the alma mater and feeling like you’re back “home” with “family”.

If your own college or college experience didn’t or doesn’t provide that to you, then you have my pity and you have my condolences. 

You’re not wrong, you’re really not.  

However, on the flip side, the “older” one gets and realizes how young 18-22 year olds truly are, how inferior the game itself is to the pro game, and what a joke the term “student athlete” really is, it truly does become harder to invest significant time, emotion, and money.  Even Tommy Tubberville at Auburn said “school is #1, football is #2”, while simultaneously displaying a contradictory “2” and “1” with his hands.

Not that scandal isn’t as much a part of intercollegiate athletics as anything, but I truly believe the UNC academic fraud scandal, lack of punishment, and it’s long term effects, will be the death knell of college sports as we know them.

17 hours ago, Lumps said:

I tried to get into watching it but it’s just so amateur. I get that’s the appeal but it’s basically sloppy AF NFL. 

Now going to a game...that’s fun as hell. I wish NFL games had that kind of atmosphere.

Totes agree with this.  I love going to games, but watching them on the TVs is painful.

I have never understood the appeal, outside of your Alma Mater of course, in watching a college team with millions of dollars of financial backing and who could recruit the very top athletes from each state beating the hell out of the barely functional state-run school in a landslide victory of 66-3. Is it also fun to watch a 200 pound school bully hitting a 90 pound classmate?

No competition overall until you get to the bowl games, and it's 50/50 whether or not the teams match up well enough for an exciting game. Even then, most times, it's still often lopsided in the bowl placement. So, no.. college football is boring as hell to me. Never have been a huge fan, and when I happen to catch a game, it's because it's the school I went to.

I went to a school (UMass) that had a terrible football team, so I don't follow college ball. True story: The one game I attended at UMass was when they hosted Boston College, whose QB was Doug Flutie. If I remember correctly, BC won by about 50 points....

I am most definitely invested.  Emotionally and financially.  I have 2 degrees from ECU.

Thank the LORD we finally got rid of our terrible AD.  Once our terrible head coach doesn't live up to his GUARANTEE of 6 wins, we will be rid of him, too.

Being from Massachusetts originally, I never understood the idea that you root for a college that you or your family didn't go to. No one cared about BU or BC or wherever on Saturdays unless you were alumni. It's kind of weird to me TBH,  but everyone down south seems to pick a team and own it even though they've never even visited the campus.

Panthers are the pro football team in Charlotte. I live in Charlotte. We have a connection. UNC? My daughter in law went there so go Tarheels. My wifes family has several WF alumni so yay Deacs. Lots of friends like Clemson but would never ever move there LOL. Good enough?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Hulk Hogan

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • How can you look at the actual footage of this “stomp” or “step” on the flag and think this was some sort of disrespectful act against America? Her teammate dropped the flag beside her while they were all celebrating. The actual truth is you are looking for something that isn’t there because YOU have a bias. Because she is “foul-mouthed” for saying “I’m not going to the fuging White House.” So that’s two lies you’ve stated in this thread.  1. That she said “fug Donald trump” she didn’t, she said “im not going to the fuging White House” in response to an interviewer asking her a question and two 2. That she purposefully stomped on the flag. where are you getting your information from? or are you purposefully lying because you have biases against her and why do you have those? I can understand saying “I wish she didn’t cuss to get her message across” (she even said as much about herself) I mean that’s a weird hill to die on to not like someone but whatever dude (don’t watch all or nothing or you’ll hate the entire panthers organization)
    • Wow it’s finally here. These off seasons seem so long. Glad we made it. I’m excited to here about the competitions. Should be a good one. That All or Nothing made me miss my boys ever more. Let’s go !!
    • That is my general feeling. We need the stars to align for us to have that kind of season. I think we are generally fielding a good roster but our depth is extremely suspect. It will only take a handful of injuries before we likely see some glaring weaknesses.